PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Maly Modelarz Model Contests > MM Ships

Old 10-12-2009, 01:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Cruiser Potiomkin - Maly Modelarz 1984.1-2

On last meeting of modelers in Poznan, a stack of old Maly Modelarz unglued models brought by Jorzik gave start to discussion about merits of gluing old MM models - with their breaking, panzer cards, low print quality, low precision in light of today standards.

I was defending position that old cards are easy to regenerate by impregnation with a glue - for example with BCG, and old models have great charm.

As that last time, after my excursion to paper models exhibit in Goleniow, I fell for old Potiomkin, and bought the model, I've promised Jorzik that I'll show him my struggles with the old MM

The added bonus is that I have a model to start in Papermodelers Maly Modelarz competition :D

Model cards were first impregnated with BCG. Then, after painting some areas, covered with thin layer of cyanoacrylic glue, applied successively by fast rubbing with folded paper towel with a few drops of glue - the effect is almost matt finished, scratch resistant surface, while BCG stops cyanoacrylic glue from penetrating inside of card. So treated cards are very easy to handle and don't break when folded or curved.

I painted over the bleak, spotty black colour with thinned black acrylic paint, using a brush - fortunately painting Warhammer figurines gave me a lot of practice.

Canary yellow boards I retouched in a freestyle - the efect seems interesting. The lines between planks were indented with blunt knife.

The skeleton was glued onto thick card with butapren glue - it doesn't warp paper. Dry assembled it looks very promising.

I've glued the lower part of skeleton - and pressed with weights to stop it from warping into banana shape. As you can see the results so far came to a fruition :P
Google Adsense
Old 10-12-2009, 04:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looking good! - though that banana needs eating up.

My favorite style of ship. Will be following this thread with interest.

Tim
Old 10-12-2009, 05:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This will be a very interesting build, lehcyfer, given the historical importance of the ship, the challenge of the old kit, and your outstanding model-building skill. I enjoyed the photos of the models displayed at the Goleniow meet.

You also provide us with a very nice still life with fruit and ship framework.

You have mentioned BCG glue on several occasions. Is it widely available in Europe and do you know of an equivalent that might be available in the United States? I tried searching for it and found an amazing number of meanings for "BCG" []BCG] - What does BCG] stand for? Acronyms and abbreviations by the Free Online Dictionary., but no glue.

Don
Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Very interesting - I hope you scanned the "restored" sheets before you started cutting.

Yogi (there's no such thing as spare parts)
Old 10-12-2009, 07:11 AM

Tim Crowe - Banana was gulped down shortly after taking the photo, the framework didn't warped banana style :P

Don Boose: BCG stands for Brand Clear Glue - and, as I wrote here, it's equivalent in US is called O'Glue.

BCG is dirt cheap in Poland - the price is close to 0,25$ for 40ml stick of fluid glue, is perfect for contact gluing of pure paper little details, and for impregnating the paper - it's transparent and dries almost without a trace.

Retired_for_now: No, don't have scanner either

The ship is beautiful in it's uglines - I love the predreadnoughts
Google Adsense
Old 10-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the prompt response, lehcyfer. My apologies for causing you to repeat the glue information. I missed your original description of the glue and appreciate your patience and willingness to share information.

The late 19th and early 20th centuries was a fascinating period of naval architecture. You statement that Potiomkin is "beautiful in its ugliness" perfectly expresses the visual impression that Jim Reuter (Jimr) and I call "fomby" (see post 11 for the definition of "fomby": Fg champion/bellanca citabria).

Don
Old 10-12-2009, 03:45 PM

Don Boose: there's no need to apologise. Search of the forum for BCG doesn't give back any hits, but "brand clear glue" does - you might like to read some more.
FOMBY - nice word you coined with jimr

Today I glued top part of framework - except for the elements of board, because I think about spraying the bottom - this way I won't have to mask them

Framework after dry fitting (I filed away ribs to not to extrude above the spine) is succesively precisely attached with drops of cyanoacrylic glue,

and then "welded" with water based glue - here I use, equipped with very fine applier, tube of glue "klej introligatorski CR Magic" I bought few months ago and am delighted with- it glues firmly almost everything, leaving transparent seams - I use it everywhere I can't use BCG - there where glue can't penetrate surface of paper. To precise gluing I diluted Magic 50/50 with water and keep it in a small container - here I'm applying undiluted glue straight from the tube.

Assembled framework:
Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Beautiful work and useful information on adhesives!

Don
Old 10-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Very interesting, the repaint of parts, not a scan and then re-do thru a program, but by your talent w/a brush, nice, very nice. Your glue technique is note worthy and I will apply during next build! And to make all this even more interesting, you are working w/a kit mfg(MM) that requires the best of skill to build, of which you appear to be doing just that. Looking forward too more.:DRick
Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
This looks like it will be an interesting build. I look forward to seeing more. Thanks for the tip about book binding glue it makes perfect sense to use it for formers.
Google Adsense