PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 07-20-2020, 02:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
It won't be the first 3 images because they are not on a B-25, looks like B-24 nose gear which was rather shorter than B-25's nose gear.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:30 AM

This PDF of a 2015-2016 article by a Jeff Thatcher, son of David Thatcher who was one of Ruptured Duck's crew, may be of interest.
Found it just now while playing in Google out of curiosity. http://www.childrenofthedoolittlerai..._My_Father.pdf

Their website seems a good place to inquire; Children of the Doolittle Raiders | Organization Information

Quote:
Children of the Doolittle Raiders was founded on April 18th, 2006, and approved by the surviving Raiders and the Doolittle Tokyo Raider Organization.
History of the Children of The Doolittle Raiders

Founded on April 18, 2006

The Children of the Doolittle Raiders is a Group of family members of the Doolittle Raiders. Our mission is to honor, promote and preserve the history of the Doolittle Raid and the Doolittle Raiders.
Seems they also are on social media, at least on Facebook.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:42 AM

Another random Ruptured Duck find, https://www.prddesign.com/about

Quote:
The Idea

In 2008, the longtime dream to create my custom car began with the vision that was not only to build a vehicle that was WWII aircraft themed, but built like a WWII aircraft. With initial ideas formed and chassis fabrication began. 50+ hours later, I had the initial chassis design built. As is true for all things worth doing right, it required time for my vision and ideas to merge into the picture of what I wanted out of this build. Six years later, in 2014, after significant life changes such as marriage and changing jobs, the designs in my head were never more explicit about what I want to assemble. Based on sketches I had done, my friend, co-worker, and artist Matt Sutton of Sutton Designs rendered the "Ruptured Duck."

The execution phase is now in full swing. I am constructing a car that will have unique and never-before-seen styling, mixed with technology and performance, to place it in a class of its own. Imagine what you would get if you combined the famous World War II B-25 Mitchell bomber, "The Ruptured Duck," with the performance and technology of a modern sports car. Then stir that in with some vintage 30's style -- this is The Ruptured Duck.

This 100% hand-built aluminum body will incorporate the design and styling of the B-25 Mitchell bomber glass nose and windshield, with the three window 30s coupe rear roof and truck shapes. The car will feature a full belly pan, and B-25 bomber inspired wheels.

The history behind the build adds depth and detail to the design, giving the car a story that takes you back to the early 1940s.

Ruptured Duck History

The “Ruptured Duck” #40-2261 B-25 Mitchell bomber was the #7 bomber to take-off from the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Hornet and bombed Japan in response to the attack on Pearl Harbor. Flown by Pilot Lt. T.W. Lawson, Co-Pilot Lt. D. Davenport, Navigator Lt. C.L. McClure, Bombardier Lt. R.S. Clever, and Engineer Gunner Sgt. D.J. Thatcher off of the aircraft carrier on April 18th, 1942. The crew of the “Ruptured Duck’ succeeded in its mission to bomb Japan and then headed toward China to land in safety, but because of early mission launching, they ran out of fuel and had to abandon the plane, crashing into the China Sea. The “Ruptured Duck” was made famous mainly because of the book and movie 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, which was written by Pilot Lt. Ted W. Lawson.

The back story of the name “Ruptured Duck” stems from the practice airfields where the bomber crews were learning how to take off of an aircraft carrier. One member of a flight crew thought that the bombers looked like injured birds skipping across the runway during practice take-offs, and the term “Ruptured Duck” came to mind. Based on the slang name for an honorable discharged veteran and pin given to those veterans called a “Ruptured Duck.” When they called Lawson’s plane this same name, it stuck. A fellow crew member painted the nose art onto the nose of the bomber. The unique history and importance behind the “Ruptured Duck” and its name are reasons why I chose the name for this build.

I feel that this build is a perfect way to honor all of those who embarked on this dangerous and brave mission and every soldier who fought for our country then and now​
Old 07-20-2020, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Thank you Scott,

You're correct, never thought of comparing the different views, it does look like a B24 or something rather than the B25.

Will work on it some after work tonight. Not sure on the rubber band system going to use, have thought of a different type of shaft drive system. Or just angle them like some of the other designs.

Thank you for your research to answer my questions.

Mike
Old 07-20-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Thank you for your research to answer my questions.
Welcome! As you may have deduced by now, I enjoy doing that as a recreational activity.
Google Adsense
Old 07-25-2020, 04:04 PM

Still working on the B25B model.

Spent most of the evenings working on the canopy-front bombardier's wind screen. Boy is that fun, will need to print some out to test how well they line up.

For three nights tried to get the proper length to fit the sides before any printing. After several frustrating tries, finally the light bulb went off, simple triangle calculator found my answer. Had given up for the night, turned the design computer off and was getting ready for a movie.

My mind wouldn't let it go, then just, like a light a light bulb lighting up the darkness, realized that this was just a triangle question, both computers back up and running, one for internet, other for designing, input the numbers into an on-line calculator and there was my answer. Worked perfect.

How did I ever survive math without the net? Not really very good at math, rely on programs for my answers...

Have not done any math like that for years, to say I don't remember would not be exactly correct, don't even remember what grade it was that I learned about triangles.

Now for the bottom fuselage and almost time to downsize model for printing. I draw all my models at full scale, then scale down for printing.

All kinds of ideas now for a rubber band system for power, might try them all to see which is the most efficient. Something like a propeller driven tractor pull might be in my future.

Mike
Old 07-25-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
All kinds of ideas now for a rubber band system for power, might try them all to see which is the most efficient. Something like a propeller driven tractor pull might be in my future.
You know that means you have to spend more time flying; aw man, flying models are such a burden.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:29 PM

B25B Nose Job

Well, after several tries, finally learned how to make lines for the canopy and bombardier to line up in a 2D drawing.

This was rather difficult, took most of today and parts of yesterday. I did learn a way to do it though.

Have some touch up to do, but here is what the B25 nose section looks like after printing a test plot to see how things are lining up.

The book? very 1st printing just released this month, Paul Dye is a member at a different forum. He has some very interesting careers, he also fly's a Vans RV airplane kind'a like mine. He also has a little one person jet...

Here are the photos of the nose section construction:
Rubber Band Power-pict0911.jpg

Rubber Band Power-pict0912.jpg

Rubber Band Power-pict0913.jpg

Rubber Band Power-pict0914.jpg

Now I can go to the airfoil and finish some other odds and ends before a final print and build.

Still thinking on the drive system, thinking now favors the u-joint or wire u-joint methods.

Mike
Old 07-27-2020, 07:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
"Still thinking on the drive system, thinking now favors the u-joint or wire u-joint methods."

Have you considered using bicycle brake cable (or a lighter version of it) as a torque cable? seems simpler than trying to make little u-joints. the cables we have now are looser in their sheaths than what our predecessors had available.

I keep envisioning a single rubber band with a reduction/transmission that has two outputs (I think the B24 example you shared had such a thing in the nose). with the big and slow (compared to scale) propellers, counter rotating might be a necessity. A twin rubber band solution might be simpler, but heavier.

Watching with great interest on this one....
Old 07-27-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansorge View Post
"Still thinking on the drive system, thinking now favors the u-joint or wire u-joint methods."

Have you considered using bicycle brake cable (or a lighter version of it) as a torque cable? seems simpler than trying to make little u-joints. the cables we have now are looser in their sheaths than what our predecessors had available.

I keep envisioning a single rubber band with a reduction/transmission that has two outputs (I think the B24 example you shared had such a thing in the nose). with the big and slow (compared to scale) propellers, counter rotating might be a necessity. A twin rubber band solution might be simpler, but heavier.

Watching with great interest on this one....
Yes, a counter rotating propeller would be best, that means will have to make one, or devise a way to use an electric or gas one. I do have an order in for some free wheeling clutches from a website I found.

A very small wire rope might work. Something to think about and look for. Small enough dia., the ends could be formed into a loop using super glue and some thread to tie it together instead of a nicro-press sleeve. Sure would simplify everything, for a little weight penalty.

Thank you for the idea!

you are correct. The two rubber band idea would weigh quite a bit, would need two have two tubes instead of one, everything will double. The P38 Lightning was easier as a twin for sure.

Plan to post later on about the triangle issue. Seems simple now, but it had me going for quite some time.

Mike
Google Adsense