PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Ships

Old 01-10-2010, 03:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 254.47 MB
I have just found your thread lehcyfer!

And am so glad you are back to building "Potemkin". As I was reading and got to the parts dated around Nov.2009 I thought that you may not start again. Then I read "Ladies and gentlemen!-the winner is..." :D

The winners are those of us out here learning from you.

I am just finishing up with Shipyards "Cleopatra" and will soon be starting on "Retvizen" a Russian Predrednought Battleship of 1902 built by Cramp & Sons in Phillidelphia. Penn. What I have read and learned from your thread will be very helpfull to me. Not just because they are the same style of battleship but because of your building methods. Take your time and don't overdoit until you get back into the groove.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 01-10-2010, 05:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
It’s amazing talent that you are turning this old and look difficult to build kit into superb model. I am ashamed of myself for cursing fit issues of a kit. I must modify myself.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
In an early post you said you brushed the sheets with BCG. Is this nitro dope, like what is used on stich and tissue aircraft models?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:05 PM

Thank you all for so eagerly waiting for continuation of this build :D
Papercut, so you bought Potiomkin after all - what about Krasin?

Papercut, Royaloakmin, B-Manic, Don Boose - Yeah, the dino looks gorgeous on top of this warship I'm glad I'm done with it and can concentrate on Potiomkin (though anyway there are dozen other models in boxes in various phases of assembly)

Hambone - I'm glad you find this thread instructive - my intention on this forum is to show as precisely and repeatable as possible the exact techniques applied - so other modelers can use them immediately in their models.

YuG - the model looks hard to make, but is actually remarkably well fitting as for so old MM kit. I think that I'm fussing a bit about oversimplification and I will be introducing many changes to the original model.

Royaloakmin - BCG stands for Brand Clear Glue, it's a water based glue available in USA under name O'Glue - I explained it to Don Boose and gave some links about it at the beginning of this thread.

The sheets of card are first covered with BCG, dried using hairdryer, then covered with thin layer of cyanoacrylic glue. This two step process makes them very durable and at the same time flexible - the old paper would otherwise break while bending.

At the moment I've printed all the plans I acquired to this moment - almost 20 pages, from 3 main sources

- and the problem is - they all differ in details :(

For example - of the 6'' (152mm) guns of which there are 16 on this battleship I have 3 versions: (the dark ones are from original construction plans)

Similarly the torpedo cutters are either with or without overstructure... and there are many other differences. Anyways - now the build won't be so fast as I will be trying to make it as realistic as possible. Wish me patience
Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 PM

It is very good to see this starting back up. I'm looking forward to some more beautiful building!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:22 PM

Take your time, lehcyfer
I look forward to your changes to the original model. Lately I am very much interested in building old or simplified model that needs modification or addition of parts. I think it will improve my skill and give me sense of accomplishment.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 AM

I lust for your Potemkin cruiser...

I even made a small song while I was reading all your steps:

Potemkin cruiser, Potemkin cruiser
Little beautiful Potemkin cruiser.
You are such a beauty that gives me pain
Don't make me go to Poland on a train
Sneak into lehcyfer house and come back again

Chorus:
With you on my hands
With you under my coat
With you crossing the border
Into my room!!! Into my arms!!
Potemkin Cruiser!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:14 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Lehcyfer:
Not many projects inspire poetry. I think yours is the first!
Those gun sketches are fun to see. So here is another modeler looking forward to watching this ship get underway again.
Mike
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 PM

So glad this build is again in progress!

Lehcyfer, can it be true that you coated *twenty* pages with CA glue? You must buy superglue by the liter! How do you cover an entire page with it? Using a mop and squeegee? Hope you have really good ventilation where you work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post

I even made a small song while I was reading all your steps
:D:D:D Thank you, I loved your song! I imagined you accompanying yourself on accordion while singing it.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 AM

@Art Deco:

With an accordion and a mad hat.
Google Adsense