PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Modded

Old 04-11-2010, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
FGMM Modded Yak 38 1/72 Scale

Hey, Gang!

Well, as you all know these FG kits are rather addictive and, so, I figured I would try my hand at this particular kit. I like the idea of this aircraft, although it is apparent it was not as successful as the Harrier...seems they used a separate turbine just for the lift capacity which was basically dead weight when in flight. I gather this limited the amount of ordinance that could be carried, and the kit suggests two of the four hardpoints are usually empty.

I actually built this kit once before, but something about the color scheme just didn't seem right to me at the time. After checking the internet I got the impression the common color scheme is actually a darker blue on the upper sides and a dark green on the underside. So, I revised the colors on the kit, but never got around to building it again, until this weekend. Between the outdoor work around the house and other tasks, I actually didn't think I would have the time to start a new build this weekend, but, as is a hallmark of the FG kits (at least the majority of them), I was actually able to make some good headway on this build in just a few hours today.

As we all know, the FG designs are rather basic, no formers, but preforming the fuselage is normally a good idea. This particular kit provides what I consider a rather unique way of forming the fuselage, basically cylindrical form, closed on one end, and a cone shape is inserted in the forward end to finish the shape. It actually works out surprisingly well, I think, but it takes a bit of patience to get the cone shaped front end properly located in the cylindrical formed after part, but when you squeeze the cylinder around the end of the "cone" it actually forms up the scoops on either side quite convincingly...simple but quite believable, if you ask me.

I still don't like the way the front cone shapes up, it just doesn't seem to work for me despite the many tries (I built the first one a few years ago and had to do this twice before I was somewhat happy with the shape, this one I almost redid the cone once again). The nose is just too pointy for what I think this fuselage should look like, and actually a bit long; I ended up snipping off the very tip of the misformed original and just rolled up a small white cone to form the very tip.

I also don't like the way the canopy forms up, it seems a bit too bulbous compared to the original, but this time around I just used the kit version...next time I will play around with the canopy and see if I can get a truer shape. With the original canopy it resembles a humming bird to me...rounded head and pointy snout!:D

I also feel there is a dearth of ordinance for this kit, and will try to form up a few more reasonable looking air-to-air missles (I gather from the kit these are AA-8 Aphids) and to give it four under wing hardpoints (the kit only gives you two). I might try to create a pair of those rocket pods as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

So, this is where I am so far...the re-colored fuselage complete with the humming bird snout...and a couple of close-ups to show the modified nose as well as an interesting scope along the back of the fuselage.

Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

Cheers!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Modded Yak 38 1/72 Scale-pc240002.jpg   FGMM Modded Yak 38 1/72 Scale-pc240004.jpg   FGMM Modded Yak 38 1/72 Scale-pc240005.jpg   FGMM Modded Yak 38 1/72 Scale-pc240007.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Looks great, Jim! You're correct that the real plane was a dud, with severely limited range, low payload, and major reliability problems. One pilot even had to eject in full view of a Royal Navy vessel, getting fished out of the water by his potential enemy. It's a wonderful illustration of the fact that a real-world failure can become a terrific model.

Yale
Old 04-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Thanks, Yale!

I gathered from the kit history that the ejection seat was automatic if the aircraft falls outside prescribed limits of altitude, rate of descent or attitude...rather an abrupt change of location, but the alternative seems to mandate that type of precaution.:D

I was able to spend a little more time tonight and added the wings. I hope to get to be able to do a bit of work on the landing gear and some of the other add-ons before getting to the scratch built ordinance packages. Here's what she looks with her wings added....

Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

Cheers!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
FGMM Modded Yak 38 1/72 Scale-pc240009.jpg   FGMM Modded Yak 38 1/72 Scale-pc240010.jpg   FGMM Modded Yak 38 1/72 Scale-pc240012.jpg  
Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very fine, Jim!

Those skills you have honed by building fully-rigged 1/600 merchantmen seem to really pay off when you apply them to these GIANT 1/72nd models.

Thanks also for the introductory essay. Well worth reading. I love that kind of addiitonal information!

Don
Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Thank you very much, Don, I do appreciate your very kind words!

I think it will be interesting to see how I can fashion the landing gear for this build; I don't like the 2D version provided as part of the kit, besides being flat they are not the right type or shape. Stay tuned!:D

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Maybe the plane was a failure but the model looks great.

I like how clean looks your build.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
WOW! Great model. Super clean on the cuts and build.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Very interesting Jim, I surprised with you build, I always thought that when this kit was not finalized like the real plane, excellent building.