PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 12-24-2010, 11:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm happy to see several references already to the fine work of Clever Models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I don't have room or enough money to do it right now.
Murphy, if space and funds are considerations, two ways that model railroaders handle this:

* "book shelf" layouts - layouts small enough to fit on a short shelf. They might depict a small geographical area, maybe a couple of spurs servicing a street of factories. They can be fully functional.

* "modular layouts" - model railroaders with limited space/time/funds team up into clubs, each member builds a modular section(s) of a layout. They establish standards for module size and how they inter-connect. The modules are small enough to be easily transported. Occasionally they get together, link up the modules into a major layout, and run their trains together.

I attached some example JPGs below. Micro/Small Layouts has lots of ideas and photos.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Attached Thumbnails
Had an idea-bookshelf-layout-1.jpg   Had an idea-bookshelf-layout-2.jpg   Had an idea-bookshelf-layout-3.jpg   Had an idea-bridge-module.jpg   Had an idea-mountainmodule1.jpg  

Old 12-25-2010, 12:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Deco View Post

* "book shelf" layouts - layouts small enough to fit on a short shelf. They might depict a small geographical area, maybe a couple of spurs servicing a street of factories. They can be fully functional.
Then, of course, there was this gem: Jules Verne Submarine Pirates

Maybe a bit more whimsical than what you are after, but I like it nonetheless!

Glenn
Old 12-25-2010, 01:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Murph, something else you might look for on Ebay is bulk lot of old model RR magazines....those from the 60s and 70s are loaded with articles (and patterns) for scratch building rolling stock and structures, most of them intended for card stock as the primary medium. Keep looking in the Ebay model RR section for lots of trucks and couplers....I picked up a fair selection of that kind of stuff last year. I was hoping to be doing just what you are contemplating by now, but back problems destroyed the time table I had for finishing the portion of the hobby shop intended for the layout. I agree with the previous postings recommending brass strip for the base of the RR cars, both for strength and weight.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Murph (and others)-

I would recommend this book as another source for ideas and techniques.

Do you know yet what you want to model, rolling-stock wise? I might be able to help with plans...

Glenn
Old 12-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Matt Bergstrom, of the Build Your Own Chicago site, has some suggestions for attaching N scale chassis to his Elevated Trains models.:

http://www.buildyourownchicago.com/TrainChassis.pdf

Thomas
Google Adsense
Old 12-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 190.42 MB
Hi murphyaa:
I still do some modelrailways. I presented here in "architecture" or "dioramas" a tray entitled "Nowhereville".
Got from modeltrainsoftware the model of the store. They have it in several scales to choose from
modeltrainsoftware
http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/freebuilding.html

The outhouse got it from papercreek, but i'm affraid the link isn't online anymore. health problems in the familly, stated there for a long time.

The tray is a self-service tray that a friend of mine (also a railway modeller amnd quite curious what in the heck i want a small tray for...) offered me a new one from his suply shop.
I'm currently (12 monthes...) designing a mockup of a narrow gauge steam loco that will fit a Kato mechanism (some USD24.00 in JapanPlaza ebay). You can also use from Bachmann the Plymouth motorized chassis.
In my particular case I'm doing a mockup to check on paper if the fit is ok; then will build one in plastic. But I'm seriously considering to better detail it in paper and airbrush the final touches.

Now, if you want to give a try in modelling a pike with paper how about browsing
cleverstop
http://clevermodels.squarespace.com/
They have some freebies along with tutorings. And most interesting, they sell a CD with railway papermodels. I think the small investment would pay off as it would allow you to learn this particular building process (involving moving parts).
Lastly, I would recommend you to check Carl Arendt's site
http://www.carendt.com/
There you'll find some very interesting low budget micro-layouts. Paper as a building material is not a tabou around here. You shall find some layouts using paper and cardboard.
Best regards
Carlos

Last edited by carlos filipe; 12-25-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: mispell correction