PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Mike Bauers Projects

Old 04-07-2020, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Cleaning Living Area at Home

This last weekend found me cleaning my downstairs basement apartment up. Been awhile, storage area is a complete mess, so pulled most of the built models I've been keeping and moved them upstairs to get them out of the way.

After checking these photos, might guess I need more room for these, almost covered the living room floor.

7ft long SR71 Blackbird Habu in the background, others are from various build threads and a few stomp rockets:
Cleaning Living Area at Home-dsc_0688.jpg

Cleaning Living Area at Home-dsc_0690.jpg

Cleaning Living Area at Home-dsc_0680.jpg

Cleaning Living Area at Home-dsc_0681.jpg

Cleaning Living Area at Home-dsc_0682.jpg

Cleaning Living Area at Home-dsc_0683.jpg

Cleaning Living Area at Home-dsc_0686.jpg

At the beginning of March I threw an outside Alaska Beachwear Party. Had to wear a swim suit on the outside of whatever you choose to wear to stay warm.

Was told that this was the first of many more years of doing this. Everybody had a great time standing around the fire pit, or sitting on the frozen ice seat I carved from the snow.
Cleaning Living Area at Home-dsc_0659.jpg

Here is what my house looks like from the road, this photo was taken on Sunday the 5th of April. Going to be one of those years when snow is still on the ground on Memorial Weekend...
Cleaning Living Area at Home-dsc_0673.jpg

Hope you are all well! Stay safe and keep busy at home building more models.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 04-08-2020, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
That is a nice collection! And, for being holed up in the basement, look pretty unscathed.

Tell us more (maybe again) about that Dynajet bird.

Jim
Old 04-08-2020, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVA View Post
That is a nice collection! And, for being holed up in the basement, look pretty unscathed.

Tell us more (maybe again) about that Dynajet bird.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your interest.

It is a Red head from Hobby King.

Many years ago, sometime around 2003-2004 sold jet powered paper airplanes on eBay. An interesting thing happened, a commercial company bought one of my models.

They were thinking was violating some of their patents. Then the head engineer contacted me. They had some spares and sent enough RC stuff to create a flying model.

Then it really gets strange, someone who knew about me contacted me out of thin air. I did not know them.

After a few emails was able to trade a bunch of my printed on 2x3ft sheets of cardstock, 3ft-5ft long models for a Suzuki Edwards F94C Starfire Pulsejet, and P38 Lightning balsa/tissue model.
Cleaning Living Area at Home-f94-c-starfire.jpg

Cleaning Living Area at Home-f-94-starfire-fuselage.jpg

Cleaning Living Area at Home-f-94c-main-casting.jpg

It had a brand new Tigerjet Engine in the box with new spark plugs.

After I sold it, found out it was one of very few Tigerjets in the world that was accounted for. Lots more Dynajets. Went for $1823 on ebay, two bidders, the looser immediately contacted me with an offer of $3500. He should have bid accordingly! Low balling lost the bid.

You can see how shiny the 1950 engine is!
Still have the Cleveland Models P38 Lightning though, part of the trade.

At the same time was challenged to create a paper airplane powered with a pulsejet.

It has taken an incredibly long time, but, the next version will be designed for flight. The one in the photo has a "power skid" system that is made out of wood. Afraid it will vibrate apart within seconds.

Bought a TIG welder and now can weld up a new system out of aluminum.

The old model has a four foot wingspan, weighs less than the 3.5lbs of thrust the engine is supposed to put out.

New version is larger, will be using some kind of take-off dolly or fixed landing gear. Wingspan as designed is now 4.5 feet and the outer rudders will be bolted to the wings. Carbon fiber square tubing for the spars.

My plan is to build it and then test fuel burn until I get just enough in it for a takeoff. Really don't want the thing getting up to speed, not sure how the paper cardstock will handle much over 100mph.

One thing you don't see is a product called "no-burn". Bought a spray bottle on Amazon years ago. It works great. If lightly applied in layers.

You can see the rusted steel heat plate under the pulsejet that once moving should be able to protect the nearest paper parts.

In 2009-2010 tried using a V1 design. No way to balance jet and extra weight in the tail, they used a massive warhead. Model was an incredible build, heavy but strong!

Anyway-there are a couple of build thread when trying different things. Plan is to print and build the Flying Prototype this winter, a little rubber band project got me going in a different direction.

Soon, real soon the build will start! Final step is to do the take-off dolly or landing gear. Oh, wait'll you see the updated Bee Paint

Here are some threads:
BUZZZZZZ Pulsejet Powered Paper Airplane Project

Buzzzzz 2 Pulsejet Paper Airplane

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Cleaning Living Area at Home-1950s-tigerjet.jpg  

Last edited by mbauer; 04-08-2020 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Mention Paint