PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 12-24-2010, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Hey, Murph, great minds thinking alike, etc.

I have never been into model railroading but have always wanted to. I've even warned my Adorable Wife that I want to do one of those layouts wrapping around the basement once I am really retired. But I was looking at the trains that are offered and noticing not only the prices but that they don't really match what I want to put into a layout.

Hmm. Models? Models I want that aren't there? CAD software? I want to do just what you are describing. Please post your tests and trials. They will be very interesting. I'm just trying to figure out how to model the Oregon sky in winter...

Carl
Old 12-24-2010, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Now ironically, Zealot has both paper and model railroaders amongst their members. Not a lot of cross-over between the two groups, from what I've (casually) observed, however...

Free-lancing? Models "that aren't there"? That's where I think paper modelers have a huge advantage. Don't know whether to say ya'll can think outside the box, or that ya'll just cut the box apart and turn it into fantastic models!

I'm definitely going to be following this thread (and whatever other threads it spawns) with interest.

Glenn
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
paper train of thought

For mass and a rigid base try some 0.064 brass. Brass is one of the few metals that can be cut with a scroll saw or jewelers saw (small coping saw that uses pinless scroll saw blades).

Here is an image of an S-scale (1:64) Polish engine that would be easy to replace the paper chassis with a running version and use the paper upper body.

George
Attached Thumbnails
Had an idea-engine.jpg  
Old 12-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
For sizes scale drawings and the like any of the model railroader mags will have at least one or two per issue check out used store and hobby shops they sometimes have old back issues to get ride of.
I had a couple of boxes full of them at one time, and a huge binder of nothing but plans for all kinds of cars, and such. I even had a book for the scratch builder doing exactly what you are wanting to do. Sadly I lost all of it when My storage unit was broken into, lost a couple of grand worth of HO trains, models kits, and lots of other stuff...Blocks of wood such as pine are good for weight and for attachment points. Fishing weights help also.
Jeff
Old 12-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 105.62 MB
Great idea. Not into the whole model RR aspect of it,
but I would like to build a nice caboose in O Scale.
My Grandad worked in a saw mill right beside the tracks
for most of his life. Grandad is gone, so is the caboose,
it sure would be nice to look at one and remember both.
Good Luck with this project Chats
Google Adsense
Old 12-24-2010, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Miles Linnaberry mentioned Clever Models. They have disks (expensive, to my mind) of cars, including a caboose, in HO scale. There's a gallery which shows it. How one attaches the trucks and couplers is not directly obvious, but they might have a tutorial of some kind, given that it's to their business advantage that customers know how to attach the blamed things.

Garland
Old 12-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I hope this isn't off topic. When I lived in Ridgefield, Ct. I was at the transfer station unloading when I saw a guy with a Suburban smashing a sheet of plywood an HO scale town and buildings on it. I did not get their soon enough and he had just busted it all up. He was complaining how he just purchased this house and had to buy a "Railroad Display" because the previous owner did not want to take it out of the house (I think he got the house from a really old retiree). I was flabbergasted that he destroyed houses and factories, bridges and the like, as they were worth a small fortune. I asked him what he did with the trains and informed him they could be worth some money. He said he had already thrown them away, as he was holding a rather large box in his hands at the time I surmised he was in the process of doing just that (what is called down South a bold faced liar, New England is full of them). He tossed the box into the refuse trailer and left. My friend ran the transfer station, I gave him a nod, he retrieved the box with the backhoe and inside was a Bachman 4-8 4 Locomotive w coal tender, a Bachman "Burlington Northern" engine (don't know designations too well) and about 8 assorted cars and bridges, digital controller etc.. Enough that all I have to do is buy some track and start making some buildings etc.

The stuff is out there and some people give this stuff (or as in this case throw it) away. Keeps your eyes peeled and hit tag sales. Tet stuff is there for the grabbing and Spring is usually the best time to go hunting.

P.S., I think you have a good and marketable idea, train accessories are getting ridiculous.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
You are a lucky guy. I probably would have started crying watching that guy smash up a good layout.

If only cardstock conducted electricity, I'd figure a way to make rails too.

I wanted to use either paper pad backing or cheap plastic signs for the base because I wanted 1) cheap, 2) readily available, 3) easy to work with, 4) inexpensive.

I don't have a clue where to buy sheets of brass, steel or other stuff, and don't have the tools to work with them.

And I plan on making it easy to figure out how to attach the trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Had an idea-paper-rr-car-base.jpg  
Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
You could imbed paper with graphite and a conductive glue (or tape), of course I want a small percentage of the new biodegradable train sets if it pans out!!

I just looked at your plans, they have 2 way tape that would work extremely well for what you are contemplating.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
You are a lucky guy. I probably would have started crying watching that guy smash up a good layout.

If only cardstock conducted electricity, I'd figure a way to make rails too.

I wanted to use either paper pad backing or cheap plastic signs for the base because I wanted 1) cheap, 2) readily available, 3) easy to work with, 4) inexpensive.

I don't have a clue where to buy sheets of brass, steel or other stuff, and don't have the tools to work with them.

And I plan on making it easy to figure out how to attach the trucks.
If you use HO scale trucks, the majority are attached with 2-56 screws. Don't know the N scale standard off the top of my head.

Glenn
Google Adsense