PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Yeah, Billy, I got it from the download section. Before I attempt to colour the big one, please tell me if the colour schemes are correct? Is there an instruction sheet somewhere, like those one-page exploded views that come with the models that are sold on ecardmodels?

Papermate
Old 01-24-2012, 05:41 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I'm no expert, but if you Google Zeppelin Staaken for images , even a graphic texture shows up :roll eyes:
and yes, there are no instructions yet
Old 01-25-2012, 02:26 AM

Guys, I have updated the repaint by adding wings spars and wing struts. Sorry if you have already printed them. Originally, I intend to make my own struts and leave out the wing spars but that may not be other's preference, so - repainted version 2! It's a jpeg file with high quality. The limitation to uploading it with this thread precludes me from saving it at max quality. If pdf, it will be more than 21 Mb. I understand that sidewinder is building this bird in the orginal (1/43 or 1/44?) scale, so it will benefit all if he can post more step-by-step build pics as he goes on.

Papermate
Attached Thumbnails
Zeppelin Staaken-staaken-repainted2.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Sidewinder isn't building this one. I redesigned a simpler Oddball style version.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:08 PM

Please take a look at page 80 of your thread upcoming models. I thought he was building it as he has attached a photo. If it wasn't this one, then I'm sorry!

Papermate
Attached Thumbnails
Zeppelin Staaken-p1220034.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-27-2012, 11:46 PM

That's the new one. I can tell because of the gunners tubs.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 28.80 MB
Hi Papermate. It looks like the color scheme you are using is a gif from Roden's 1/72 scale Zep/Staaken kit. (I'm assuming this because I found it also after doing a google image search.)
Well, it seems the colors are completely incorrect.
You can read some info on this here...
Zeppelin Staaken R.VI bomber camo

From this same thread there is a "slightly more accurate" lozenge pattern from Windsock although there is some dispute about that too. :(

Anyway, I plan on using the Windsock scheme since I just like the way it looks. 100 percent accuracy may be impossible anyway.

Oh, and thanks for the newer repaint too!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Aaron

Thanks very very much for releasing the model on the download section. I started building the re-color mini model, and it is doable even by someone with indifferent modeling skills. And in tiny scale I do not feel obliged to add the rigging the way I would in a larger scale.
I had wanted a Zeppelin Staaken model for ages and ages. Now I have one.

Aaron underestimates his design skills and I hope that he continues to push his boundaries, design more paper models of off beat subjects, and finds a market for them.
There were a heap of Zeppelin Staaken variations that used the same wing plan as the R6, that would make nice follow ups (two float planes, versions with cockpit extending to nose, versions with nose engines, different fuselage, more MG stations, ect.).
I am sure there are a lot of forum members who would like to see models of them, as well as the Barling Bomber.

If any one here downloads and builds a Zeppelin Staaken based on Aaron's plans, please consider sending him a Paypal thank you gift. Hopefully we can encourage Aaron to release more models.

PS The only fault that I can find with the Zeppelin Staaken model is that it does not have the "sting in its tail", the cutout out in the fuselage floor for the rear machine gunner to shoot through
Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 PM

Thanks John. At the time I designed this one, None of my reference material mentioned a tail gunner. The Oddball version has the sting.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Zeppelin Staaken R.VI Card Model in The Making

Hey, papermate,

That looks like a very fine Zeppelin Staaken repaint indeed! Will you make it available eventually, alongside Aaron's beta model?

I found this web site, BTW, which mentions Charles Gosse's lozenge camo cloth samples in the text - scroll down to the bottom of the page under the 'MY CONCLUSIONS on Upper Colors' heading:
5 color lozenge
These samples are apparently some of the most accurate, according to well-known WW1 authority Dan-San Abbott over at the Aeodrome Forum (bjosey's original link):
Zeppelin Staaken R.VI bomber camo

Blue skies!
/ Bengt in Stockholm
Google Adsense