PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds

Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
What makes a good model of a space ship . . . . . .

. . . . specifically Babylon 5 ones.

Although paper models is something I’ve only recently became aware of, I know there’s quite a few kicking around for ships seen in the Babylon 5 tv show.

What I don’t know is, what’s regarded as the most technically challenging to build (and why is that). Are all models scratch builds or do kits exist, if so who produces the best ones. I’m assuming due to the materials used there will be a size limitation, is that correct, or can techniques be employed (much like in resin builds) to strengthen the larger models. Do exhibitions exist, how long can they take to build, and what separates a great model from an OK one . . . . . . . . and where can half decent photo’s be found of them. ; )

After checking with the builders of course, it’s a subject which I’m thinking of adding to a “what fans get up to” section on an existing reference site on the show, and will be sitting beside interviews with a dozen or so Emmy award winners, production concept art etc.

Although the site already exits, I’m using this facebook page to play around with possible additions to it, including various fan based modelling – lego, resin, 3D, plastic kit , etc. and paper of course.

Babylon 5 - Some behind the scenes stuff | Facebook

Any info would be helpful to this newbie to the subject. ; )

Cheers

Google Adsense
Old 07-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Hmm. I have done little sci-fi stuff, I leave that to my 20 yo girl and she love sci-fi. However, some answers for models in general from a moderately skilled ship designer. I do not think size is limited, however, the bigger they are, the more sub-strcture and more formers and so on will be needed, as well as heavier card, or for large models, even foam or wooden substructres. Keeping the overall build size so that using 1mm card would be the best I would guess.

What make a great model as compared to just an ok model? Hmm. I think this is up to the builder. Some folks like my models because most are simple two day builds. However, other ship models can take months or longer. Both have their place. This would be a personal preference question. However, if it is an kit form. good instructions always bump up the overall quality factor.

Your other questions will need to be answered by a sci-fi fan I am afraid. Have fun!
CT
Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
There are several kits available. My Thunderbolt is the only "for sale" kit that I know of and is available through Ecardmodels. Depending on how you design/reinforce them, they can be quite large. For reference, check out these threads:

Gundam Unicorn 5x Bigger

Reaver Titan WIP

Sulaco 1:430 scale

Now, as to model kits, as I said earlier, mine is the only commercial (for sale) kit I know of. However, there are several sites hosting free models ranging from good to excellent. The scale varies from ship to ship:

Jay's Box of Sci-Fi CardToys | ...stuff hard to find anywhere else

DPILEGGI

Building time is determined by the skill of the builder, complexity and scale of the model. No exhibitions of B5 paper models exist as far as I know.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Cheers. Some good info (and links) there. I'm embarking on a steep learning curve here. ; )