PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Armor

Old 08-01-2009, 10:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
MM Armor Contest R-17

My entry for this one will be the classic WWI tank, the Renault R-17. I plan on heavily modifying this one with rivets, paint and any detail I can come up with!
Chris
MM Armor Contest R-17-img_2564.jpg
Google Adsense
Old 08-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Great choice Chris, a very interesting subject. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Sounds like an interesting build - improving the suspension would be a real achievement - I haven't seen an FT-17 model which does justice to the original suspension.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 08-02-2009, 03:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Great choice! - looking forward to this build

Tim
Old 08-02-2009, 09:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I see you are proceeding on several fronts, Chris.

This is among the most historic and widely-used of tanks. Good choice.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 08-05-2009, 03:18 PM

I was going to start on my SU-2 for the Aviation section of this competition, but I'm having really horrible problems with cleaning up my scans.
So in the meantime, I'm getting a start on the FT.

MM Armor Contest R-17-img_2568.jpg
The frame is very simple and I thought it wise to add a good number of supports to stiffen it up a bit.

MM Armor Contest R-17-img_2570.jpg
This kit isn't the "skinning the box" assembly that most of the later kits seem to be, it's just a skin on frame.

MM Armor Contest R-17-img_2571.jpg
The #110 paper I'm using is definitely thinner than the blotter paper of the original kit, so I'm expecting a few slight misfits as a result. As I'm planning on painting this model, I'm hoping I can simply trim any excess off the edges.

I've been looking at color schemes for the FT-17 (or R-17) and while I really like some of the bolder WWI camo schemes, I'm tempted to finish this one in a WWII scheme; either the Morrocan Vichey French colors or the German captured colors (simple dark gray). MY wife is from the Isle of Jersey and on a visit there I got to stick my head up into one of the FT turrets that had been used as a pillbox fortification on an old Napoleonic fort there. So I think I may be leaning toward the gray, just for personal reasons..
I also need to print out a couple extras of a few of the pages so I can layer a few of the details.
I still haven't figured out how the tracks on this one go together, so if anyone's built this and can give me a pointer or two, I'd appreciate it!:o
I suspect I'll need to glue the tracks down on at least another layer of paper to get a decent thickness out of them; has anyone done this before?
Chris
Old 08-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The model it appear to be the Renault R-31 or FT-31 from the World War II Poland army. It is the modernized FT-17 with iron leading wheels with pie piece segments versus wood from the First World War. There is the Russian Renault that is similar.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:41 PM

Interesting info, thank you! As the FT-17s used in Jersey were part of a group of tanks reconditioned by the Germans, I'm not sure if or how they would have been updated. More research is called for! I'll see what I can find out about the Jersey tanks and decide whether it's really worth it, but I think I'd like to go that route if I can.
Chris
Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Looks like you are off to a good start. Personally I think dark grey would be great, that's what I'm thinking for the Stuart as well. I really don't care if there ever was a dark grey Stuart I just like the colour for tanks.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
Interesting info, thank you! As the FT-17s used in Jersey were part of a group of tanks reconditioned by the Germans, I'm not sure if or how they would have been updated. More research is called for! I'll see what I can find out about the Jersey tanks and decide whether it's really worth it, but I think I'd like to go that route if I can.
Chris
The French army was still operating FT-17s in 1940 so the Germans would have captured the maintenance organisation and spares when they invaded.

The Germans certainly remanufactured French armour as various SP Guns in France so it seems reasonable that they would have used the ex-French army maintenance facilities to recondition FT-17s.

FT-17s were also used by the Luftwaffe as airfield security vehicles in France and Holland.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense