PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Armor

Old 02-28-2010, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mike, you finally found the solution of paper delamination. Thanks I’ll give it a try.
And I suppose your decision not to ask your wife for help taking photo would be wise judgement
Old 02-28-2010, 08:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Three hours worth of work later (before I collapsed at 3am )
Attached Thumbnails
MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-20.jpg   MM Armor Contest Japanese Medium Tank Chi-He-mm-chi-he-21.jpg  
Old 02-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Eternal Member

I like it,
Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work on the engine louvres, and you certainly dealt with the porblem of the missing cover pieces very well.

Don
Old 02-28-2010, 01:34 PM

Question for experienced tank buidlers - others might chip in as well
Turns out that I'm getting into an area where instead of rivets Japanese engineers used hexagonal screws...
While I can do few of those (did two so far so I know what's ahead of me), making whole bunch of them for the rear deck is rather out of the question for hand cutting :o
How do you deal with this? Is there an easy and fast way to cut them out? Can I substitue them with circles?
Google Adsense
Old 02-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Eternal Member

What i would suggest from doing metal work and making nuts and bolts cut out round as close to the size and then just do a few cuts. what works in metal class should work on paper also should not be as hard as trying to get a hexagon shape with a hand file. Not trying to be funny but it is the one thing I remember from metal work class that and never ever faint while working on the lathe.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:17 PM

That still leaves me with a lot of hand cutting of very small parts.
I need some method to make it more repetition-friendly...
Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
If you are not a paper purist, Evergeen make hex shaped styrene rod that can be sliced to the thickness of your choice. I did this to add extra detail to the wheels of a truck I built.

Greg
Old 02-28-2010, 05:30 PM

THANKS!
Greg,
I'm not into styrene but your post jogged my memory - AvantCard - Your Scratch-Built Modeling Supply Source! Buy directly from the manufacturer. We are adding to the line almost daily so check back often! :D
I just hope he is still around as I placed a rather sizeable order for several goodies...
Old 02-28-2010, 05:50 PM

AvantCard.biz is still around, I have been hawking him(Bruce), for the last couple weeks from my build thread. I was going to suggest and then I read your last posting about remembering him. His laser cut nut/bolt assortment cover a broad range of sizes. I also placed another order with him yesterday. His work is great and he is a good guy to deal with. I hope you can use the parts, that as always is still paper. The 55 gal drum post here is also from him in a kit form. I have ordered alot from him lately for the building of the Lxd2. Thanks for the photos of how you made the rivets, I know the tool and will pick one up tomorrow. I do however have another suggestion for stopping delamination, nitrate dope applied before you cut out part. Then follow the rest of the steps you have developed for the rivets. I have to make over a 1000!!!!!!!!!. Rick
Google Adsense