PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds

Old 01-24-2019, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.99 MB
beginner

hi there
i have never tried to build a paper model, but when i was younger, i made a loft of models, like tanks, aircraft mostly wwll. so i have a little experience in model making.
about a year ago, i bought a model from "Wish" and it's the GMP bismark 128.
i thought it was a small model, easy to put together, well it's not.
but anyway i'll start with the hull, and what thickness of karton should i use
1 or 2 mm, i have both ?
secondly, is their any instructions for this model ?, i only have some drawings.
any comment will be helpfull.

best regards
preben (Denmark)
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Each model kit include instruction please read it and it will tell you what thickness to use. I would recommend to put this model on the side and start with something smaller to learn techniques and tricks.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
The instructions will tell you what thickness to use.

Generally card thickness is defined by * the more * the thicker the card.

The GPM Bismark is a popular model. There will be a lot of build threads on this model. They will be an excellent source of instruction

Tim
Old 01-25-2019, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Hi Charlie,

I’ve been looking at the GPM Bismarck 182 model after reading your post. I agree with Olo that this model is very challenging to a beginner paper modeler. You might want to try some easier projects to learn the techniques specific to the medium of paper. We have plenty of free downloads here, and there are many other sites with free downloads as well.

OTOH, the finished product will be magnificent. If you truly have fallen in love with this particular model, I’d suggest starting with some of the subassemblies. The lifeboats would be fun and give you some immediate finished mini-projects. The little floatplanes would be good to try next. They are very small at 1:200 scale, so be prepared for very fine detail work!

With GPM and many other publishers, the drawings ARE most of the instructions. There might be English instructions, but they will not be very detailed. The publishers sell their models all over the world, so diagrams are more universally understandable than written instructions.

At the beginning of the step-by-step instructions, there will be a short table with the special symbols used by that model. If your instructions are only in Polish, Google Translate (or any translator program) is your friend. Pro tip: Use an online Polish keyboard first to get the special characters, then copy & paste. For example, in the GPM model I am working on, the instruction:

“części oznaczone gwiazdką - podkleić na tekturę 0.5 mm”

means “Parts marked with a star - glue on 0.5 mm thick cardboard.”

We’re a beginner-friendly group here. Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish.

Anne
Old 01-25-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olo View Post
Each model kit include instruction please read it and it will tell you what thickness to use. I would recommend to put this model on the side and start with something smaller to learn techniques and tricks.
thanks, but i don't have any instruktions, and i think you are right about the build.
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amccombs3 View Post
Hi Charlie,

I’ve been looking at the GPM Bismarck 182 model after reading your post. I agree with Olo that this model is very challenging to a beginner paper modeler. You might want to try some easier projects to learn the techniques specific to the medium of paper. We have plenty of free downloads here, and there are many other sites with free downloads as well.

OTOH, the finished product will be magnificent. If you truly have fallen in love with this particular model, I’d suggest starting with some of the subassemblies. The lifeboats would be fun and give you some immediate finished mini-projects. The little floatplanes would be good to try next. They are very small at 1:200 scale, so be prepared for very fine detail work!

With GPM and many other publishers, the drawings ARE most of the instructions. There might be English instructions, but they will not be very detailed. The publishers sell their models all over the world, so diagrams are more universally understandable than written instructions.

At the beginning of the step-by-step instructions, there will be a short table with the special symbols used by that model. If your instructions are only in Polish, Google Translate (or any translator program) is your friend. Pro tip: Use an online Polish keyboard first to get the special characters, then copy & paste. For example, in the GPM model I am working on, the instruction:

“części oznaczone gwiazdką - podkleić na tekturę 0.5 mm”

means “Parts marked with a star - glue on 0.5 mm thick cardboard.”

We’re a beginner-friendly group here. Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish.

Anne
Hi Anne

many thanks for your answer.
You are right, it's a big model and it's listet as "very difficult, advanced"
But i think i'll try and learn during the process.
I start with the hull structure, it seems fairly simpel, then move on, as you sur gest, with the small builds, lifeboat ect.
regarding instructions, i have three drawings of the superstructure and deck, and one drawing of the hull, that's it, no written instructions.
thanks for the tip regarding translate.
I have decided to use 2 mm karton for the hull, because it's total length is 122 cm, and to get some stiffness.
already now i can see a lot of questions coming from my side, but i will post them as the Assembly progress.

Preben

Preben
Old 01-25-2019, 10:47 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Preben,

Did the model kit arrive as a large A3 sized book?
if so, then instructions in Polish would be included.
if not, then you got a reprinted copy of a scanned model.
it is still a good manner to learn how to build a model, but you will not have the original designed model at the end, but a reduced in quality and detail copy.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Preben,

You’re welcome, ask anything you wish! The hull framework pieces fit together “eggcrate” style. Measure the slots in the pieces for a clue to the thickness of cardboard. It should be obvious which thickness will fit.

Rearding what Rickstef said, your kit should have looked like this if it is a genuine GPM, and not a scanned copy. Try to always get original models and stay away from scanned copies, they are always trouble.

Anne

Last edited by Amccombs3; 01-25-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie1708 View Post
Hi Anne

many thanks for your answer.
You are right, it's a big model and it's listet as "very difficult, advanced"
But i think i'll try and learn during the process.
I start with the hull structure, it seems fairly simpel, then move on, as you sur gest, with the small builds, lifeboat ect.
regarding instructions, i have three drawings of the superstructure and deck, and one drawing of the hull, that's it, no written instructions.
thanks for the tip regarding translate.
I have decided to use 2 mm karton for the hull, because it's total length is 122 cm, and to get some stiffness.
already now i can see a lot of questions coming from my side, but i will post them as the Assembly progress.

Preben

Preben
Sorry to say that but you can't just decided to use cardboard that you think is right for you. This way you are just asking for more troubles later on with the build. I am also pretty new to the hobby. I am working on my fifth model. I started with Schelswig Holstein model also from GPM and I wish I had started with something simpler. It was a waste of the model. As mentioned before you don't need written instructions to build paper models, pictures and diagrams speak for them self. Also If you need help with translation I can help since my mother language is Polish. Good luck with your build. Also if you starting the hobby with not original product (I hope not)but scanned model from web site it is not the best start :( Just saying respect to those who designed the ship and published...but good luck with your build

Last edited by Olo; 01-25-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Preben,

Did the model kit arrive as a large A3 sized book?
if so, then instructions in Polish would be included.
if not, then you got a reprinted copy of a scanned model.
it is still a good manner to learn how to build a model, but you will not have the original designed model at the end, but a reduced in quality and detail copy.

Rick
It came in A3 sized book, looked exactly likke the picture from Anne.
Google Adsense