PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 12-11-2010, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project

After several years of research, model designing and hours and hours of internet searching a very complicated project is finally near completion.

Many model designs were tried. Most of the airplane models I have were converted to see how the engine would fit. Some of my models were designed just for this application (D-21 Drone, XL-F-16 to name a couple).

Finally decided that basing the design on the Fieseler Fi 103 had the most advantages:
1) The Engine could be installed outside the fuselage to lessen the chance of the model catching on fire.
2) Easy to make a very strong airframe
3) Wing ribs all the same size

The final design is my version of how to attach a hobby sized puslejet to a paper airplane.

To allow for a correct power to weight ratio for flight, total model weight has to be under 4.5lbs. The Pulsejet engine has only 1.5lbs static thrust (3 x 1.5 = 4.5).

The following shows the model design specifications it has been designed to meet:
1) Weight under 4.5lbs
2) Handle at least a 2g turn (not designed for aerobatics-fuel source needed to engine is gas. If liquid gets to the engine the fire goes out!)
3) 3-axis Remote Control (RC)
4) RC throttle or shut-off 1/4 Turn Ball Valve (valve that came with the fuel supply has a needle valve needing many turns to go from On to Off)
5) Able to handle 100mph flight speeds
6) Wing Loading Below 35-oz/sq ft (searched the net for other turbine models and what their wing loading was)

Engine Specs:
-Pulsejet has 1.5 lbs thrust
-Pulsejet weighs 10.3 oz w/sparkplug
-Engine has twin intakes
-Engine is 14.5" long
-Engine combustion Chamber is 2" Diameter
-Engine Tailpipe has a .875" Diameter
-Combustion Chamber reaches 2100 deg F
-Tailpipe reaches 1700 deg F

Ceramic Paper will be used to handle the high heat. It will be used in strategic locations as insulation.

Ceramic Paper Specs:
=Maximum High Heat - 2600 Deg F
=800 Deg F/Hour burn through

International Paper's 125lb Tag used for the Model's Cardstock construction!

At present the model's Ready To Fly weight is estimated between 2.75 - 3.28 lbs.

At present the model is 75% complete. Waiting on some fuel system parts that should be here soon.

Future posts will show testing and building the model.

Here is a view of the intial project layout.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Attached Thumbnails
BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-project-view-powercell-fuel-small.jpg  

Last edited by mbauer; 12-11-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2010, 07:33 PM

Building the Wings

Here are some photos of the wing construction. If this wing construction had failed to work, the model would not have been possible.

Notes:
1) All flight Loads to be handled by Cardstock IF possible; exceptions follow-
2) Tailfeather flight loads are transmitted thru the pulsejet engine to the airframe
3) Carbon Fiber Tubes are used to attach ailerons
4) Electrical servo mounts will be made from thin plywood
5) Standard RC model wiring/Control horns will be used

The ailerons had to be strong to handle the speeds that might be reached. Notice that I use carbon fiber tubes to make a hinge/control system. This was very hard to do! The version pictured below was trashed and a heavier/stronger design was used-sorry, no photos-forgot to take some before covering.

The final photos show that by doing it this way, gap seals are not needed.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Attached Thumbnails
BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-wing-ribs-carbon-tube-1.jpg   BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-aileron-wing-hinge-2.jpg   BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-wing-covered-3.jpg   BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-wing-aileron-done-4.jpg  
Old 12-11-2010, 07:49 PM

A Couple of Photos showing Major Parts

Just a quick view of completed parts. Left Wing is not finished yet in photo. Wings will be finished as a single part, that will slide thru the double walled fuselage.

Engine Front Mount and Tailfeathers are laminated cardstock (8-layers).

Hinges for tailfeathers are built up solid cardstock. A control horn will be attached to the moveable Elevator & the Rudder.

Tailfeathers & Front Engine Mount interlock with the inside fuselage assembly creating a very strong system.

Inside fuselage structure has to handle the engine weight and tailfeather flight loads. One test is shown to see how strong it is length wise. Yes, that is a total of 20lbs of barbells.

1st photo shows the internal fuselage asembly after the 20lb test, as it shows there was no damage at all from the test!

I also stabilised the internal fuselage part laying on its side and placed 10lbs in the center to see if it would crush it. It distorted just enough to see it happen, estimate of 15lb max for a crush test as 20lb nearly flattened it, 20lb weight was not allowed full force and was removed before any damage was done.

More detailed photos to follow.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-model-parts.jpg   BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-20lb-test.jpg  

Last edited by mbauer; 12-11-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to Mention 10lb Crush test.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Very nice Buzz bomb. Check with Yogi or other rocketeers on how to make it operational sans the explosive of course.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
Very nice Buzz bomb. Check with Yogi or other rocketeers on how to make it operational sans the explosive of course.
Already been in touch!

Yogi, has been very helpful on several projects! This one included.

In fact after a excahnging just one message, it was back to some serious internet searches...Calculator in hand!

I forgot to Say Thank Yogi in my first posting of this thread!

Thanks for bringing the oversight to my attention!

Before printing I was contemplating a couple of issues, one was answered direct (fuselage structure) and the others were more of a question on wing loading/cg issues. I had to triple check ever aspect of the model at this point.

BTW-These points were brought up by Yogi without me mentioning them before hand. He took one look and knew my problem areas!

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
I can ask the questions - but you are the one coming up with the answers! Looking forward to the jet-powered paper airplane ...

Yogi
Old 12-11-2010, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Mike:
Are you going paint with High Temp auto paint or are you going to print the color as usual in a paper model? Also what RC parts and radio are you going to use? Are you going to fly in winter to land on soft powder snow.
GOOD LUCK,
Miles
Old 12-11-2010, 09:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Just be careful if you happen to fly it around an RC airfield that has Spitfires. Somebody might try and tip it off course...although that might be an idea for a fun game.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Just be careful if you happen to fly it around an RC airfield that has Spitfires. Somebody might try and tip it off course...although that might be an idea for a fun game.
That would be a HUGE FUN GAME Great build here, love the PM hope it all runs ok and you get some good video of it when complete. NICE !
Old 12-11-2010, 10:31 PM

Power Plant

Here is a photo of the Power Source w/Fuel supply
Most of the tools being used are scattered, including the autocad for a background (computer screen).

Notice the push button start? Lower right of laptop is the red button that should start the engine. Battery powered and once the engine is running, the wires to the sparkplug will be removed.

When I listed the specifications for the engine in the first post of this thread, I failed tto mention that the engine is a Chinese Valvless Design.

It has no moving parts and the intake doubles as a thrust source for part of the process of it running!

It fires at approximately 200 "cycles" per second. This wil give it the same buzzing sound as the real one! Few things are as loud as a pulsejet! Even small ones make tremendous noise!

Starting the beast is fairly simple; Here is my Checklist:
1) Verify RC Controlled Fuel Valve is Closed
2) Hook the wire leads from the start button to the sparkplug
3) A supply of compressed air needs to be injected into one of the intake nozzles-Start Flow
4) Open fuel Supply valve on can making sure that RC fuel valve is off!
5) Press Start Button
6) Slowly Open RC Fuel Valve until engine starts
7) Remove wire leads from sparkplug ASAP
8) Let Engine reach operating temp before removing compressed air.
Attached Thumbnails
BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project-engine-tools-fuel.jpg  
Google Adsense