PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Armor

Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
MM Armour Contest - Type 1 Chi-He

The Type 1 Chi-He was a development of the Type 97 Chi-Ha medium tank. The hull was uparmoured and welded rather than riveted. A different turret design was used with a 47mm gun similar to that used in the Chi-Ha Shinhoto.
The Type 1 designation suggests it was designed in 1941 (Showa year 2601) but delays in official acceptance/production process meant the Type 1 wasn't produced until 1943. Most Type 1s were held in reserve for the defence of Japan and there is no record of them being used in action.

The MM model depicts a Type 1 of the 5th Division, IJA, Saitama Prefecture, 1945 (my guess at the Polish caption).

The MM model runs to 8 pages of parts - the printing is fine and accurate - as good as any other current publisher. There are about 5 pages of instructions (in Polish) and build diagrams - the diagrams are very clear and better than many other publishers.

The design is a bit unusual in that many of the hull skin parts are directly laminated to 1mm card so the model doesn't have a frame just a very thick skin.

The designer is Pawel Mistewicz, who I believe, has a considerable reputation for aircraft model design.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
MM Armour Contest - Type 1 Chi-He-cover.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Nice, I have been wanting to see this one built. Good luck Charlie!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I look forward to hearing your take on this one, Charlie. The kit looks good to the eye (IMHO), but seeing it built by skilled and experienced hands such as yours should give some real insight into this one.
Chris
Old 08-02-2009, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
This one builds up very nicely. One thing to remember is to make extra rim flange pieces for the tension wheels as not enough are provided. Good luck on your build.

Greg
Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I always like to see a Japanese AFV being built. Good choice, Douglas! Looking forward to the build.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I've got two of these kits, so I'll also be looking forward to this thread.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Charlie -- I'm not sure why I called you "Douglas." Must have just finished posting in one of BManic's threads.

Anyway, I am glad to see this one in your hands. You know I am interested in Japanese AFVs and have the WAK Type 94 tankette in the queue. I appreciate the historical info and the unit identification.

From your description, this sounds like you are beginning with a decent kit and, with your skills, the build should be well worth watching.

Don
Old 08-04-2009, 05:26 PM

A small update on the historical part.....

The Chi-He modelled belonged to the headquarters company, 5th Tank Regiment (not Division as I thought).

Interestingly some 300+ Chi-Ha (and Chi-He?) tanks were captured by the Red Army in Manchuria and turned over to the Chinese People's Liberation Army. These were used from 1945 onwards - I've no idea whether they were used in action against the Nationalist forces.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 08-04-2009, 08:02 PM

Found the original drawing that, I think, the Chi-He model is based on.... It's from TankPower 12 Japanese Armour Vol 4 published by AJ Press. The colours in the model seem a lot brighter than the impression of the vehicle.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
MM Armour Contest - Type 1 Chi-He-tankpower_12_p123.jpg  
Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looking forward to this build. It looks quite an impressive tank. I don't know how it compared to the allied tanks in its day.

Tim
Google Adsense