PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds

Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.63 MB
Greetings

Any hand painting cant be compared to the SUPERIOR painting done with airbrush. When I bought my FIRST airbrush a council asked to the store owner who had years of experience selling airbrush equipment to art students, graphic design, modelers etc; He told me to buy an Dual action airbrush, told me that since the BEGINNING, my hands to adapt to using the trigger of airbrush, do not waste time with an single action airbrush , I accepted his advice and after three days of practice i had sufficient SKILL to obtain impressive results from the beginning . Friend not hesitate buy a double action airbrush, you get stunning finishes from the start without much effort
Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
For new starters to air brushing, the "cheapies" are are nice way to get your feet wet to see if this is going to be your cup of tea without dropping a load of cash. My first choice is to use the brush, but each to his own preference. I have achieved results which have been more than satisfactory for my tastes with the noted air brushes. I use a 3 gallon Campbell/Hausfeld air compressor. Fully charged to a100 psi in the tank, I can usually paint what I want on my model with no noise before the tank is depleted, after that drying time is required anyway at which point 10 minutes of a noisy recharge is necessary.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am following your TS Travestein build, did you hand paint the weathering? If you did, just wondering why you would hand paint and not airbrush?I think the dual action brush for $40 from Princess auto would work for me, but what air compressor do you recommend?My thinking is you would need a compressor with a tank storage, maybe from PAuto or Ctire?Then there are paints, what and where would you get those?I have Reeve Gouashe brush paints from Micheals, can you mix those with water and use in an airbrush, or is there a special type of airbrush paint?
Old 04-12-2014, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I looked at CT and PA and they have compressors from $60 for a small tank and about $100 for a bigger unit;
Powermate 1 Gallon Portable Air Compressor | Princess Auto
so if I bought the dual air gun and cheapie compressor I could be into airbrushing for about $100 to test it out.

I am fairly artistic and good with a hand brush, just curious about airbrushing and how it woks on paper models. My thinking is the airbrush would be better for finer detail and accuracy, as my eyes and finger dexterity are not as good as they used to be.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmackie View Post
I looked at CT and PA and they have compressors from $60 for a small tank and about $100 for a bigger unit;
Powermate 1 Gallon Portable Air Compressor | Princess Auto
so if I bought the dual air gun and cheapie compressor I could be into airbrushing for about $100 to test it out.
These compressors are great for filling tires or powering low CFM power tools like air nailers.
CFM is too low for operating a paint sprayer of any type, however an airbrush might
run acceptably but only at low pressures, spraying very thin product.
They tend to run frequently since the tank capacity is small, contributing to the low CFM*.

They are very noisy...annoyingly noisy.

You will find this type of compressor a poor choice for airbrushing.
[CFM is the amount of air that can be delivered quickly (and constantly). Cubic Feet per Minute]

Since an airbrush is a smaller version of a paint spray gun, it is used as such when spraying paint over larger areas of a model.
And in scale modeling, airbrushes are widely used for spraying soft edge paint effects (like camouflages)
and for adding shading, dirt and smoke streaking, and colour gradients.
They are also good for spraying through stencils to create crisp graphics, markings, etc.

The airbrush will not make your vision any less important...in fact, aim becomes more important.
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
I think the dual action brush for $40 from Princess auto would work for me...Then there are paints, what and where would you get those?I have Reeve Gouashe brush paints from Micheals, can you mix those with water and use in an airbrush, or is there a special type of airbrush paint?
Its hit and miss with these Chinese knockoff airbrushes.
Some are very sloppy and hard to use, whereas others perform acceptably.
They are much better made than they were 10 years ago.
But they are still not as well crafted as the versions they resemble.

How they look from the outside doesn't represent the internal manufacturing quality.
Its important that paint and air passages are crafted, machined, polished and chromed properly for smooth flow of paint and air.

Even if you find one that is not loose and sloppily assembled, it still may suffer from excessive paint and air flow related issues (eg clogging, spitting, and constant interruption)

This is my point...that $40 is better spent towards a basic Iwata.
I would recommend the Eclipse BCS, but the Revolution is a cheaper option:
Iwata Revolution CR4500-BearAir.com

I'm not a big fan of tankless compressors,
but this type will work well for small work (like model painting):
Scorpion I Compressor-BearAir.com

Your local hobby store has waterbased Model paints....most of which will go through the airbrush above without any reduction.
.5mm tip will spray just about any type of paint.

If you have a local art store or craft store, go and check out their "airbrush" paints which generally come in small dispensing bottles in every colour and finish you can imagine.
Stay away from Dollar store craft paints...they are cheaply made, too thick and inconsistent. They also don't thin well.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Get a real compressor with a tank and regulator. You still should find a small one for under $100 USD.

Go to your art store, not craft store, and get a bottle of Golden or Liquitex "Air Brushing Medium." And a bottle of airbrush cleaner. Follow directions for both. When using water born paint, you can never be too thin, nor clean the airbrush too soon, nor too often.

Be aware that water thinned paint and paper is not a heavenly pair.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
Quote:
I am following your TS Travestein build, did you hand paint the weathering? If you did, just wondering why you would hand paint and not airbrush?
I hand painted the entire model. No original printed colouring was left. I hand painted as I am not all that proficient with the air brush yet. Need to spend time practicing it.