PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Ships

Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
MM model contest - Western Queen

After considerable self-debate, I've decided to give another try at a build thread. A project that has long been sitting on a back burner is the MM 1972 kit of the Western Queen. As usual for a kit of this vintage, the quality of the original kit is poor, and requires a total redraw to make it worth building. So far I have a grand total of one part (the main deck) redrawn, so this will take a bit. I am using Adobe Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop Pro, and Image Forge to do the redraw. First step was to make a folder of the individual parts images, using Photoshop for cutting and pasting. Second step is to use PSP to straighten the images. Third, use Photoshop to reduce the image to an outline drawing. Fourth, use Image Forge to overdraw the outline image in a color not otherwise used in the model (and easily seen against the original outline color). Fifth, go back into photoshop and eliminate the original outline, leaving just the pixels of my overdraw. Finally, back into Image Forge to recolor the outline.

Doing a complete redraw gives the freedom to choose one's own preference in the way of colors. I'm not all that sure yet what I like best regarding the deck color. I've been trying to capture either a walnut color or an oak color. I'm leaning toward trying for the honey-amber oak color, but don't have the RGB settings quite right. If anyone has a set of RGB "coordinates" for that particular shade, please let me know so I can give them a try.
MM model contest - Western Queen-1.jpg

MM model contest - Western Queen-2.jpg

MM model contest - Western Queen-3.jpg
Old 08-08-2009, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Oh, you are a brave soul! I really like this kit and the built up ones I've seen on the internet look better than I would have thought. Of, course, with your redraw it will look like an entirely new kit!
Best of luck on it and I look forward to seeing this one reborn in your skilled hands.
Chris
Old 08-08-2009, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I saw a copy of this model at last year's convention at Dulles. It looked interesting, but with considerable challenges. If anyone can build this one, you can, however.

Don
Old 08-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Attatched is a honey-amber color patch. Try running a color picker in PSP over it until you get the shade you are looking for and note the RGB codes. Or maybe even use it as a texture or pattern to fill in the areas.
Attached Thumbnails
MM model contest - Western Queen-honeyamber.jpg  
Old 08-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Thanks, Doug. That is just the shade I was looking for.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Wow Darwin, you are obviously a 'go big or go home' type of guy. Reworking it is a great opportunity to introduce some great rich colours. I am really looking forward to seeing this come together.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Chris, I don't think I'm as much a brave soul as I am a masochist. Two parts now redrawn, only a couple hundred more to go. The new deck color is, I think, a definite improvement.

MM model contest - Western Queen-4.jpg
Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Darwin,
Check out Roman's re-draw of this same model on the Digital Navy web site Home It's the one that Don refereed to at last years convention
Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Cool - a classic sternwheeler!

Darwin, some ideas you might consider for your deck texture -

If you're using Photoshop, you could play around with the "Grain" filter to give the deck more of a feel of wood. In the attached graphic, I used "Vertical" Grain. After applying the Grain Filter I added a touch of Noise so it wouldn't look quite so "perfect".

On the resulting grain pattern, I messed around with Levels (made it lighter, decreased the contrast), Color Balance (added some yellow and red), and very importantly, Saturation (to decrease the "vividness") to try to get something like the appearance of a wood deck seen at "scale distance". Using those three basic tools you can create incredibly different variations in moments.

If the planking outlines are a separate layer, you might try using a dark grey instead of black - it might look more subtle and more realistic.

Maybe you could search online for some photos of the kind of wood deck you want to simulate - I always find working from photos much easier than trying to imagine what textures really look like.

I grew up within sight of the Mississippi, so I will be enjoying your build! Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
MM model contest - Western Queen-deck.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
try this rgb for the amber honey.. 242,212,160
Google Adsense