PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > mldixons projects

Old 11-25-2010, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspacemike View Post
Would anyone have the markings/labels to the maintenance hatches? I do not have close enough reference photos. For example, on the starboard lower section just outside the equipment bay, I am able to barely make out: "Warning - - - Hatch Lift Cart must be in place before Latch(Hatch?) Release". Generally the markings are the same for each D21, but I have noticed that they varied depending on the mission.

Mldixon: Are you accounting for the little bulge for the equiptment bay?
And will there be a booster in the picture? (not to worry, it is easy enough that I can scratch one of these.)
This booster version was the D-21B and was launched from under the wing of the B52H from a added pylon. Only four launches and then the program was ended. I was after the one that sits on top of the A-12 hence the D-21 version. Yes I am buildiing in the bulge. But the operational history of this craft was a complete diaster and it was considered a failure. So I feel no pressure with this model.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi mldixon,

Looks great!

Kind of curious if you have some three views of the d-21 you used to do your rendering?

I only had some photos to use, haven't been able to find a 3-vu anywhere. I have some photos I took of the M-21 Blackbird and D-21 at the Seattle Museum of Flight.

Not very good perspective, but if you need any I would be happy to send you them.

Although they recovered hardly any of the canisters, several were launched from B-52's after Kelly Johnson ended the program. Launching them from the M-21 Blackbirds was canceled when one was lost with a pilot.

In his book, Ben Rich says that this is the worlds most efficient aerodynamics aircraft.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 11-26-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi mldixon,

Looks great!

Kind of curious if you have some three views of the d-21 you used to do your rendering?

I only had some photos to use, haven't been able to find a 3-vu anywhere. I have some photos I took of the M-21 Blackbird and D-21 at the Seattle Museum of Flight.

Not very good perspective, but if you need any I would be happy to send you them.

Although they recovered hardly any of the canisters, several were launched from B-52's after Kelly Johnson ended the program. Launching them from the M-21 Blackbirds was canceled when one was lost with a pilot.

In his book, Ben Rich says that this is the worlds most efficient aerodynamics aircraft.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Try this link for a good three view image.
http://www.donsmodelworks.com/wmprods/images/wm72076.jpg
Thanks for the offer of additional material but to be honest with you I have hard drive overload already on this one.

Video of the midair crash

Last edited by mldixon; 11-26-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: No you tube link
Old 11-26-2010, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
mldixon,

Thank you!

Haven't been to this site before, interesting supply of books and other items. Will have to check it out more, once again Thank you!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 11-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Its an interesting aircraft isn't it?
A nicely detailed version (like you are designing) will be a cool addition!
...especially if it does mate up (scale wise) to the SR71.
During a visit to Beale AFB, Calif, years ago, I came by a display of a D-21 on a transport cart near the flight area of the base. I had never seen one of them before, nor had I heard of the drone. I looked it over for several minutes and started to walk away when someone came out of the building it was in front of.

After questioning him for several minutes, I learned a lot about the aircraft, and what it could do, and also that it had recently been quietly declassified.

I recall reading somewhere about one of the drones being found in either China or the old Soviet Union. They was a bit of confusion as to what it was and where it came from. I think I would have been somewhat confused if one morning, one of them appeared in my backyard. 8v)
Google Adsense
Old 11-26-2010, 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=
I recall reading somewhere about one of the drones being found in either China or the old Soviet Union. They was a bit of confusion as to what it was and where it came from. I think I would have been somewhat confused if one morning, one of them appeared in my backyard. 8v)[/QUOTE]

Heres a link to the D-21 in China.
PLA Retired Gen. admitted China once got D-21 Drone in 1971|China Military Power Mashup
Pictures of the Chinesse standing over the recovered drone. Also the Russians recoverd one and gave the pieces back to a Diplomat. They also developed one by reverse engineering the recovered drone, but never produced it.? Maybe. ? Who knows for sure?
Old 11-26-2010, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldixon View Post

Video of the midair crash
Those curved trails behind the SR71. Are they there because of the curved atmospheric flightpath where it is so high in the stratosphere? Are they there from the fish-eye of the camera lens? or are they there because the SR71 is trying to create more uplift force on the drone?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
Those curved trails behind the SR71. Are they there because of the curved atmospheric flightpath where it is so high in the stratosphere? Are they there from the fish-eye of the camera lens? or are they there because the SR71 is trying to create more uplift force on the drone?
Found this quote from some engineer type. so I speculate it was the uplift force that causes the curve. But I am no expert on this... just an opinion...

" Unfortunately, the drone was not able to penetrate the shock wave coming off the mother-ship. The D-21 (#504) had almost cleared the M-21's rudders when it encountered the shock wave, bounced off, rolled 45 degrees to the port (left) side, and impacted the mother-ship almost directly at Station 715, where the forward fuselage attaches to the wing root. Between the impact and resulting explosion, #941 was for all intents and purposes cut cleanly in two."
Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 AM

First unfolds Mock up

Here are some pics of the first unfold of the white model. UV mapping next. Formers need some fine tuning. Tail just added quickly as I have not attacked that for true form yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Lockheed D-21 Drone 1:35 Scale-img_0072.jpg   Lockheed D-21 Drone 1:35 Scale-img_0073.jpg   Lockheed D-21 Drone 1:35 Scale-img_0074.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
Your further along than I am. I currently did a test piece to check on the profile. I like this little drone because it is very aerodynamic. The initial test looks good, did it with typing paper. Should have used card stock, but this is just a test. I am using descriptive geometry (and trig) to figure all the curves and angles (old school). I will confirm with program in the next few days. Hope you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Lockheed D-21 Drone 1:35 Scale-dscn0313.jpg   Lockheed D-21 Drone 1:35 Scale-dscn0314.jpg   Lockheed D-21 Drone 1:35 Scale-dscn0315.jpg   Lockheed D-21 Drone 1:35 Scale-dscn0316.jpg   Lockheed D-21 Drone 1:35 Scale-dscn0317.jpg  

Google Adsense