PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Fiddler's Green Modeling Madness > Modded

Old 05-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Splendid job thus far... the petals on the nose are PERFECT - mind you, you have done quite a lot of those with the Rocketry side of model making, particularly the ET on the Shuttle Stack if my memory serves me well. Liking this a lot Yogi
Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Drill gauge makes very round tires (tyres?). Just a paper band coiled inside the hole with glue smeared on the edges, and one glue joint on the outer rim where the band ends will be done when the edge glue sets. Once assembled and blacked I'll cut this one in half to show the semi-submerged retracted gear.Yogi
Yogi,
Question about your using the Drill gauge for making very round tyres.

Do you somehow use the gauge to cut the tyres out of the card stock? Or am I misunderstanding your wording? If so could you explain how and maybe a pict or 3 might help.

thanks,

SFX
Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I'm just checking in while on vacation, and WOW!!!!! That's a great looking Spooky Yogi :D
Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
Yogi,
Question about your using the Drill gauge for making very round tyres.

Do you somehow use the gauge to cut the tyres out of the card stock? Or am I misunderstanding your wording? If so could you explain how and maybe a pict or 3 might help.

thanks,

SFX
Hey SFX. I think he is rolling these tyres from paper strips. If you look at the hole above and to the right of the black tyre you can see a ring of card stock in place that was wrapped around. I think you may have thought he was using it to place over the card stock and cut it. Hope this helps mate.

Cheers

Jim
Old 05-31-2010, 07:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post

Attachment 46866

Drill gauge makes very round tires (tyres?). Just a paper band coiled inside the hole with glue smeared on the edges, and one glue joint on the outer rim where the band ends will be done when the edge glue sets. Once assembled and blacked I'll cut this one in half to show the semi-submerged retracted gear.

Yogi
Now this is a great little tip. Many thanks Yogi.

Cheers
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Looks really great! Glad to see a C-47!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Thanks all,
Swampfox, Jeff has it right. I cut out the tire sidewall disks freehand or with a circle cutter if appropriate. The drill gauge simply supplies a form for the coiled up strip of card. The coil expands to fill the hole and makes a perfectly round tread section. By using several layers of card you get a good surface to glue the sidewall to (no little tabs around the tread or edge gluing) and you get a round tire that's easier to make than the alternative of laminating several thick card disks (more circles to cut). The strip of card is just a long, thin rectangle that's rolled up to fit in the hole.
I'll post more pictures shortly - including the all-purpose, portable hole (sometimes the best tools are the simplest).
Yogi
Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Eternal Member

Fiddly bits and fiddlin'

So, still making parts. The motors and nacelles are simple, elegant structures. You can see the joiner strips - black heavyweight paper (not card). For slight tapers it can be crimped to a slip fit, for steeper tapers it still needs to be notched or slit. The strip joining the seam that forms each cylinder is card to endure a consistent curve.

FGMM AC-47 repaint and tweaks-ac-47-14.jpg

The all purpose hole is useful for forming things like the bottom edge of the crankcase - just force the open petals into an appropriate sized hole to close them up, glue, and set aside.

FGMM AC-47 repaint and tweaks-ac-47-17.jpg

The hole is also useful for ensuring the nacelle is actually round when you glue on the face plate.

FGMM AC-47 repaint and tweaks-ac-47-18.jpg

This particular model requires a bit of fitting based on the wings' final airfoil. The regular sized one I built (C-47 from FG it is) had a flat bottomed wing (easy to keep in alignment) but this one has a round leading edge formed over a brass rod (thank you rockpaperscissors) so the fitting is quite a bit easier. The nacelles do have one problem area. There's a slit in the top, aft section to allow it to curve down to follow the wing. The corresponding bottom part (where the seam is) does not. Nor is the seam tapered so the part ends up actually curving away from the bottom surface of the wing. I did a bit of squashing on the previous build but wanted to avoid that here. So, after a lot of squinting and staring I slit the bottom aft part as well to close it down.

FGMM AC-47 repaint and tweaks-ac-47-19.jpg

FGMM AC-47 repaint and tweaks-ac-47-20.jpg

Fit is much better - leading edge opening doesn't really need trimming. A little rubbing with a bamboo skewer opens it up nicely.

Oh, tires. This may clarify the construction. You can wrap a strip of card around a mandrel/socket/etc. (thank you silveroxide) and build it up to size or slip the coiled up strip into a convenient hole and let it expand to size. Once set, you just glue the sidewalls in place. In this case, I cut the wheel in half. Inflight, the C-47/DC-3 wheels are semi-submerged in the bottom of the nacelles. Since I'm not creating wheel wells, I'll just glue them on the underside over the printed graphic.

FGMM AC-47 repaint and tweaks-ac-47-21.jpg

Yogi
Old 06-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Eternal Member

Butt joint seams

Series of the fuselage seams - butt joint avoids the exposed edges. Seams are still visible unless you cut just inside the lines on the parts. The parts fit on this model is very good as designed, so you'd need to think carefully about what adjustments would be needed if you cut the extra .5mm or so off when you took the line.

FGMM AC-47 repaint and tweaks-ac-47-graphics1.jpg

FGMM AC-47 repaint and tweaks-ac-47-graphics2.jpg

FGMM AC-47 repaint and tweaks-ac-47-graphics3.jpg

FGMM AC-47 repaint and tweaks-ac-47-graphics4.jpg

Cylinders/conics would be consistently smaller and shorter but the fit between tapers could suffer.

Yogi
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Looking very good Yogi. I think you're going to have a great AC-47 in camo.