PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 03-05-2012, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Mike,
You've got a bad case, Mike (but a stupendous rocket!). Any reason you taped the pipe joints vice just gluing them up with PVC cement?

Yogi
Hi Yogi,

Yes, take down, and if want to change Pvc pipe sizes. Been thinking of trying 1" and will change to 1/2" for the smaller stomp rockets. Right now 3/4" is being used.

The ones with threads, look smaller inside than ones without, so decided to just use the slip in kind.

Also, with the slip togethers, can angle the pipe into the wind or breeze to adjust for windy days.

A 4-way would allow 3-launches at the same time, etc.

BTW-been telling everyone, "it's just a nervous twitch....".

Mike
Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
When I was a kid, we used to get these rockets you pumped up, and the had water in them. They would go to unbelievable heights. I don't anything about this, but is this an option, and would it help get some even more height out of your rockets? According to the site below, the world record is 2000 feet. Just wondering.

Soda Bottle Water Rockets | GeekDad | Wired.com

Old 03-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Yah, I remember the little water rockets that sat on the pump (the ones that looked like little mortar rounds). Fill 'er up; load; pump; and release (and get wet!).

I think the big advantage to the air-only powered rockets is the minimal setup (and cleanup). There's no fire, no spray of water, and with light/blunt paper rockets little danger (though I'd recommend laying out a rope as a "firing line" and keeping all the little rocket scientists behind the line while launching). Best of all, you can roll and crimp together a replacement in 5 minutes (Ok, a really simple replacement).

Might not beat the Estes or water rockets on physics performance (though not for lack of Mike's trying), but each has a definite area where it's "best."

Yogi
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Anyone remember the rubber-tipped rockets that used a powder or tablet that effervesced to create the propulsion? Rocket firing was never consistent, but performance wasn't bad when it did work. Maybe 30-50 feet, which wasn't bad considering the weight of the rocket and the fuel.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
Yah, I remember the little water rockets that sat on the pump (the ones that looked like little mortar rounds). Fill 'er up; load; pump; and release (and get wet!).

I think the big advantage to the air-only powered rockets is the minimal setup (and cleanup). There's no fire, no spray of water, and with light/blunt paper rockets little danger (though I'd recommend laying out a rope as a "firing line" and keeping all the little rocket scientists behind the line while launching). Best of all, you can roll and crimp together a replacement in 5 minutes (Ok, a really simple replacement).

Might not beat the Estes or water rockets on physics performance (though not for lack of Mike's trying), but each has a definite area where it's "best."
Yogi
Yep, right on the money-lite weight/forgiving of construction. You can do things with stomp rockets you just can't do with the others.

Stability testing is one. Launch an estes with no fins and see what happens, hopefully everyone is in a block house if you try this.

I've had estes "hook" the launch rod and slam into the ground under-full thrust, shooting off into a stand of trees. Only reason it didn't start a fire, when the ejection charge went off, was it just finished raining. (SR71 Blackbird).

Estes models have cato'd (4ft Saturn V=$52), caught on fire (Shuttle glider w/tank and fake stability fins).

Some of the most powerfull water rockets are made using 8ft long flourescent light protector tubes (lexan). Used to work at a place called "Custom Plastic Fabricators), we made one for a customer.

Was invited out to watch it fly. Very impressive.

They all are fun to watch! Everyone of them is a blast to build!

Stomp rockets are the cheapest and give the most fun. Even 3-y/o can make them go! The look on their face says it all!!!!

To build a stomp rocket launcher here in Alaska cost $4.43 and only needs 5-minutes of your time! Less than a 3-pack of the estes smallest rocket engines.

You don't need igniters, expensive battery powered launch system, wadding to protect the recovery system (parachute or streamer), or engines.

Just a simple rocket, some PVC tubing and a 2-liter empty soda bottle.

The building doesn't need to be perfect, even the crooked nosecone or bent fin will still fly safely.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
Anyone remember the rubber-tipped rockets that used a powder or tablet that effervesced to create the propulsion? Rocket firing was never consistent, but performance wasn't bad when it did work. Maybe 30-50 feet, which wasn't bad considering the weight of the rocket and the fuel.
I never tried any of these, although I've seen a youtube video using dry ice to power one.

I have had one of the ones Yogi mentions, it leaked while pressuring up, and never really flew very high. But, they were fun on a hot day.

Mike
Old 03-10-2012, 08:57 PM

Zathros,

Here is my favorite water rocket video....

Mike
Old 03-11-2012, 12:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
That is a hilarious video! You gotta love the Japanese!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
The Mythbusters actually tried that. Shockingly they couldn't get it to work.
Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 42: Steel Toe Amputation, Bottle Rocket Blast Off
Wayne
Old 03-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
I saw that Mythbusters episode...GREAT!

On another note. I noticed no mention of parachute recovery. Any reason you are not using chutes to recover the stomp rockets? When I was a science teacher, we did the water launch rockets which was huge fun!. Some of the more enterprising students wanted to employ chute recovery systems.

So, I helped them design drag flaps that would lie flush to the nosecone during launch. But, as soon as the rocket reached its apogee, the flaps would be free of air pressure, spring out, create drag enough to pull the nose cone off and deploy the parachute.

Of course, sometimes, the rocket would follow a ballistic trajectory and crash rather spectacularly into the ground! Either way was great fun!

Oh yes, parachute and chute cord material: dry cleaner bags or ultra thin trash can liner bags and single strand nylon string. Very light, but very efficient.