PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Modded

Old 03-20-2010, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver

This contest is the perfect occasion to make something I have wanted to do for some time - the twin engined S-38 flying boat in small scale, and on red river paper. I already built it full size, and found it a very satisfying design, as long as I took liberties with the struts to make them fit. It was designed by Glen Volyn, who also did the ingenious S-39.

I like to make small scale seaplanes as "silver ghosts", printing them on the back side of Red River silver paper, then building them silver side out. Like all white "concept ships" only reflective silver. I was inspired by an exhibition I saw once in Meersburg, Germany of models of all of Dornier's aircraft - executed at 1:20 in metal. Very impressive.

So the model. I printed out the "regular" size and reduced it to 50% making it 1:100,and then print onto RR paper. This size saves on the RR paper, which is pretty expensive. One nice thing about RR paper is that it takes a crease or embossment well. By going over some of the lines with a ball-point pen on the white printed side, one can make nice lines appear on the silver side, showing the outlines of wing ribs, window panels, hatches , etc. I go over most of the features. With a little practice the lines come out pretty even. The other thing is that one always has the option of building the part printed side out, which I often do for engine parts, and wheels - given them the black contrast with the silver.

I failed to capture pictures of the first part of the process, before I realized my camera was perfectly happy to let me take pictures without the chip in place. So this starts in media res with the hull, lower wing and central upper wing already built.

Also added a photo of some of the rest of the "Silver fleet". Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-dscn1070.jpg   FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-dscn1068.jpg   FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-dscn1069.jpg   FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-dscn1076.jpg   FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-dscn1078.jpg  

FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-dscn1074.jpg   FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-dscn1075.jpg   FGMM Sikorsky S-38 at 1:100, in silver-display6.jpg  
Old 03-20-2010, 07:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Great subject. I was going to build it myself (love the zebra paint job) but I've got a few other builds to finish. What did the wingspan end up being after the reduction?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
Wow! Neat idea! Your "silver fleet" looks really classy displayed together like that.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
That's pretty neat! I like your collection. Now, where did you get that Grumman Hu-16 Albatros?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 PM

Thanks Willy - that is a Wilhelmshavener Albatross, much reduced. Also, among others the JFSchreiber Martin Seamaster, and Reimers Dornier Seeadler, all reduced
Old 03-20-2010, 08:48 PM

Wingspan comes out at 9 inches
Old 03-20-2010, 09:35 PM

Reviewing the file of comments on the contest, I realize I was wrong about the designers - Glen Volyn did this S-38, but "Mauri" did the S-39,and both of you are in this contest. My apologies, Mauri. (And now I understand your Avatar. It is Porco Rosso, from the best seaplane cartoon of all time, no doubt).

Both full stock models hang from my ceiling, and were great fun to build. Any chance one or the other of you is thinking about taking it to the next level, the S-40?
Old 03-21-2010, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
You got me! I just loooove seaplanes...
The problem is that the S-40 is too similar to the S-39 and if I had to do a big seaplane, I'd rather go for a China Clipper for example... I don't think there's any chance I will do that in the near future, but an Bv-138 or a Republic SeaBee for FG are much more likely to end up existing one day
Old 03-22-2010, 02:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Grrr... almost forgot to mention that your silver paper models looks awesome!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Awesome display, Rob!

Schreiber did a SEAMASTER? Where was I when that was available? I would LOVE to have a Seamaster in paper. I have the old Revell box-scale kit in the "other medium".

Wyvern
Google Adsense