PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Armor

Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for the tip, look forward to photos. Rivets can be daunting little critters.Rick
Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Mike, it would be great if you can do a mini tutorial on the rivets. It sounds like a very effective technique. I'm always looking for better ways to make rivets.
Thanks!
Chris
Old 02-26-2010, 01:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mike, I always suffer from delaminating paper when build very small parts like rivet. Do you paint the edge with lacquer that have adherence?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Yu,
Same here - about half of the disk I cut for rivets are wasted because of the delaminating paper
I color the edges with art markers (any type of paint and I do not agree for some reason ) so no help here.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Ok, here is how I do the rivets - any suggestions to ease the task will be welcomed as there is plenty more to do on this tank.
First I installed the hatch and hinges. All extra parts to make it a 3D assembly are provided in the kit. The only change I did was to laminate the hatch with an exta layer of card to make it more pronounced and "tanklike". rest of the process is ilustrated on step-by-step photos.

Disclaimer - no actual glue was applied during taking of the photos as I decided no to ask my wife (I'm happy that she tolerates the hobby and will not risk jeopardizing the status quo ) and used "helping (or third) hand" contraption instead.
Attached Thumbnails
MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-08.jpg   MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-09.jpg   MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-10.jpg   MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-11.jpg   MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-12.jpg  

MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-13.jpg   MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-14.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-27-2010, 02:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
That's a lot of work for each rivet. Looks good though.

Tim
Old 02-27-2010, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Thanks for illustrating the rivet work, Mike. They look really great, some of the best I've ever seen in any medium. Not sure I'll ever have your patience, though!
Chris
Old 02-27-2010, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good-looking rivets. Another of those repetitive tasks where I guess you just have to put on a recording of shaku-hachi music and enter a Zen-like state.

Don
Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Thank you guys.
Surprisingly making those rivets is not that bad - it is repetitive, but proceeds smoothly.
I actually added one more step to the rivet making process - before I cut them out, I cover the backside of card with thin layer of CA glue. This greatly helps with the delamination issue :D

Engine louvers completed. All parts to make them 3D are provided in the kit as an option.
Attached Thumbnails
MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-15.jpg   MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-16.jpg   MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-17.jpg   MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-18.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 11:08 PM

First issue to report...
Attached Thumbnails
MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-19.jpg  
Google Adsense