PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds

Old 02-28-2018, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 110.61 MB
F-111 recommendation

Hey folks, I’m looking for a kit recommendation for an F-111. I want to build it as a gift to my Dad, who turns 80 this year. In the early 1960’s he did a 3-year stint in the US Navy, on “loan” from Western Electric (remember Western Electric?). He spent his entire service at Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque, New Mexico, assigned to the joint Air Force/Navy Nuclear Weapons Testing & Evaluation facility. He was on the team that designed the nuclear weapon arming and firing system for the F-111. He doesn’t need another sweater for his birthday, and I think he would be really geeked out by model of the ol’ Aardvark.

My general interest is tanks and trucks, so my awareness of what’s out there in aircraft is sketchy at best. I have the old Fly Model F-111 kit in my stack, but I acquired it 15 years ago and the printing is pretty bland. I could build that kit, but I’m hoping someone here can point me in the direction of a more recent and better produced kit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

As a side note: I owe my life to Kirtland AFB and the F-111! It was during this time that my dad met my mom. My mom was a high school teacher and was dating my dad’s roommate on the base. The roommate was an Air Force test pilot, and was reassigned to another location for a number of months. Before he left, he asked my dad to “look after my girl while I’m gone.” The rest, as they say, is history!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:31 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Sorry to say, there really isn't a good F-111 out there. I am a former 'Vark keeper (crew chief),
and would love to have one. I have worked with a couple of designers on the project, and
neither of them have followed through to completion.

There is also an old GPM kit of the F-111a, but I doubt the quality of such an old kit.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Neilio,

Thank your Dad for his service for me. Without these unsung heroes we would not have much of what we enjoy today.

Michael
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 02-28-2018, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
The GPM/Fly f-111 is actually not a bad kit. the original run in the old a4 booklet form was questionable but the FLY/GPM in a3 format 1/33 scale is fairly well detailed.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 110.61 MB
I pulled out the Fly Model F-111 I already have, and took a look at it. It's actually a lot nicer than I remembered. Also, I have some English instructions I printed out years ago from Saul's cardmodel. Plus: wooden wheels and a vacu-formed canopy!

So if what I have in hand is really the best option, maybe this is what I should build...

On the one hand, I have the kit, English instructions, a canopy and wheels. On the other hand, woof-- that's a lot of model! Pop's birthday is in May, maybe I should target Father's Day. Or Christmas. Or his 81st birthday.
Attached Thumbnails
F-111 recommendation-img_0264.jpg   F-111 recommendation-img_7904.jpg   F-111 recommendation-img_2471.jpg  
Old 03-01-2018, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
You can do it! Just think of all the time you save by not having to make wheels.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 03-01-2018, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Good luck with your build - that nose looks frightening !
Old 03-01-2018, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Good luck with your build - that nose looks frightening !
You're right! That nose makes me shudder.