PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 04-13-2011, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104

This thread is on how to build a Winged Glider Stomp Rocket.

This is an updated thread from a previous posting.

AirDave has been helping me to create a website to sell some of my models.

One of the biggest things that AirDave has done is to "repaint" my models creating a more realistic detailed version of them.

He took one basic model of my F104 Starfighter and created 12-repainted versions. These repaints will be used as the basis for this build thread.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-f104-original.jpg

To help with the construction, there is a free downloadable PDF showing the basic Tools, Materials, and Techniques needed to make these.
PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Basic Paper Modeling Tools & Techniques

Nothing magic about construction:
Cut, fold and glue to complete!

A few photos of the finished models.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Attached Thumbnails
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-all4.jpg   Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-all5.jpg   Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-all7.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 PM

A Few Things Before Building

Ok, first, these models were designed to be lightweight to fly! Best to use Cardstock in the following weights:
-Index 90# or 100#
-Cover 65# works also.

Everything else is not important. No detail parts unless they add strength! This holds very true for anything at the rear of the model (i.e., No exhaust cone). Every extra gram means it needs counter-balanced to fly!

I don't usually edge color because these things climb to 50-100 feet in about 1 second and if a hard landing happens, edge coloring is last thing I'm thinking about...Besides only the guys who do 1/200 builds would be able to see the edge coloring at that distance...

1st photo shows Ziploc bag holding small parts & how I wrap tubes with a cut rubber band to pre-shape the tube parts.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-ziploc-bag-small-parts.jpg

2nd Photo shows small alignment tick marks for joining tubes/cones to each other.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-alignment-marks-glue-tick-marks.jpg

3rd Photo shows the use of an embosser to score fold lines, $1.95 at local art supply store.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-score-fold-lines.jpg

4th Photo shows using a plastic quilting ruler to brace roll cutter for straight lines. If you use one of these rotary cutters, the blade moves back and forth, support is a must!
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-use-roll-cutter-straight-cut.jpg

5th Photo shows using some scissors to cut Arc and circles. Notice I'm cutting the Black outline off-will mention/talk about this in a minute-stay tuned.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-use-scissor-arc-cuts.jpg

6th Photo shows me being lazy! Notice I'm only doing a single cut on the glue-tabs for the Nosecone Collar-this also works for the Fuselage Front. This works, but you can do the double cut (follow the lines) if you want...I'm going to try and build several of these models and not much time to do them in!
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-scissor-single-cut-glue-tabs.jpg

7th Photo shows me trimming the edges after gluing the tailfeathers. This gets rid of some weight and makes the model look nicer, if you do it too, don't trim to much, just the overlap...
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-trim-edges.jpg

Next post will have photos showing start of build.

BTW-The heavier the models are, the less distance & height they attain However; they make up for it by suffering more damage on vertical landings!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:50 PM

Rolling Paper Tubes

Here are some photos showing my method for doing Long Paper Tubes.

The PSI tube was invented so that any sized shell could be used for a stomp rocket. After much experimenting I found a size that when constructed slips over the PVC conduit that allows a tight enough seal, but doesn't bind when launched.

Tools for forming these tubes are listed below, they also work great for doing cones!

2" Rubber bands, then they are cut
1/4" Wood Dowel [6mm]
3/8" Wood Dowel [9.5mm]
5/8" Wood Dowel [15.8mm]
Bamboo Skewers
Double Sided Tape

The 5/8' dowel is used for the larger diameter tubes and cones.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-tight-roll-round-dowel.jpg

Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-tight-roll-round-dowel2.jpg

The 3/8" dowel is used for medium cones.

The 1/4" dowel is used for small ones.

Bamboo skewers are used for really small cones.

Notice how the rubber band ends are secured when wrapping the tube to the shorter dowel pieces...

Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-rolling-psi-tube-fuselage-wrap-r.band.jpg

Gluing will be shown in different post.
Rolling nosecones will also be shown in a different post.

Set wrapped tubes aside to train them to "stay" in shape.

Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-roll-tubes-done-set-out-way.jpg

Last edited by mbauer; 04-13-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Gluing Pre-Rolled Paper Tubes

When doing long paper tubes of large diameter a third hand is needed. After trying different ways of growing a third hand; no, doctors won't attach one, I tried the following method.

I use a 3ft long 5/8" [9.5mm] Diameter wood dowel with double sided tape rings (clear office type). Use the permanent double sided, the removable type doesn't work.

Notice Fuselage halves have been glued together before rolling and gluing the seam. This allows for a straight fuselage!

Note:
The PSI Tube has to be sealed the whole length. If it isn't the rocket won't launch!

To remove tubes from tape is simple, slight back and forth rolling motion.

I use the work table and work chair as supports making a bridge out of the dowel as shown in the following photos:

1st photo shows the PSI Tube ready for glue. I glue the whole length at once! After initial glue/pressure along the seam, I remove the PSI tube and use the PVC conduit for a final fit test and pressure applied to tube for final glue set.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-glue-paper-tube1.jpg

2nd photo shows the fuselage shell ready for gluing. Make sure to align at the front using the black line to keep ends even. Can be done from the middle if there was a line to align with.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-glue-paper-tube2.jpg

3rd photo shows Fuselage glued, at this stage I keep rubbing/applying pressure back and forth along the whole length.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-glue-paper-tube3.jpg

4th Photo is a closeup of completed fuselage ready to be removed by the back/forth rolling and lifting motion.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-glue-paper-tube4.jpg
Old 04-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Pressure (PSI) Tube Construction

The Pressure Tube needs to be strong to handle launch pressures.

The Top Plug has to be inside the top glue tabs. If it isn't the cardstock delaminates and the rocket just sits on the launch pipe.

Overall everything about the construction of this Pressure Tube system has to be right!

All glue needs to be dry before installing into the fuselage, so it is best to build it now, and do a couple of other steps that follow before trying to glue it into the fuselage!

1st photo shows a short piece of PVC pipe inserted to make sure of fit test and apply pressure as glue sets along the seam.

Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-1glue-psi-tube-using-pvc-conduit-fit-pressure-seam.jpg

At this stage I make sure the glue seam is air tight by keeping pressure along the whole length. It is hard to use my hands and take a photo so, try to picture using both hands to rub back and forth along the glue seam while glue is still wet.

2nd photo shows inserting the Top Plug into the tube. Notice that I still use the PVC pipe to help position it properly. Run a glue bead around the inside of the tube near the top & also across the top of the plug-press the PVC up and fold the tabs.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-2inside-psi-tube-plug-pvc-support-glue.jpg
3rd photo shows applying pressure as the glue sets.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-3inside-psi-tube-plug-pvc-support-glue2.jpg

4th photo shows plug installed and gluing PSI Tube Top former/bulkhead.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-4psi-tube-former-bulkhead-top1.jpg

5th photo shows assembly ready for a Glue Fillet around the bulkhead. Make sure to run the glue bead all the way around the tube.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-5psi-tube-former-bulkhead-top2-glue-fillet.jpg

6th photo shows the Bottom former attached. Notice it is slightly back from the end. Also make sure to run a bead (fillet) of glue around both sides when gluing.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-6psi-tube-done.jpg

Now set it aside and let it dry. I usually stand it upright with the PVC pipe still in it while the glue dries/sets.
Google Adsense
Old 04-13-2011, 03:26 PM

Pre-Rolling Cones

Ok, time to roll the nosecone.

Notice how I use the dowel to roll the nosecone.

Other ways to do it are available and used elsewhere here at PM. com, but this is the method I use. A way that I used to do them was to roll the dowel over the cardstock while I held it in my palm, also on top of my thigh. After many, many different sized nosecones, this is the method I use now.

1st photo shows using the embosser to score the glue tab folds. I generally score the lines before cutting the parts from the main sheet. This time I forgot too...
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-1score-fold-lines.jpg

2nd photo shows the actual start to the rolling process. Notice I keep the 3/8" [9.5mm] wood dowel parallel / aimed at the center point of the nosecone.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-2roll-cone-initial.jpg

3rd photo shows continuing the rolling process.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-3roll-cone.jpg

4th photo shows doing the other side
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-4roll-cone-other-side.jpg

5th photo shows cone ready to be glued.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-5roll-cone-ready-glue.jpg
Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Gluing Nosecone Parts

Ok, time to glue the nosecone and collar. After gluing them, they will be attached to each other in the following photos...

1st photo shows glue applied at the very tip of the nosecone, and pinching it flat. After the first flight this pinched flat nosecone technique won't even be noticed....
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-1glue-pinch-nosecone.jpg
2nd photo shows a different angle.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-2glue-pinch-nosecone.jpg
3rd photo shows glue holding/set up.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-3nc-glue-set.jpg
4th photo shows closeup of photo 3.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-4nc-glue-set.jpg
5th photo shows gluing the rest of tab.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-5nc-glue-set.jpg
6th photo shows using wood dowel to pressure glue & smooth the seam.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-6nc-glue-set-w-dowel-press.jpg
7th photo shows completed nosecone and the collar ready to be glued.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-7nc-glue-set-done.jpg
8th photo shows gluing the collar.

Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-8nc-collar-dowel-press-glue-seam.jpg
Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM

Assembling Nosecone Parts

Time to glue the Nosecone parts together.

After doing an initial glue of the bottom seam glue tabs, do the top 2-tabs and then 2-tabs for each of the sides. After the glue sets, push in slightly on the side of the collar and glue the remaining tabs making sure to get a good seal all the way around.

To test the seal, push in on the collar to verify glue joints have set properly.

1st photo shows the initial glue tack to the bottom seam.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-1nc-collar-glue-tack-bottom-align-2-tabs-glued.jpg
2nd photos shows ready to align/glue the top 2-tabs.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-2ready-glue-tack-nc-collar-top.jpg
3rd photo shows the top tacked and ready to do one of the sides.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-3nc-collar-tack-glue-top-done.jpg
4th photo shows the small alignment tick marks to check for alignment of sides before gluing.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-4nc-collar-tack-side.jpg
5th photo shows completed assembly.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-5nc-collar-glue-done.jpg
The canopy is done as the very last part to be attached to model, so it isn't covered yet.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:46 PM

Fuselage Shell

Time to get the Fuselage shell, the slide-on adapter ring cone (part F1 of the kit) and the rudder support laminations.

I forgot to mention the laminations needed for this kit, when doing the PSI tube in an earlier post.

Basically just laminate them to each other.

The wingtip ribs will need to be cut out individually but the rest can be done by the following method/technique.

The quick method of doing laminations?

Check to see how many are needed of each. Rough cut one of them out, laminate it to a scrap piece of cardstock. Once the glue dries, just cut the top outline out. Part is done and only one cut is needed. This makes for a real nice non-jagged/mis-aligned edges. Inside as well as outside.

The rudder internal support laminations are done by scoring the lines between the lamination and fold like an accordion (actual name is concertina fold). Just glue between folds in the valleys and place heavy weight on top after wiping excess glue from sides!

Ok, now for the prepping...

1st photo shows the fuselage and adapter ring ready for assembly. This ring adds strength/counter-weighting/but most of all it makes the nosecone easier to slide on. Notice that i just single cut the tabs.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-1glue-part-f1-adapter-cone-fuselage-front.jpg
2nd photo shows initial gluing the bottom first-just like the nosecone to collar assembly step. After this sets, glue all of the tabs and press them all at once. Since this is a small part with easy access to joint area, you can get away with gluing them all after the initial bottom tack.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-2glue-part-f1-adapter-cone-fuselage-front2.jpg
3rd photo shows gluing completed.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-3glue-part-f1-adapter-cone-fuselage-front3.jpg
4th photo shows using a dowel with double sided tape as a third hand once again. This lamination needs to be directly under the Rudder attachment location, the dowel helps with positioning and pressure backing.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-4rudder-lamination-support-inside-rear-fuselage.jpg
5th photo shows inserting the laminations into the fuselage. Be careful as this is real easy to get mis-aligned. It has to be directly under the Rudder Attach position, or it won't work and the Rudder will flop from side to side. Hold up to a bright light (back lighting?) to see if it is aligned properly.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-5rudder-lamination-support-inside-rear-fuselage2.jpg
Let these parts dry completely before the next step!

NOTES:
1) Make sure to use a new knife blade or sharpen the one you're going to use for these next steps! No explanation needed as to why.

2) Do not insert the PSI Tube yet! If you cut into it, the rocket won't launch!

6th Photo shows one of the most critical/hard cuts you will do on this model. At first lightly cut a "guide" cut down the outside of the thick "dotted" lines where the tabs are inserted. Keep going over this line until you cut all of the laminations. Or you can "stab" cut after the guide cut has been established as shown.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-6cut-rudder-slits.jpg
7th photo shows the wing tab slits getting cut. Although it looks like I stabbed them, I didn't; once again lightly trace the dotted lines for accuracy.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-7cutting-wing-slits1.jpg
Be sure to follow the center of the dotted line for these cuts!

The wings get their airfoil shape from these slits! The more accurate they are done, the better the model flies.

8th photo shows a different angle of the cutting process.
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-8cutting-wing-slits2.jpg
Fuselage prepping done...almost
Be sure to dry fit the Rudder before inserting the PSI Tube. Forgot to mention this in the cutting of the slits in the prior step. By doing it before inserting the PSI Tube, you ensure proper fit without the chance of cutting the internal tube!

Yep, I haven't shown how to build the rudder yet, so you might want to jumpa ahead to the Tailfeather post-which should be in a little while.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Time to glue the PSI Tube & Fuselage pieces.

This mating step is real easy and fast, but very critical to the model launching properly.

If you want to make a Free Flight Glider out of this bird. Don't install the PSI Tube. Just add the Bottom Former/Bulkhead (part F3) to the rear of the fuselage to support the round shape of the fuselage.

Although I don't show gluing the top of the tube into the shell, the glue syringe makes it real easy to reach inside. The glue bead needs to be applied all the way around the top and bottom formers/bulkheads.

The syringe came with an ink refill kit purchased years ago. The ink wasn't worth the money spent, but this syringe was!

If you don't have a syringe to reach inside and apply the glue, the next best is a long bamboo skewer.

The PSI tube has to be firmly attached to the shell, or you get the chance to watch it leave the model behind when launching!

1st photo shows inserting the PSi Tube system into the model. Let the rudder laminations stop the insertion. Do Not slide the bottom former over these! If the former goes over the laminations, you're going to have trouble inserting the Rudder tabs.
It is ok if the former warps/waves a little. This is an indication of a tight fit, just make sure to glue all the way around the former/fuselage shell fit.

The tight fit is needed to lock the two assemblys together!
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-1insert-psi-tube-into-fuselage.jpg
2nd photo shows the warp/wave of the cardstock former. This is fine!
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-2insert-psi-tube-into-fuselage.jpg
3rd Photo shows applying the glue bead or fillet around the junction fit at the bottom. The top former needs to be done the same way, all the way around!
Stomp Rocket Glider Build Thread-F104-3gluing-psi-tube-into-fuselage.jpg
BTW-I took some of these photos before prepping the fuselage, so don't pay attention to the rudder location slits not being cut...Whoops!
Google Adsense