PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Ships

Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
According to wikipedia

The Peter von Danzig was built at the French west coast and was originally named Pierre de la Rochelle or Peter van Rosseel. Carrying sea salt from the Atlantic, the ship arrived in Danzig in 1462 after having been damaged in a storm.
The ship lay inactive for a while in Danzig harbour, and after the owner died without having paid repair costs, the ship was eventually seized and changed over to a warship when the Hanse declared war on England.
Between 1471 and 1473 the Peter von Danzig operated in the North Sea under captain Paul Beneke, hunting English merchantmen with a letter of marque and securing Hanse convoys. After the Treaty of Utrecht (1474), the ship undertook several trade trips abroad, before it was decommissioned in the late 1470s.

Peter von Danzig (person) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
What do you use as a cutting tool on that laminated Crescent board?
For the straight edges I use an Olfa utility knife, the rest (most) was done with #11 scalpel blades and a Fiskars handle.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
What do you use as a cutting tool on that laminated Crescent board?
Wyvern, if you are thinking of using Crescent board, just keep in mind that "Crescent" is a brand name. The generic name is "illustration board". There are a number of manufacturers. Staples office supply sells their own private label brand.

Other brands:
Bainbridge
Strathmore
Letraset

Very useful.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Thanks. I am looking to use it for formers after hearing so many other members of the Forum recommend it.

What I gather it that you need to cut it with a large utility knife then seal/sand it smooth.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I am looking to use it for formers after hearing so many other members of the Forum recommend it.

What I gather it that you need to cut it with a large utility knife then seal/sand it smooth.
Its more a case of cutting just outside the line then sanding to the line. Frequently the transition from part to part does not quite line up. In this case a bit of sanding will ensure a smooth transition (nobody likes a bumpy hull). I use one of the sponge core sanding blocks with a coarse surface and a fine (fine being relative) surface. The foam core nail files (sanding?) that some women use are great for the finish work. There are also ceramic nail files available but I prefer the foam core ones.
Attached Thumbnails
MM model contest - Piotr z Gdan'ska-foam-1.jpg   MM model contest - Piotr z Gdan'ska-foam-2.jpg   MM model contest - Piotr z Gdan'ska-ceramic.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Excellent info, thanks!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Been there. Built that. BUT, you'll do a MUCH better job of this than I! I did a build thread of it over @ "z" if it's still there.

Sanding the hull frame on this one is essential! I know cause I didn't do so very well and it bit me later on. Also the stern pieces are not shown well and I guessed wrong on placement back there and had to adapt following pieces to sort of fit. I quit when I got to the rigging even though I did have fun with it overall.

Greg
Old 09-23-2009, 03:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
This is an interesting very early ship Douglas. Later ship rigging (and mast raising with the "sheer hulk" the British shipyards used) looks quite different.. should be a fun project?
Old 09-23-2009, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the tips Greg, I'll see if I can find your build on "the site that must not be named".

The caravels are certainly interesting ships Glen. I was inspired to do a sailing ship by your Cleo build. I'm not ready for Alert yet but this should be good practice.

Reading about this vessel and the Hanseatic League has been interesting and adds to the enjoyment of the build.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:27 AM

That's why I bought the "Piotr", too! practice for my Shipyard Alert!

Wyvern
Google Adsense