PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 12-11-2010, 11:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear Mike:
Are you going paint with High Temp auto paint or are you going to print the color as usual in a paper model? Also what RC parts and radio are you going to use? Are you going to fly in winter to land on soft powder snow.
GOOD LUCK,
Miles
Miles this is the color that I'm doing it in. I don't think painting it is an opting due to the possibility of it catching fire.

The radio will be up to who ever buys it, if anybody. After it is completed, it will go for auction on eBay.

I do have some electrical parts that I plan to install,they will be removed so that the buyer can use their own preferrred servos etc..

I am not qualified to fly this one. I have very limited experience as a RC pilot. I crash so often that after 13-flights an A10 wasn't repairable. Did I mention that was 13 flights out of 13 total?

Been in touch with a local hobby shop to find a pilot. There is someone who might work out. Model will only be flown if she approves of the design!

I plan to static test run the engine in timed steps to see if anything looks like it is changing color.

The whole lower third of the engine will be covered with the ceramic paper. This should reflect the heat back into the engine, not allowing much to be transmitted by radiation towards the paper. Stainless Steel wire will be used to attach it to the engine belly.

Since there needs to be a connection of engine to cardstock, the ceramic paper will sandwich insulate the stainless steel clamps that will be use.

The fuel line will go over the top of the Front Engine mount protecting the mount as it goes towards the wye that splits the fuel into the into the twin intakes.

A section of the aluminum fuel line will be cut lengthwise and then placed on top of the Rudder and Vertical Stabilizer Fin. This will be used during the static test to see how much heat is actually reaching the top here.

The connection of the Vert. Fin and Engine is the nearest they get to each other (cardstock/engine exhaust pipe). Aluminum melts at a much lower temp than stainless steel. It should protect the cardstock long enough for the first couple of timed tests.

This would show that more ceramic protection is needed if the paper underneath changes colors.

Yes, I plan to use the cold air temps during the static testing of the engine. The powder snow is the best landing zone possible, if it is dry cold snow. Below 15 deg F will work great!

If the model survives the intial ground static runs, i.e.; don't have to use the fire extinguisher, the movement through the air will help protect the model during flight.

Thank you for your interest!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 12-11-2010, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
No contest this is the ultimate "Paper Airplane"

Jim Nunn
Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Just be careful if you happen to fly it around an RC airfield that has Spitfires. Somebody might try and tip it off course...although that might be an idea for a fun game.
Read somewhere that the Clipwing Spitfires had to dive allowing very limited engaement. The only fighter that could work was the Hawker Tempest due to the lower altitude of engagement. There was only about 30 of these avaialble and they were relocated to deal with the threat.

In a history of the various rockets the 3rd Reich used, I read about the guidance system and how it basically rode a radio beam allowing the gyros to self stabilize it. One of the very first analog computers was used to determine if it strayed to far from the beam, and correct if necessary.

It was a hard choice to use this design for my project. In the end, it was the only reasonable layout to use though for safety reasons.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
No contest this is the ultimate "Paper Airplane"

Jim Nunn
Hi Jim,

Thank you for complement!

It isn't done yet, it might not work.

Just wanted to share the project and decided to take the chance that it will.

Besides if it doesn't there happens to be some really smart individuals around this site that might chime in with some help!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 12-11-2010, 11:54 PM

Information on the Pulsejet Used

Link for more information on the pulsejet I'm using. This is the manufacturer of my engine. There is a photo of mine running as part of the slideshow he has on the product page. It is considered the miniature one.
Pulsejet Engine Information - Beck-Technologies

Has a history of pulsejet design/use.

Hope you enjoy reading and seeing how it works.

The link shows far better than I can explain it.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Google Adsense
Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Before You Fly It...,

Mike,

A most awesome endeavor dude! Coolest thing to hit this site since I can't remember when...,

One thing though, before the first flight, make sure that someone that can handle a video camera with flight vehicles is hot on the grip. I would hate to miss out on this babies first flight video...,

+Gil
Old 12-12-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Mike,

A most awesome endeavor dude! Coolest thing to hit this site since I can't remember when...,

One thing though, before the first flight, make sure that someone that can handle a video camera with flight vehicles is hot on the grip. I would hate to miss out on this babies first flight video...,

+Gil
Yes, I'm hurting in the video dept. Hopefully there will be volunteers with better gear when it is time to fly.

Thanks for the comments! This is the fourth try at building it, I think I have the correct answers this time around...

I do have photos of the other builds somewhere, if I can find them, I'll post a few to show some issues I found..

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 12-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Re video: sounds like you're the camera operator since you're (promised to?) getting a qualified RC pilot to control the flight, yes?

Yogi (wanna' see something really scary ...)
Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM

Concertina Folding/Gluing

One of the ways cardstock is used in this project to carry the flight loads is by using "Concertina Folds".

Basically they are just a combination of "mountain" & "valley" folds.

A line of glue is placed inside the valley folds, using a scrap piece of wood to press the folds flat. The wood has been sanded using 600 grit so that it slides back & forth without catching or wrinkling the cardstock.

Wood allows even pressure to be applied while the glue tacks/dries.

Photos show the size of wood , 45 degree angle used while sliding back/forth. What isn't shown is how hard I press down when gluing-lots of pressure is best...

Wing Spars, and Fuselage Longerons are built up this way.

Basically you are using lots of cardstock compressed into a smaller part-sort of how the cardstock is formed when being manufactured.

This construction mimics bals wood, except the cardstock "Skin" carries a major portion of the load. Hence the fewer longerons along the fuselage.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Attached Thumbnails
BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-longerons1.jpg   BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-longerons2.jpg   BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-internal-tube-parts1.jpg   BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-internal-fuselage-system.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 12:22 PM

Modifications to Original Design

Using the laminated cardstock for the Horizontal Stabilizer and Elevator produced an issue with the full span Elevator.

Old way of using laminated cardstock created a hinge that did not allow full travel of the Elevator at the tips.

Elevator was cut along the hinge line, Hinge (dashed line) part of Elevator was cut off and the newer system was installed as shown in the photos.

Carbon fiber tubing allows full deflection as well as making the hinge/elevator assembly stiffer/stronger.

Fuel parts should be here today! Additional photo shows fuel can mount. Temporary rubber bands holding the can in place while test fitting the nosecone etc. for clearance.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Attached Thumbnails
BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-old-tailfeathers2.jpg   BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-mod-tail.jpg   BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-mod-tail2.jpg   BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-fuel-mount.jpg  
Google Adsense