PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Armor

Old 08-06-2009, 12:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Thatsa sturdy looking stucture - keep up the good work.

Any thought on how you will make the rivets?

Tim
Old 08-06-2009, 03:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
There were eight FT-17s assigned to the island of Jersey. These were cannibalized to maintain the two that were still operable by late 1944. Initially, they were the only Axis armor on the island until the heavy tanks showed up: French Char B1 bis. (Now I know what to do with that recent Orel B1 Bis kit!) After their arrival, the FT-17s were assigned to airport security, as they were so commonly used in France.
This is a shot of an Occupied France FT, but the ones in Jersey look identical from what I've found so far.
MM Armor Contest R-17-ftger.jpg
I'm just not sure about that wheel previously mentioned. Can't seem to find a good clear photo. The search continues.
The French were phasing out the FT-17/18s at the start of WWII, so I wonder if the French FTs had any of the many improvements that the Polish had implemented on their tanks??
Chris
Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Just to help with the FT-17 idler issue. The early idlers were built up something like an old wagon wheel. The later FT-17s seem to have had the idlers made from a steel casting. I've found images of both types - the steel idlers are on a pair of FT-17s at Saumur.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
MM Armor Contest R-17-ft_17_wooden.jpg   MM Armor Contest R-17-ft_17_steel.jpg  
Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This thread contains a wealth of information about this very widely used tank. Very helpful! Was there an armored force in the entire world that did not own at least one of these little "17s"?

Don
Old 08-06-2009, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I find this at Amazon

There is also this book

I have the Modelarz model and I think for the rivets I will glue in place individual black poppy seeds. I can press the seed on to a finger nail stick to flat down one side slightly. And the black will match the black of the ink so it does not need painting.

I find this with Google using "Renault FT Poland"

http://www.geocities.com/pibwl/ft17.htm It is the site about the Poland FT tanks.

There is also this

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/pol/PolandFT17.htm

And the US Army it find the FT in Afghanistan ?!?! http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/a...-2-27-03FW.pdf
Google Adsense
Old 08-06-2009, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These are great finds, Oksana! I was amazed to hear that an FT17 had been found in Afghanistan. I look forward to seeing your version.

Lots of reference material here, Chris!

Don
Old 08-06-2009, 11:25 AM

Yes, thanks for the info! I've got the Osprey book and I found the second site, but the other has better info.
I've scoured my Jersey Occupation library (I actually have one!), but there is sadly little info on the FTs and very few photos;
MM Armor Contest R-17-german-armor-channel-islands.jpg
This is the only book I've got that documents the armor in Jersey, but it's almost entirely about the B1 bis.
These are the only actual photos of FTs on Jersey that I could find;
MM Armor Contest R-17-2-fts.jpg
Here's two FTs. The forward tank seems noticeably dirtier. The Jersey FTs didn't seem to have the ID plates on the front and rear sides that the Continental Captured FTs had.
MM Armor Contest R-17-bike-tank.jpg
The Jersey FTs seemed to have the same markings as the ones used in France, including the same number 7 on the turret. The MM kit looks like a standard FT, without the Polish thinner tracks, so I think I can build the kit as is and have a good representation of the Jersey FTs.
Hopefully, I can get back to some building tomorrow!
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
MM Armor Contest R-17-jersey-fts.jpg  
Old 08-06-2009, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
This should be very interesting. The Modelarz kit it look very good so far (considering it is Modelarz).
Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The thinner tracks were a Polish innovation - they don't seem to have been fitted to other FT-17s.

There were 2 FT-17s found in rubbish dumps in Afganistan - I believe both of them have been shipped to the Paton museum. The Paton museum has a 6-ton tank (FT-17 built under licence in the US) so you'll be able to compare the tanks when the FT-17(s) go on display.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 08-31-2009, 11:38 AM

Not much to report. Been very busy. A little progress.
There's a misalignment on the body, but it's just registration markings for a hinge;
MM Armor Contest R-17-img_2574.jpg
Body's done and I'm onto the wheel carriage. I'll be doubling the thickness of the support arm (or whatever it's called) for added strength. The size of the parts in the kit don't exactly correspond to each other; I only hope I'm not making more trouble for myself by doing this!
Hopefully, I'll be able to get a little more modeling in soon on this and my other MM kits.
MM Armor Contest R-17-img_2575.jpg
Chris
Google Adsense