PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Aviation

Old 09-20-2009, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Just realized that I've been building without posting! Sorry!
MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2598.jpg
Wings on! I wound up with a gap in one wing (entirely my fault) and so I added a disguising strip.

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2599.jpg
Landing gear on! Not very difficult, but not well designed, either. And there isn't a very good diagram for this, either.

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2601.jpg
The machine gun is a funny looking thing, kinda cartoony.

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2602.jpg
On to what I assumed would be the real challenge on this model for me; the machine gun bubble. After an aborted attempt to build it out of cut clear plastic, I decided to go with Glen's technique of building the paper canopy, filling it with Sculpey and baking it to make a form, and then pulling heated plastic down on it. Here's the Sculpey form in front of the corresponding paper part.

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2603.jpg

I decided the best way to attempt this one would be to form the plastic as side halves, rather than try for the entire form from the top. After a couple of tries I realized that I needed to get the form higher and more removed from ground level so I could pull the plastic closer and even under the form a bit, so I mounted it on a post and this helped tremendously.
Chris
Old 09-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great, Chris!

It sometimes occurs to me that the early MMs are somewhat akin to the WWII-era Megow models. The basis for a very good model in the right hands, but a challenge.

Don
Old 09-20-2009, 03:16 PM

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2604.jpg
The bubble came together, but not really very well. I had to do a lot of trimming and fitting everywhere and it still didn't come out correctly.
MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2605.jpg
The area where the machine gun comes out should be much narrower than it wound up being. I could have made it work, but not without revealing the seam line of the plastic.
MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2609.jpg
While it's definitely visible when the canopy is in place, I don't think it's too, too horrible. Especially when considering the overall look of this older kit and my horrendous color mismatch!
Chris
Old 09-20-2009, 03:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Canopy looks pretty darn good to me!
Considering the age of the kit, it builds into a nice model - or is this just your skill in creating a good model out of a horrible kit?
Old 09-20-2009, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Canopy and turret are great! You have transformed this old clunker into a really fine model.
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2009, 04:24 PM

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2608.jpg
FINISHED! There's still five pieces that I haven't found a home for; three are short rods and two are ????, who knows?:(

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2612.jpg
The color mismatch is a real pain, but I'm thinking maybe some camo or snow camo to cover the obvious differences. Maybe I can just paint the whole thing black for night ops.

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2613.jpg
All in all, this isn't a terrible kit, but it's not a particularly good one, either. There are the typical misfits and misprints of a MM kit of the era, but the SU-2 is not a particularly dramatic looking aircraft to begin with....

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2614.jpg
I think I need to put on a heavier antenna wire. I can't even see this 2 lb. mono one!

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2615.jpg

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2617.jpg

I raced through the rest of the canopy. It came out OK, but I forgot to color the inside of the frame and had to go in after and blacken it with a marker. :o

MM Aviation Contest SU-2-img_2618.jpg

I think I next need to build something that fits a little better, has adequate diagrams (possibly even English instructions!) and doesn't need to be recolored.

Chris
Old 09-20-2009, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
Looks great! Way to go. Still plenty of time to do more kits.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddlea View Post
Looks great! Way to go. Still plenty of time to do more kits.
Still got the ORP Dzik to finish and the FT-17. Plus waiting for my delivery of "antiquariate" (sp?) kits from GPM that got me killed... I got better. It's got two MM flyers I've been after for a while.
C
Old 09-20-2009, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Great build Chris, I don't know why you "need to build something that fits a little better, has adequate diagrams (possibly even English instructions!) and doesn't need to be recolored." You did such a good job on this one.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is spectacularly excellent, Chris.

Did you notice that there is a slight color variation between the rear of the fuselage and the rest of the airplane?

He said with a straight face.

Don
Google Adsense