PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Aviation

Old 06-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

The way you produced the canopy and the set up you use is simplicity itself, but the output from that is a perfectly clear and well formed canopy. I will follow the way you have made this piece for sure when i finally get round to making my own... Thanks for sharing your technique The model is coming along nicely
Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Verrry nice model, Chris. I like everything about it. The "Patina" of the skin is very convincing, and the canopy came out great. First pull too! I bought a bunch of vintage Maly's when I was first getting interested in paper modelling. They were cheap, and I didn't know any better. Had a bear of a time with the first couple, and almost gave up on the hobby in frustration. Most of them sat around untouched for many years unbuilt since the paper is so...well, you know. It wasn't until I got a scanner and Photoshop that I started to realize their potential. They're not the most accurate or detailed models out there, but there is something about them that makes a Maly build particularly satisfying. I think you feel the same as I do from reading this thread. Can't wait to see it with the engines on.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Chris,

Thanks for the short class on canopy construction. I'll have to get my factory tooled up for this. It just so happens my lovely Bride has a heat gun for some of her craft projects.

This plane is coming along great. I'm looking forward to seeing the engines mounted!

Jeff
Old 06-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Engines on!
When I took the green out of the kit, it took a lot of the blue as well, so the underside ranges from a vibrant blue to almost white. I had planned to airbrush some color on to even it out, but I've decided that I like the look. It kind of goes with the splotchy gray somehow and the underside will not be readily obvious hanging up on the Wall of Shame;
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4050.jpg
The kit goes together well without a lot of "fixing", although there is some minor and simple trimming here and there.
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4051.jpg
And, yes, I gave in and did a cockpit interior. When I fitted the canopy, it was just too obvious there was nothing there, so I put a quick and simple interior in. It helps a lot even though it is in no way accurate;
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4052.jpg
Finished shots up next!
Chris
Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I like the look of this kit, simple though it is. It's an enjoyable and relaxing build. Definitely one of Bohdan Wasiak's better designs.
MM Aviation Me-262-img_4053.jpgMM Aviation Me-262-img_4054.jpgMM Aviation Me-262-img_4055.jpgMM Aviation Me-262-img_4056.jpgMM Aviation Me-262-img_4057.jpgMM Aviation Me-262-img_4058.jpgMM Aviation Me-262-img_4059.jpgMM Aviation Me-262-img_4060.jpg
I really do like building these old MM kits.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 06-17-2010, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Chris,

That looks great!!!! I see what you mean about the differences in color...frustrating I imagine. I like the job you did with the cockpit. Thanks for this thread!

Jeff
Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.69 MB
Thumbs up

Wonderful job! It shows what skill can do with even a 'simple', older model like this.

Thanks for showing it off!

Jim
Old 06-18-2010, 09:55 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I like it a LOT. Definitely looks like a well used work horse with the dappled top surface and undersurface paint probably hastily applied in the field. The cockpit, although simple and not authentic also adds a lot. Nice job overall.