PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds

Old 10-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I also forgot to mention that I did not ge the second table so I think my display was too cluttered...

One guy stopped by my table and looked at it and said "This is your first craft fair isnt it....." Bad sign! But he followed up with lots of help

He told me that in some cases less is more. It was too hard to see the individual planes and since my real goal was to sell kits and not the planes themselves (although that was intended too but not the main directive) he suggested I get more creative with my display. Suggested a green felt table cover with a runway on it if possible some hangars and such possibly build a BIG control tower out of paper to put above and behind the table to attract attention. LED lights along the runway etc etc. make a real scene that will show fewer planes but make it seem more real and induce people to want to talk about them. Say maybe have ONE of each type of plane on display but have many liveries printed for each plane type when someone shows interest. If the display gets bought put up another plane to replace it.

Also get planes up off the ground by suspending with poles with a line run between them. This will get peoples attention from afar....

If I do this idea I will likely build in a modular format to fit different table sizes much like building a modular train layout. Power can run through prefabbed connectors (If I add electricity) This is just food for thought as it takes a lot of time i dont have right now
Chris
Old 10-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Design Admin

Hey Billy! We cross posted before one story I liked to tell everyone is how one of the x-15's on the table flew all the way in from Holland
Chris
Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Congratulations, Chris, you've done a good thing for the hobby... again.
Chris
Old 10-16-2010, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 126.00 MB
Send a message via MSN to n810 Send a message via Skype™ to n810
good lord the hook looks big on that table...
Old 10-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Design Admin

yeah! the hook genrerated some interest purely for its size and also because its russian thanks for sending it!

Chris - I am to to more too!
Chris
Old 10-16-2010, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Just a suggestion, but putting some of the photos on ecardmodels.com would give people some idea of the relative size of the models. I, too, was surprised by the size of the stomp rocket planes (and the P-59, Mi-6, etc.) Some people build big models for impact, I like small model so I can have more in my limited display area. The photos give a good comparison and will help my future buying decisions.

I add my thanks for going above and beyond for our community. Like your avitar, I give to a big two thumbs up. Don't forget to take the Zenith CH-701 with your photo on it to the EAA meetings!

Finally, I would still like to get some photos of the Mi-6 if you get a chance. Also, did the change sheet for it ever show up?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Design Admin

What is a change sheet? I will try to grab some pics soon - I kinda forgot sorry!

I have roughly 700 models I need to get pics up for yet... its an extremely time consuming process that I am getting some help for... in fact I need to call him soon to work out specifics. When i changed site design it broke my old picture setup :( if anyone is bored and feels like doing extremely time consuming boring tasks like adding pics let me know

I got the plane with my photo on it setting next to our table
Chris
Old 10-16-2010, 06:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Way back on post #91, n810 stated (in regards to his Mi-6 model)

"I'm going to be revisiting this one soon, and will be sending to Chris some parts for it, including formers and updated instructions. Hopefully he will decide to make those a freebie for anyone who has bought it.

It also prints out great at 2 sheets/page for a smaller, more manageable model."

I was just wondering if you ever got the changes he made to the model.

In hind sight, I'm not too surprised that not that many models sold. The basis of the hobby is in the building of the kit, not the end model itself. Kind of like life, it's the journey, not the ending, that's interesting. I guess if you flew/drove/piloted a specific piece of equipment that was on display and lacked the time or skill to build it yourself, you would buy the finished kit. Otherwise, it's more fun to "build your own" than purchase a premade model. Still, many of the models you got are true works of art, way above my abilities.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Design Admin

i have not gotten anything from him yet - he pops on here - feel free to drop him a reminder!
Old 10-16-2010, 09:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Great to hear that the show was a fun adventure....great stories of the day. Very nice of that one guy to give you pointers for the next show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
I have roughly 700 models I need to get pics up for yet... its an extremely time consuming process that I am getting some help for... in fact I need to call him soon to work out specifics. When i changed site design it broke my old picture setup :( if anyone is bored and feels like doing extremely time consuming boring tasks like adding pics let me know
Depending on how difficult the work is, I can possibly help with this on my free time. Just know though....if it entails knowing how to build a website per say, I can't help much....never built up a website before.

However, if all that needs to be done is copy and paste links from one place to another so that the picture shows (like hot linking a shot here to the forums) then I can surely do that. Or, if there is some directions I can follow to slowly but surely link 700 photos into the shop...that I can do. :D
Google Adsense