PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Aviation

Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ah, the joys of early MM models! Setting the color issues aside, it looks like you have done a great job producing a good-looking fuselage. Perhaps a "time out" on the shelf as opposed to becoming kindling...???
Old 09-15-2009, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Actually, Chris, that fuselage looks pretty darned good to me and I think you should finish the build. In fact, I'd be delighted to be able to build one that looked half as good.

The color difference doesn't look too bad and Dan has probably already invented a story involving field expedient cannibalization in the Frontovaya Aviatsya in the early weeks of the Great Patriotic War to account for it.

Don
Old 09-15-2009, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
..."field expedient cannibalization in the Frontovaya Aviatsya in the early weeks of the Great Patriotic War". I seem to remember something about that myself, now that you mention it, Don.:D
Forging ahead, despite my own blunders;
MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2595.jpg
The fit isn't all that bad and better than a lot of its contemporary MM kits. The fairings for the wings are a bit tricky and one or two parts need a little trimming to fit.
MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2596.jpg
This thing has a good, solid feel to it, wish I were doing a better job of it.

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2597.jpg
I did find the locations for a couple of the mystery bombadier parts, but there's still four or five I just don't get. Still working on those.
I think this may become a "test" model. I've been wanting to try and airbrush some thin watercolors on paper models to try and get some tonal variation. I've done it with weathering and it's worked out nicely (Stukas, of course), but I'd like to see how far I can take the technique in actually coloring models. This one looks more and more like the perfect candidate!
Chris
Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 PM

Beautiful build, please continue!! The Su-2 is one of my favorite planes. I wish there were more models and documentation/photos of it.

Btw, here are some screenshots from my flight simulator. The 3d model isn't perfect, but I hope some bits can be useful.

Last edited by Romanator21; 09-15-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 PM

Love the images, Romanator21! I wish this kit had half the detail of your simulator model!
One issue I'm coming up to. The bubble rear machine gun canopy; I can't seem to find a consistent plan for it. The shape varies a lot in all the numerous references I've found; flat top bubbles, simple rounds, egg ellipses and more. Not really sure what it's supposed to look like. Do you think it's possible that there was a bit of variation on these? Doesn't seem likely to me. I suspect there's just not a lot of good info out there.... working on it.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 AM

I have seen loads of drawings all with different canopies. I don't think it's inconceivable that they would vary a lot. I realize the screenshots came too late to help you out much, but hopefully you can see the bomb-bay reasonably well.

Edit: I almost forgot to post one of the landing gear, I will get on that right away. I only wish I knew what was behind those small circular windows in the tail, and the four windows under the wing.

BTW in case you, or anyone else, are interested the sim is IL-2 1946. It's a DVD for only $20 which contains all the titles of the series and has about 300 flyable planes from WWII (the Su-2 is not one of the flyables). I'm using it for reference of the Soviet R-10 as well The game is a good model of combat tactics, gunnery, formation flying, etc but sadly you cannot perform complex tasks in the cockpit (one can control throttle, prop pitch, fuel mixture, etc, but engine is started with a simple keystroke)

Roman

Last edited by Romanator21; 09-16-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:59 PM

I don't know how accurate it is though, but I'll be using these when I build the su-2 as there is simply nothing else available.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:35 PM

The windows on the underside are for the bombadier/gunner. There's a glass plate just forward of the gunner's seat.
Chris
Old 09-16-2009, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanator21 View Post
BTW in case you, or anyone else, are interested the sim is IL-2 1946. It's a DVD for only $20 which contains all the titles of the series and has about 300 flyable planes from WWII (the Su-2 is not one of the flyables). I'm using it for reference of the Soviet R-10 as well The game is a good model of combat tactics, gunnery, formation flying, etc but sadly you cannot perform complex tasks in the cockpit (one can control throttle, prop pitch, fuel mixture, etc, but engine is started with a simple keystroke)
Roman
It probably wouldn't be easy to emulate an engine start on aircraft of this era. (Digs in memory)...

- Hold the stick back with right leg
- Pump fuel with left hand
- Spin up the inertia starter with right hand (30secs)
- Engage clutch and hope the thing fires up.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 09-16-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
It probably wouldn't be easy to emulate an engine start on aircraft of this era. (Digs in memory)...

- Hold the stick back with right leg
- Pump fuel with left hand
- Spin up the inertia starter with right hand (30secs)
- Engage clutch and hope the thing fires up.

Regards,

Charlie

But IL2 is mostly Eastern Front so for the VVS it's;

Pour pint of petrol into bottom of cowling and ignite
Ground guide Hucks truck to engage lugs on propeller.
Hold stick back with leg
Pump primer to maintain fire in cowling
Hope PTO on truck hasn't frozen.

For the Luftwaffe it's similar except for the Hucks truck, instead;
Have Black Man curse fluently at frozen Anlasswagen
Have Black Man pour pint of petrol into cowling and ignite
Have Black man insert crank and crank inertia starter until exhaustion
Replace used up Black Men as necessary until starting is accomplished.

I've had to do most of that on an AT-6, save the fire part. There was much cursing when the pilot forgot to switch on the mags before engaging starter.