PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds

Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I get the same error, it could be uhu or it could be his hosting company's choice to block foreign IP's, my guess would be the latter.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 04-25-2019, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
I'm getting the message, too. It looks like UHU has completely blocked all non-Japanese fans. No news has been given on his blog regarding this. Since UHU does not respond to ANYTHING it is unclear if this has happened on his behalf or due the blog software. I guess (and this is a very wild guess) that he tries to restrict distribution of his model(s) to Japan only in order to prevent piracy. I'm curious to see if this works; I highly doubt it. When he learns that his models are still being pirated after this restriction I could imagine he would stop giving the models away.

Granted, UHU may do as he pleases. However, the way he does it is not the Gentleman way. He has many fans outside of Japan and blocking them without notice is a major slap in their faces. This doesn't make any sense. If he doesn't want to be admired by them, why is he still showcasing his work? It would have been better if he had put his blog on private completely.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell-Fan View Post
...Granted, UHU may do as he pleases. However, the way he does it is not the Gentleman way. He has many fans outside of Japan and blocking them without notice is a major slap in their faces. This doesn't make any sense. If he doesn't want to be admired by them, why is he still showcasing his work? It would have been better if he had put his blog on private completely.
I understand and share your disappointment, as it the same as mine.
And I know you, the same as me and many others, like his designs
and admire his structural solutions, and the graphic details he adds.

That being said, and despite liking his designs, I'd like to play the devil's advocate here.
Maybe if we see things from another point of view we can understand better.

To start with, I don't think he even cared much about the out-of-Japan followers.
I believe it because his blog, kits and instructions have always been in Japanese.
Never in English or any other major global language that the visitors could understand.
He did, however, answered to each and every comment made on his posts.
Most were in Japanese, but to those of us who commented in English he replied at least with a few words.
Probably just being polite. Or probably he just likes to answer to all comments.
But if he had wanted his work to be more accessible to the rest of the world,
he may have used other more global means and language from the beginning.

On the other hand, many Japanese (and Korean) paper designers have been known
to have a strict policy on local distribution only, even if they're only free kits.
UHU was a rarity in that sense, offering high quality designs for free to anyone who
could find his page and (in the past) to anyone who could gain access to the library.
Even more of a rarity to have formerly teamed with the other forum in that.
But he was the only (or one of the very few) to be open to out-of-his-country downloads.

I am thinking of another factor here: the Yamato is incredibly complex and superbly documented.
The amount of detail he's adding is otherworldly. No other kit of a ship has been designed with such care,
not even by commercial designers. And UHU himself must know that. Of course he does know.
Probably he knows the Yamato will be his magnus opus, and, being an icon of Japanese military history,
he wishes it to remain in the hands of Japanese fans. Not much because of piracy prevention
(other released kits are still publicly available). I don't know if that's the case, but it may be.
Or he knows the Yamato will be a massive download (if he ever puts up a download of it).
Maybe because of the size he will only sell printed copies instead of offering a download.

Now, we agree that he can do as he pleases. And I also believe isolation
is not the best way to solve things. It is difficult to balance everything.

But yes, I also would have liked a warning about not being able to comment anymore.
I don't think a warning would be useful at all, if only to say good-bye.

Was it, as jaffro suggested, the hosting company decision? Probably that's why UHU did not issue a warning.
Was it his decision? He seemed polite enough to warn publicly about it.

Now, sure there are ways to surpass that restriction, and fake an IP to make it look as if you're writing
from another part of the world. But that wouldn't be "gentlemanly" either to impose such invasion.

So, yes Revell-fan. Even though I agree with you in a sense, we can also consider other factors.
I guess only time can tell.
The Yamato is just beginning. I don't think he finishes it in less than a year or two.
And you can add several months to that for him to make the beta build and correct issues.
And a lot can happen in the meantime.
Let's keep hope of change.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Yes, that is true. UHU does not owe anything to anyone but this goes vice versa; we don't owe anything to him as well. We should be (and honestly are) lucky and thankful for what he has given us. Rumours and speculation about his motifs do not bring us anywhere. It could be this or that but without anything concrete we are left in the dark.

The facts are that he knows about the issues. He does not respond to PMs and mails. He does not reply to the issue when it is brought up on his blog. There are quite a few fellow modellers who tried to get in contact with him with no effect. Language is not an issue here because many mails were also translated in Japanese and consisted of very simple and short sentences. He abandoned all Western paper modeling forums about a year ago. There has been no activity, log-in or simple "Hello" by him ever since. Not even those who could be considered close to him and who treated him and his work with the most respect received a reply. And this is very, very sad.

I don't know how this is seen in Japan but to those living in a Western society this is a very disappointing and puzzling behaviour. Again speculating about the reasons does not solve anything and thus is a waste of time. However, I too am curious to see what the future offers. So let's wait and see.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Yamamoto withdrawal therapy

These might offer some help in UHU02 withdrawal, high-res virtual models
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/yama...cbdcff6bcce4ef
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/yama...bc59f002af9881
and links to other virtual models of Imperial Japanese Naval Vessels
https://sketchfab.com/max_romash/collections/ships-of-japan

And this one has nothing at all to do with the Yamamoto, but it is fun to explore
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/littlest-tokyo-94b24a60dc1b48248de50bf087c0f042

Its probably not a go idea to go to the sketchfab site unless you have a lot of time to spare.
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2019, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I'm just hoping his Yamato model does become available, regardless of whatever weird and wonderful hoops he makes us jump through to get hold of it... I am seriously considering dedicating the year(s) it would take to build that, in all it's glory. As Ruben said, nobody has ever put as much effort into designing a ship model as what he is doing with that one... It would be a shame to not be able to have a go at it.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 04-28-2019, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.50 GB
If any one wants any of UHU02`s inventory i have almost his whole collection so i can send what ever There are 73 different models that i have in my collection, this includes some hard to get ones too.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:22 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_hart01 View Post
If any one wants any of UHU02`s inventory i have almost his whole collection so i can send what ever There are 73 different models that i have in my collection, this includes some hard to get ones too.
This exactly the reason why uhu02 has limited access to his models, people like you wanting to share the models without the designer's permission.

He wants you to visit his site, download the kits from his site, and build them.

Please respect the designer and their wishes regarding their kits.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-28-2019, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.92 GB
UHU02-san is the sensei master. I am not worthy to sing the praise of his designing greatness....
Old 04-28-2019, 12:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.92 GB
...but I too want into his kit library, and cannot gain access no matter how hard I try.
Google Adsense