PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Micro/Mini Contest

Old 01-14-2011, 04:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Great build and very cute! :D
Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 190.42 MB
Hi Pat:
Great idea, downsizing the train.
I downloaded it form here, last summer

agence eureka – old parpercraft
http://bibigreycat.blogspot.com/
It's a blog from a french lady that is doing a wonderful job collecting, or should I say, bringing back to daylight old and forgotten models.
Your idea of shrinking the size solves with wisdom the problem of the dated look. It shows that it is an old model but by giving an impressionist view, our attention is drawn away from the lack of details.
I collected the model without a clue of what to do with it, now I have a guideline.
Rgds
Carlos
Old 01-15-2011, 03:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Thanks Papermate and Thunderchild !

I agree with you Carlos Patricia (Eureka) do great job.
There is an other place of interest, it's an italian guy :

Il favoloso mondo di carta di Totò

He have nice old things too !

My aim with the small train is to create a diorama in the same old style. It's interresting to play with historic design.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:32 AM

Hi Pat:
Tknaks for the italina link, very interesting stuff.
Your vision of a diorama capturing the atmosphere the old look ok of european dioramas is apealling.
In fact, after you showed the tatebankos I got curious with what were the europeans doing, using modern printing. To my surprise I found on Patricia's site a wealth of little dioramas printed offste. Nothing to compare to handmade printings, but nevertheless quite elaborate. I particularly like the solution of most of them of creating a half-round backdrop to close the scene and set the mood. Then there are the dannish and the german printings. From the USA I found once a collection of b&w printings that I believed were distributed as extras on newspapers. They were very simple automata, but had a sharp humor. Unfortunelly I wasn't carefull to take note of the link. I believe it was from the West Coast, L.A. or San Francisco.
Rgds
Carlos
Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 AM

Carlos : There was a great period in Europe and in America for paper models wich start around 1850. I'm very interesseted by this period.
Some tatebankos are older than that period, but the oldest paper model I know was design around 1529

Now I have finished the train himself and I must create the railroad and the bridge.

Today, I found a picture of the train at the real size.
Here, the big train
Attached Thumbnails
Pat Craft's Micro-Mini contest entry-train1.jpg   Pat Craft's Micro-Mini contest entry-train2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Hi Pat:
It is coming out very interesting your project. I checked the Epinal kit and the bridge is not included, you'll have to scratchbuild one. But in this scale an Art-Deco approach as in the advertising image of the model will work fine. I just remenbered a diorama kit also in Patricia's blog of a scene in the southern France coast. It is a boxed diorama (or shadow box) and looks to me to be an interesting solution for your diormaa. eventually pasting both kits.
As for the paper models and its history, they are a good window to the private life of families in the period you mention. We tend to look at the military History or economical, but there is a quiet side of History, the one of the family structure. Paper models and paper theaters are a sign of economical growth, the advent of leisure and the concpet of childhood.
I got curious about your mention of a paper model from early XVIth century. You mean a tatebanko or an european paper model?
Rgds
Carlos
Old 01-20-2011, 03:30 PM

Here, you can found some informations about the oldest paper model I know :

Renaissance Crucifix Sundial Card Model | Tektonten Papercraft - Free Papercraft, Paper Models, Card Models and Paper Toys

Arbeitskreis Geschichte des Kartonmodellbaus (AGK) e.V.

Modellbogen Shop | Modellbogen Shop - Karton Modellbaubogen - Bastelbogen - Bastelbögen - maquettes en carton - Maquettes en papier | Historische Modelle AGK
Old 01-22-2011, 09:31 PM

Hi Pat:
The crucifix is an amazing artifact.
I couldn't find a handmade paper of my liking to build it as it come on Tektonten.
I also downloaded from the german (or swiss?) site the old printings. I'm trying the Nidau castle in A4. The low resolution is obvious, but in A5 it would be diminutive.O guess I will have to order some kits form the shop yopu mention. There's a swiss stage coach form mid XIXth century that resembles with the ones we had here in the same period.
Looking forward for new pics of your train
Rgds
Carlos
Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 AM

I have got the castle too... I have the project to build them one day. The résolution is bad, so we need to build them small !

I have almost finished my book, so I will have more time for the train (and all other side projects... )
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
awesome train! thanks for sharing that pic