PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds

Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
i suppose i can get back into the card modeling soon the flu really did slow me up and now the helping a friend sort out their house and now my mum had a big operation so really not in the kind of mood to go trying to cut paper just yet.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:16 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
take care of you and yours first of course Get well!
Chris
Old 10-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Something like this?

Off to the attic for a box&etc. Some re-stacking will be required. The Ranger's tower and HGA are removeable to help its survival chances. 1:100 rockets (E.T.Groen's Redstone) and 1:24 spaceprobes.
Historical display of surface vehicles, planes and space craft... needed!-cglibrary01.jpg

Yogi
Old 10-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Design Admin

sweet! thanks man
Old 10-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Design Admin

Well I better get started on this I will be going through what I have and picking out models for display at the libary.

Any suggestions for label cards? I want something easy to print myself (will prelabel them in some app) but I want something a little fancier than just a little folded tent...

Thoughts?
Chris
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Thinking along the lines of the comments you got at the last get-together; less is more. With an educational display you need enough space on the "label" for big print that not only identifies the model subject, but explains its significance. For me, that usually means at least large index card size to accommodate 14pt text (or larger) or a really good graphic (if I can find one). This may limit how many models you place so they don't crowd out the information (the models are bait but it's the educational aspect that allows you to explain why you spend so much time on this hobby - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).
The card needs to be placed to match the sight line of your intended audience. Flat on the surface is OK for a display table (down look angle) but almost vertical is needed for a display case - and keep in mind the height of the viewer. Pixar "Cars" would be down at the lowest shelf and the racier anime figures up high ...
If you print the labels on card, you can tape a simple folded triangle to the back to stand it up like a picture frame. If you have unlimited time you could finesse things and make a card box for each label (or any other solid geometric shape) with the text printed on one or more sides.

Yogi
Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 AM
Design Admin

yep - thinking along those same lines thanks for the suggestions!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Design Admin

Got a couple of great packages the last couple days

A magnificent array of subject from Chris Walas and some superb space related stuff from Yogi!

This will fit in perfectly and give me some good variation on the display!
Thanks!
Chris
Old 10-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
I'd definitely suggest trying to get every US space vehicle. Most of them are pretty simple builds. Over the last few days, I built the Delta 7 Studios Mercury and Gemini capsules, Ton's Apollo capsule, John J's Skylab and Mir space stations, a Hubble model (I forgot where I downloaded it from), and the AXM Space Shuttle, all in 1:144 scale. I'm thinking about doing part of the AXM International Space Station, and John J's SpaceX Dragon next. It's quite impressive to see how the size of all of these compare to each other. Right now I'm also doing several FG planes in 1:144 scale as well (FW-190, B-29, ME-163, Fat Man atomic bomb, X-1, X-15, F-22). It's even more impressive seeing how all the airplanes--even the B-29--are dwarfed by the shuttle. At first, I thought I might have scaled them wrong until I checked the actual dimensions. Are you going for a specific scale?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Design Admin

Hello!
No specific scale - just items that i can put in a timeline sequence that will both teach a little and show off our hobby a little - want to send me some of those?