PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Ships

Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Today my free time was devoured by work at home, specifically those two wall lights:

I had only a moment to check the effect of retouching the "white" parts:
Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 AM

You make good progress also. I found when I had make the hull for the model it fit well. I wish I had it still. I put much effort in to it and it is my most favorite ship.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:45 PM

I bought a matt, red, spray paint (well, not as matt as I'd like, but will do)

I cut out elements of plating, marked what's necessary on the back, pressed some marks at front and sprayed them with the red paint

I glued 1cm wide ribbons of 80g paper to the ribs, and coloured them with red permanent marker.

And then I started to glue the bottom - and my lack of skill became apparent - last time I glued the bottom of a big ship was over 15 years ago - and I have much to learn to be happy with my results. Ribbons didn't worked out as I wished - I'll have to think of sth better. At the moment I have "steps" in places; between first and second belt there are big rifts - between second and third they're smaller but still there they are. :(

But the shape is beautiful
Old 10-15-2009, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
The framework looks massive and the bright colors look nice, much different than the old faded kit. I have an old MM sailing vessel and I have looked at it and it does look like it could result in a nice model. On the MM Hellcat brightening the colors with acrylic paint made a surprising difference although does take time and patience to stay "in the lines"
Old 10-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
The hull looks real good - nice work.
Google Adsense
Old 10-15-2009, 06:51 PM

I find the painting of the sheets before attaching to frame interesting. Most seem to apply to frame and then paint. I like this way you did better, you can fix before attached. Your planking w/indent of planks w/as you describe: dull knife, wonderful, will give this a try as well. I think what you have done so far is just great. I have a large collection of MM ships, that I had put away for just collecting. Now after watching you, taking them out and wondering which one to give a try using your techniques. Keep it coming.:DRick
Old 10-15-2009, 07:23 PM

I have this ship also. I cut parts out and copied them to 110# cardstock. The hull frame is assembled. I will use your techniques as I continue - Thanks
'06
Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 AM

And some info about painting the elements of bottom plating - On a big sheet of card I glued 2 long ribbons of doublesided tape and 2 short in the middle for the long stabilisers. Then I attached the parts to tape and set the big sheet vertical to have it easy to paint from the spraying can. I sprayed 2 layers, each time laying the sheet down when finished, to prevent the paint from flowing and creating thicker smudges.

I didn't have my camera in work where I sprayed the parts, so today I've took it to work and made those pictures.

The big red spot under the parts is where I were test spraying, and finishing spraying by turning the can upside down and spraying until paint from the valve was gone.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:19 AM

To get smooth lines of connections of the underwater segments I've teared off the ribbons of thin paper and now I am gluing 0,5cm strips of 2mm card (I happen to have a lot of this type of card in long, 4cm wide strips)

I use cyanoacrylic glue - first catch it in spots, then fill in the spaces. First strip after the already glued on bottom I attached with the Magic glue - to avoid smearing the bottom.

So far at the moment:
Old 10-17-2009, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Placing the thicker strips on each side of the former makes sense to me. Thanks for the tip Leszek, I will have to give it a try.
Google Adsense