PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Inspiration To Keep Building...

Here is a favorite link to some photos that really awesome.
Remembering Apollo 11 - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Hope you enjoy themas much as I have!

Mike
Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Answer to Exploding Rocket

The Saturn V flew twice. The first time was the highest, but no video due to batteries quitting. Second time was when the binding issue showed up.

To stop the binding I increased the size of the internal PSI Tube (cardstock).

Problem has been found, verified by the exploding larger PSI tube, and a successful flight of the Mercury Redstone.

Then after looking on the PVC pipe, the answer has been in front of me the whole time.

It is a surface area problem.

Hint:
1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe is rated at 600 PSI @ 73 deg F
3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe is rated at 480 PSI @ 73 deg F
2" schedule 40 PVC pipe is rated at 280 PSI at 73 deg F
4" schedule 40 PVC pipe is rated at 220 PSI at 73 deg F

When the binding started showing up, my answer was to increase the size of the internal cardstock PSI Tube. Then the rocket started blowing up!

The last launch of the Saturn V with the biggest PSI Tube yet blew up, when I was thinking the rocket wouldn't go as high due to pressure loss around the metal conduit and cardstock fit. Boy was I wrong!

The metal conduit is the main answer to the binding as well as confetti producing pressure.

The original PSI tube when the Saturn V actually flew was 1.20" Diameter, the last version was 1.45" diameter. The Redstone flew with the PSI Tube sized for the metal conduit at 1.24" diameter.

The increased diameter proves the cardstock can not handle the pressure due to an enlarged surface area that the air pressure reacts on!

For bigger rockets (8.5ft Saturn V) the internal PSI Tube might need downsized to 3/4" metal conduit!

Got some redesigning to do, will try to have a new rocket done sometime this weekend!

Sorry, no more explosions!!! hopefully.

Great thing about all of this:
Found several more ways that don't work, narrowing it down to ones that will!

Have a good plan for parachute deployment that is going to need testing as well. Parts are on order and should be here soon. Fine tuning is probably going to take awhile................

Mike