PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build

1:32 Saturn V Build (10.43 Ft / 3.179m Tall)

Thanks to Jon Leslie for the reference drawing for this next project. Jon supplied an isometric view with stationing for the Saturn V.

Tried to place things at the proper stationing, diameters and lengths of all stages. Some graphics need better reference to get correct look.

This is an alpha build of the 1:32. A smaller 1:111 scale was built to test for part fit. A slight problem with the lower engine fairings hopefully has been fixed.

Using a 3/4" PSI Tube for this one, because the 1" in the smaller rockets won't work with this larger rocket. It will be interesting to see if it is strong enough.

A computer controlled servo will deploy the parachute. It is an idea that water rockets use. Here is a thread to check it out.
Water Rocket Forum • View topic - ServoChron(tm) Firmware Update (Dual servo control)

Just going to use one servo to pull the "pin" that holds the spring from "popping" the nosecone off and deploying the parachute. Final weight will determine parachute diameter and if more than one is needed.

Here photos show the start. (minus stages 1 & 2 fuselage shell){HUGE}.
Everything has been cut out, now to glue together...
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-apollo-spacecraft.jpg
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-project-parts.jpg

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2012, 09:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
ooh ooh oooh

can I watch? can I watch?

I'm building a Tank right now...its not as pretty as the Sat 5!!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.58 MB
OMG, that Saturn will be amazing! I assume most of it, if not all is printed on those big sheets? It will really be interesting to see how this holds up.

I wonder if it will get enough altitude for the chute to work. Some delicate sport rockets (usually scale) employ a cord that is attached at or near the top and bottom. The cord sits outside the body at launch and the the 'chute is attached nominally in the middle so that the rocket is forced to recover horizontally. Since air rockets are so light, this might be a good strategy. Even an unopened 'chute might serve to keep it horizontal. My big (by my standards) HoJo looked like it would have been fine if it hadn't transitioned to lawn dart recovery about half-way down. Just 'thinking' out loud.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
looking forward to how this develops.

- Jon
Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 PM

Construction Photos

Rocket is done! The next few posts will have photos showing different parts along with the parts again as they are glued to complete the model.

These photos were hard to take = how do you fit such large parts into the whole frame? Lighting isn't very good, flash didn't help any (too bright of reflection from white areas).

Anyway here are the photos.

Photo 1 are the Engine Bell parts. They are correct diameter and height, however the top sections are just round tubes, not the actual parts, this was done to reduce weight for flying.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-1.jpg

Photo 2 shows the 3rd Stage parts.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-2.jpg

Photo 3 shows the 2nd Stage to 3rd Stage Truncated Cone.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-3.jpg

Photo 4 & 5 Shows the Upper Stage Parts.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-4.jpg
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-5.jpg

More to follow....

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Construction Post No. 2

More parts and Technique Photos.

BTW-This rocket was printed on cardstock that was going to be used for different sizes of the old drawing-recycling for this alpha build! That is why all of the graphics on the inside parts/pieces.

Photo 6 Gluing Stage 1 & 2 Shell using 2" diameter [5.08cm] PVC Pipe as a helping hand. 5-sheets of 24" x 36" [60.96cm x 91.44cm] cardstock used for the Stage 1 & 2 outer fuselage.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-6.jpg

Photo 7 Internal PSI Tube parts. PSI Tube is sized for 3/4" [1.905cm] - Electrical Metal Conduit launch barrel (EMC). This is smaller diameter than 1" EMC used in my other big rockets. The smaller diameter can handle higher compressed air launch pressures.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-7.jpg

Photo 8 Internal PSI Tube parts glued together using 3/4" EMC as a third hand. Total length is 97" [246.38cm] or 8 feet 1 inch long.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-8.jpg

Photo 9 Using a wood dowel to glue internal formers to rocket shell. This worked to "spot" glue them, but for the final gluing, a paint brush was used to glue around the whole connection.

Only the middle two formers (a total of six internal formers) were glued to the PSI tube before it was inserted. The rest were glued into position, working from the middle to the ends.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-9.jpg

Photo 10 another photo showing Stage 1 & 2 with the Internal PSI Tube sticking out the end.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-10.jpg

More photos in the next post...

Mike
Old 09-08-2012, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
WOW and i thought my 1/48 Saturn was big, can't wait to see this finished......sooooo cooool.......Rich
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 PM

Final Construction Photos

A few final photos of the construction. Forgot to take photos of various other parts being installed.

Got into a rush to complete, this created a very big issue that will be discussed/shown in the next post of the completed rocket.

Photo 11 & 12 show the Right side different lighting.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-11.jpg
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-12.jpg

Photo 13 shows how the Different cones and Fuselage parts were combined after an intial glue to specific glue tabs.

1st tab to be glued was the tab along the tube glue seam. The the tab 180 degrees opposite, the final two tabs wer glued 90 degrees each side of the first two glued. (total of four tabs 90 degrees to each other around the fuselage/cone connection).
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-13.jpg

Photo 14 Shows completed rocket outside with the 1:32 scale Saturn 1B and 1:12 scale Mercury Redstone rockets.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-construction-14.jpg

More photos of completed 1:32 Scale Apollo Saturn V to follow....

Mike
Old 09-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Big Construction Mistake Means No Flights For This Build!

When gluing the Internal PSI Tube's Top Former/bulkhead into position, I got into a rush. Did not wait until the glue on the 3rd Stage bulkhead dried.

When I put pressure on the Top bulkhead to make sure it was properly glued to the top of the PSI tube, this pressure caused the wet glue inside to deform as shown on the outside fuselage.

With no way of seeing inside the rocket to verify this also happened to the Internal PSI Tube, I have to assume that it also is mishaped like the wrinkles shown in the following photos. If it is deformed, it will explode, ruining the rocket. A chance that I'm not willing to take. This rocket was a bugger to build!

Photos 15, 16 & 17 show the outside damage from forcing the wet glue connection of the 3rd Stage internal former.
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-done-1.jpg
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-done-2.jpg
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-done-3.jpg

Next post will show more photos of completed rocket....

Mike
Old 09-08-2012, 08:32 PM

More Photos of Completed 1:32 Scale Saturn V

Here are the final Photos taken this afternoon. A total of 14 sheets of 2ft x 3ft Springhill 125# Tag [203.5 gsm] cardstock was used for this build.

1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-done-4.jpg
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-done-5.jpg

A neighbor took a photo of me with my latest build-even put a shirt and tie on for the photo shoot...
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-done-6.jpg

Some photos of it in the styrofoam stand used to hold it horizontal so it will fit into my small apartment.

Shiny Spacecraft photo
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-done-7.jpg

Closeup photos
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-done-8.jpg
1:32 Saturn V Alpha Build-saturn-v-done-9.jpg

Waht a project!

Next projects will be drawing 1:12 Scale Mercury Atlas and unkown as yet scale of Gemini Titan.

Hope you enjoy the photos!

Thank you for the interest in this project.

Yes, the 1:32 scale Saturn V will be sold as a printed kit. I'll post a thread in the "For Sale" forum threads once I figure a price.

Mike
Google Adsense