PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds

Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove

Here's a little fellow I've been working on as a Christmas present for a minister friend of mine. I can easily see myself becoming obsessed with these automatons!

The three parts sheets:
Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-peacedove-parts.jpg
I didn't think to take a shot of them, but the accompanying instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

The parts which make up the internal crankshaft:
Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-mechanism-parts.jpg

And the assembled mechanism which goes inside the base:
Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-mechanism1.jpg

More fun to come! For those interested the download is available from the following site:
PAPERPINO - Paper Automata & more...
Old 12-17-2010, 09:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Oh, those are neat. Thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
You're welcome. I had to download every single thing on his page when I found it! I'm also sorely tempted to buy the George Bush oil well kit, because even though it doesn't really agree with my politics, I approve of anything the pokes a little fun at any political figure... it's good for 'em.

Continuing on with the build, here is a shot of the mechanism after being placed inside the globe base.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-mechinglobe1.jpg   Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-addedweight.jpg   Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-sliderandcrank.jpg   Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-wingparts.jpg  
Old 12-18-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
You're welcome. I had to download every single thing on his page when I found it! I'm also sorely tempted to buy the George Bush oil well kit, because even though it doesn't really agree with my politics, I approve of anything the pokes a little fun at any political figure... it's good for 'em.

Continuing on with the build, here is a shot of the mechanism after being placed inside the globe base.
Attachment 70593

Before closing up the base I used as large a stack of washers as I could get in the base without interfering with the crankshaft to add a little weight to the base for stability. It worked really well, if you set the whole thing over on it's side, it will stand itself up like a "weeble that wobbles but doesn't fall down!"
Attachment 70594

Here is a shot of the mechanism with the base closed up and the tube that the shaft slides through installed. The white shaft has to slide smoothly thgough the blue tube, and mine turned out to be a little bit of a tight fit. To get things working well I had to shave on the edges of the shaft, and then liberally coat the shaft with graphite as a lubricant. I just used a soft pencil, but I'm sure the graphite lube for locks would work just as well. (Might be messy though.)
Attachment 70595

And lastly here are the parts that make up the wings and are glued as a unit to the top of the white shaft mentioned earlier.
Attachment 70596

Enjoy, and more to come.

P.S. Could a moderator delete the previous, post, not sure how I wound up with a double post. Oops!

Last edited by jobeaux; 12-18-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Double Post.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera for a number of steps involved in building the body, but here are a couple of shots that show the wings in action:
Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-wingsgoup.jpg Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-wingsgodown.jpg

And here is the final result:
Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-peacedove1.jpg Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-completeddove2.jpg Paper Automaton: PaperPino's Peace Dove-completedeove1.jpg

The olive branch in her beak is made up of a double layer of cardstock, but I still manged to break it in half while cutting it out. Fortunately I was able to place the break in her beak, and I think it hides fairly well. Olive branch was glued in using CA glue, and also soaked in it to give some added stiffness. Now all I need is a little video of her in action. Merry Christmas, and enjoy!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Oh, that's nice. I contributed the cuboctahedral "globe" for that model...