PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Aviation

Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
MM Aviation Contest P-47

Okay, okay! I know I have two other MM threads open. I will get back to the FT R-17 build before the end of the contest. And I am definitely going to do the Me 110 that I opened a thread for. But a greater priority has arisen. When I counted my Allies vs Axis planes up on the Wall of Shame, the Axis powers outnumbered the Allies almost 4 to 1. So I'm out to even the odds a little more by doing at least 5 American planes before I do another Axis plane. I've done the PMI P-38J and this will be #2!
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3516.jpg
The kit is four pages of parts, one of formers. While the colors look fine, there is a definitely problem with the black in the blue fields. The panel lines are barely visible and so I've had to go over every line with a pen to redefine them;
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3513.jpg
It makes a huge difference and while the black may now be too dark, I'd rather that than not see it at all.
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3514.jpg
The kit doesn't look to difficult at all, so hopefully the fit is good and I won't have any problems other than my usual problem of getting in my own way.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Thats a big problem with dark blue it always swamps the other colours. and with thin lines they make them almost invisible.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 PM

Got some progress on this one. Although I sanded the formers, I still managed to come up with some edge problems. I think some thin paint afterward may help. the paper on this kit isn't all that bad, but it's not the best, either.
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3532.jpg
The fuselage sections went together well and the fit was good.
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3534.jpg
The cockpit interior is minimal, but also fits well.
The edge white showing through is exaggerated in the photo, but it's still there... better start mixing paint!
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3535.jpg
Fuselage through to tail finished today. That's pretty typical for me on one of these MM kits.
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3537.jpg
The fit of the cowling pieces was good, but the alignment wasn't great. I burnished the paper to try and get a rounder form, but this paper doesn't seem to take to it as well as others.
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3539.jpg
That's it for now. I'm also planning my FG P-39 build as one of the US planes for the wall. That'll make three. I'm thinking of doing the Try Krapki P-51, even though it's a little cartoony looking. Not sure what to do for the fifth one!?
Chris
Old 03-15-2010, 02:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
Looks great so far. It seems that you finally found a MM kit that you don't have to fight with.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:58 PM

Made some progress on this one. The bubble canopy was a big concern for me because it's larger than any I've been able to pull with just heated plastic pulled over a form. So I figured I'd better make sure I could get the canopy to work.
Formed the paper canopy.
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3550.jpg
It's a bit odd in shape, bigger in the bubble than it should be, but good enough to form a Sculpey plug with.
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3551.jpg
My first attempt at this didn't go well. Not only did I not get a good canopy, I broke the plug in half! After fixing that, I made sure I heated the plastic thoroughly for the next attempt and I was pleasantly surprised when I got a good one on the very next try!
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3568.jpg
It took a good number of passes to slowly trim it down to size. The canopy is far from perfect; there as some uneven areas, but it should look OK. I attached the frame, double checked the fit and , satisfied, set it aside for later attachment.
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3569.jpg
Tail wings went on fine. The frame for the main wing is rather complex and I simplified it some. It's still plenty strong;
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3572.jpg
The main wings and fairings went on easily.
MM Aviation Contest P-47-img_3574.jpg
So far the fit on this kit has been really nice, the paper canopy being the only questionable piece.
That's it for now. More ASAP!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Pretty quick and awesome Chris! Can't wait to see the speedy end to this one.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Beautiful job, Chris. I have this model but have been afraid to tackle it since it's a printed kit.

Your cowling looks fine as does all of the plane!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Great job on the canopy!

Rest of the build is looking tidy.

Tim
Old 03-19-2010, 09:23 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I like it a lot! I think the canopy came out very good. Aside from the disappearing black on blue problem, the register of the other colors looks pretty darn good - especially evident in the M*HV lettering on the fuselage sides. Maybe that visually impaired Maly pressman finally retired :D.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Hey Chris (and everyone else),

Back when I was doing p****c, I rarely used the kit canopy, preferring to vacuform them. They look MUCH better than the thick plastic ones in the kits.

Search on the internet for "vacuforming" and "vacuum forming". You'll find lots of good stuff.

Bob
Google Adsense