PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds

Old 11-20-2013, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 518.43 MB
Burghead Harbour & Railway

I have decided to combine my previous articles on the railway and harbour into one new thread. I have not posted any articles for a few months as I have had to build a new goods shed and engine shed as I had made the others slightly over scale. I have finished laying the railway track and have made some some of the fishermans cottages and workshops. I have also made the station buildings and finished off the Harbour Inn. I have not fixed any of them down yet until I am satisfied they are correct. So far every thing is made from printed card or canvas effect photo paper . The grass scenery is also printed and given a sprinkling of electro static grass. I have a some resin kits of trawlers that I made before I got the paper bug and have placed them in the harbour. I have a Admiralty trawler that I have made as well as other paper ships that I have made. I have weathered all of the buildings and will be doing the same to the scenery. I have tried to get the semi derelict look of some of the buildings of that time . Over the past few years new buildings have sprung up all over the place so I have had to recreate the the way the harbour looked by backdating it to how I imagined it looked in the sixties.
With a bit of research on the internet I have found plenty of old photographs of Burghead. I have used these to help me get the model right.
Attached Thumbnails
Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010349.jpg   Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010350.jpg   Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010359.jpg   Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010360.jpg   Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010348.jpg  

Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010375.jpg   Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010383.jpg   Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010385.jpg   Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010403.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-21-2013, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Beautiful pictures, BobRO, you have done a wonderful job creating this miniture world. I sometimes wish I had the space needed to tinker around with model railroading - maybe someday.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Very nice looking layout. The texturing on the buildings lends a sense of realism to the scene.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Beautiful work! I think card stock buildings and such are great for model railroads. They look great and the cost is much easier to swallow.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Excellent work! The graphics and weathering are very artistic and realistic, your attention to detail throughout the layout is impressive. Please keep posting photos of your progress.
Google Adsense
Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 AM

Thanks for your comments. I found that the canvas photo paper give a nice texture to the buildings. Card on its own seems to reflect the light from certain angles and gives a flat look. I use pastels for weathering. When finished I give it a spray coat of hair laquer to seal it followed by 2 coats of Winsor & Newtons matt UV varnish to protect it from fading. I used stone texture from the many texture libraries on the internet. I have not been to Burghead so I used Google Earth for research especially Street View . This allows me to take a virtual journey around the town. I used Google to search for images of Burghead and following links on some of the websites I found some old old photos and some aerial views. This allowed me to eliminate some of the modern building and reinstate some of the older ones . I have also used Facebook and Flickr to find photographs. The research has been one of the enjoyable part of making the model . If you want to find out more about Burghead I recommend typing in Burghead and looking at the images and follow the links.
Bob
Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's a superb diorama/layout that gives a good sense of a harbor/railway scene of the twilight of steam days. Wonderful atmospherics.

Don
Old 01-12-2014, 03:39 PM

Burghead

Here are few photographs I have taken before Christmas. I have built 3 trawlers from resin kits. They are made by a Dutch firm called Artitec. I have also built an Admiralty 65 ft trawler which I down loaded for free. The resin kits are shrimp cutters of a European design so I have converted them into Scottish style boats. I have been putting ballast on the tracks and putting scenic static grass on to the model. The last few weeks I have been making point operating mechanisms using pushrods and installing the electrics underneath the layout. I have found a few more photographs that I took a few weeks ago so I upload them.
Attached Thumbnails
Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010376.jpg   Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010414.jpg   Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010416.jpg   Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010417.jpg   Burghead Harbour & Railway-p1010409.jpg  

Old 01-12-2014, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
I like a lot the harbor!
It will be very charming throughout.