PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 07-29-2012, 12:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
1:32 Saturn 1B w/Apollo

Just completed another massive sized rocket. At 1:32 scale this Saturn 1B is really big.

Height is: 75" = 6.25 ft or 190.5cm
Diameter is: 8.67" = 22.02cm
Weight is: 22oz = 1.375lbs or 623.69gm

This rocket will never be launched. Some serious issues with the construction means it isn't strong enough for a launch. Plus it is way to heavy.

Will construct another one this size, but the 1st stage will be a solid tube instead of the eight tubes it has now. They weigh to much and create some serious building issues for strength and alignment.

Will take this over to the local Challenger Learning Center to see if they would like it.

Here are a few photos:

Constructing 1st stage H1 tubes-
1:32 Saturn 1B w/Apollo-1-32-scale-saturn-1b-3.jpg

Inserting 1st stage H1s into lower main rocket body-
1:32 Saturn 1B w/Apollo-1-32-scale-saturn-1b-4.jpg

Shows internal PSI tube and top of H1s just before mating with Stage 2 rocket body-
1:32 Saturn 1B w/Apollo-1-32-scale-saturn-1b-5.jpg

Last two photos show completed rocket-
1:32 Saturn 1B w/Apollo-1-32-scale-saturn-1b-2.jpg
1:32 Saturn 1B w/Apollo-1-32-scale-saturn-1b-1.jpg
Notice how the black from the 2nd stage doesn't quite line up with the lower stage? Big time construction boo-boo when it was designed. Fixed it in a redraw, but overall the rocket weighs to much to be launched. Most of these rockets need 5-pages of cardstock this one took 9!

The plan is to use a larger tube and use graphics to show the H1 rockets instead of the eight tubes tried with this one. Weight will be closer to the self imposed 16-ounces (1lb or 453.59gm) rule that makes sense to insure a good flight.

Will take more photos of the needed redesign once I get a chance to return to this project. Got a couple of more builds to do, plus re-design an Atlas and Titan for a complete set of the early USA manned rockets.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 07-29-2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: added text/corrected typos
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
I love it!! I have a thing for big rockets (I have Ton's 1/48 Apollo/Saturn V) and this one it great looking....Rich
Old 07-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Now that's a rocket! Center should be happy to see it - you working on the display story board for all these?

Yogi
Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 PM

Thank you Rich! Me -too!!!

Never thought of doing a story board, but it is a great idea! Have amassed a fair amount of photos and data on each, the Air Rocket folder is at 1.8gb & the Stomp Rocket folder has 2.5gb all of which is research stuff. The AutoCAD drawings are fairly small, 2.5mb or less in size.

Late last night got to checking what each would look like at 1:32 scale. The Saturn V would be 10.75 ft high [327.66cm] and the Mercury would be 2.15 ft [65.66cm] high.

All of these rockets are designed using 3-vu drawings, but, last night did some actual surfing to find correct diameters and lengths. My Saturn V is slightly big in diameter. The Mercury and Saturn 1B were drawn using the correct height, diameter dimensions.

A little re-work on the Saturn V will be done ASAP. Will be redrawing the Saturn V graphics to get them closer to scale too =text is wrong font-needs changed.

Thank you everyone for your interest in these rockets!

Mike
Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.09 MB
Mike,

Nice job!
Are the files posted?
Got a link?
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlazarus6660 View Post
Mike,

Nice job!
Are the files posted?
Got a link?
Thank you for the kind words, no files, these are printed on 2ft x 3ft sheets of cardstock. You need a special printer that can handle such heavy weight paper, most printing shops won't print on cardstock this size.

My cost to print each page is around $6 a sheet. The plan once all are done and mistakes corrected is to sell printed kits on eBay.

If there is an interest to write out huge PDF files, I can.

Most builders probably have a local blueprint shop around them that might print these on bond paper. Almost every city has a paper warehouse in the yellow pages where you can buy large sheets of cardstock to laminate the paper to.

A new on-line friend supplied me with some great detail photos of the Mercury, Atlas and Titan rockets. He mentioned that his plan is to use them as "Skins" for high power black powder rockets. He has a set of the Mercury Liberty Bell PDFs, to check for mistakes. A Dyna Soar will be done as well.

Thinking of doing a poll to see if there is an interest in such large PDF files. Will also check with Chris at ecardmodels.com to see if he would like to list them.

Mike