PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 01-07-2015, 09:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Fascinating thread!
Thank You!

All the construction is completed!

Fuel System was last item to install.

Photo 52 shows fuel Line! Fairleads over controls. Notice the short length of clear fuel line? That is so you can "pinch" it closed in case of trouble to stop the engine! Going to use vice-grips to do it, if needed.
Buzzzzz 2 Pulsejet Paper Airplane-52.jpg

Will add some gas and "crank" it up real soon. Asking a couple of friends to stop by to help with fire extinguishers and videos.

At least one flight after that! Hopefully when they see it run, they'll volunteer to help with the extinguishers and videos again!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-07-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Gonna need some popcorn and a comfy chair for this. Looks great.
Will keep an eye out for any news reports of a strange explosion in Alaska.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:41 PM

Take Off Dolly

Decided to design a dolly for takeoffs, very similar to the ME163 rocket plane. The dolly will also double as a display stand.

Plan for this weekend is a few short engine run tests, to time fuel burn. Once I know a particular amount of fuel burns time wise, will plan a flight that can get to altitude, engine quits when out of fuel and glide back down.

If it survives that, Testing is done! Probably never fly it again. Just did this to see if it was possible to install a jet engine in a paper airplane.

BTW-One thing I'll be testing in a few minutes is a product called "No-Burn". Created to protect wood and paper from igniting. Sprayed some on a scrap piece of cardstock with ink on it to test if it would smear the ink, and to see if it warped the cardstock. Both areas are fine, didn't smear the ink or change the color. Sat for 48-hours to see if it warped at all, it didn't!

Tonight is the propane burn test!

Mike
Old 10-16-2016, 09:31 AM

Re-working this design.

Learning how to TIG aluminum, to create a new "power skid" system for the batteries, fuel tank, radio and engine mount. The wood one will not work, for very long. The vibration from the engine cycle will destroy it in short order.

Saved for two years to buy a TIG welder, which I purchased last April. This might take some time to learn, the last try found me blowing holes through the aluminum practice pieces.

The practice piece was fairly thick compared to what the final mount and skid will be. A very good TIG welder friend mentioned it is best to practice on steel first and then switch to aluminum once able to work the filler into the weld puddle. Said that if I'm waiting to see the puddle form with the aluminum, then it is already to late and holes will develop....

Guess my stick welding skills are not helping!

After creating the power skid using aluminum, the model will grow in size - more room for fuel tank, etc., and the additional weight should help with the excess power available.

A final addition will be a landing gear setup. Was originally planning a catapult launch, but now with all the power available, it makes sense to burn some of the fuel on takeoff.

Another system that will be added, a fuel line shutoff that can be shutdown during flight.

Final changes will look at the wing spars; they will be changed to an easier method of construction.

Project will be a part time endeavor; working with a local group of people to incorporate a new city where my home is.

Nikiski is not a legal city, but should be. Since joining the group you will find me at the computer researching and then creating maps/signs. This was done at the same time as getting signatures to put a petition on the next ballot. Now that we have the amount needed we move into the next stage, which is controlled by several agencies.

In other words, this will be a very slow project to get to the completion stage.

Mike
Old 10-16-2016, 12:20 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
The Fine Art of TIG

Mike,

Great to hear that you are taking the plunge into the fine art of TIG - by far the most beautiful of all the welding arts. Take your time and seek out others who have already mastered the art with skill. You will manufacture a lot of scrap on the course to becoming proficient.

Suggest you use a "D" tube for your wing spar and leading edge. In fact take a look at the original V1 construction - amazing that any of them ever worked considering the amount of vibration generated. Also think about how to mount the engine through a shock absorbing mechanism. Notice how delicately I fudged the idea of mounting a red to white hot glowing tube to the fuselage through rubber mounts? The only thing louder are Pulse Detonation Engines - they really take the cake when it comes to making unbearably loud noise. Want to get noise complaints in your neighborhood when your nearest neighbor is 40 miles away? Just fire off a PDE...,

I'll be following your Pilgrim's progress and wish you the best of luck in your pursuit,

-Gil
Google Adsense