PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 03-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
You add it to the surface, under object properties. The color is considered a texture, also, you can add textures, like canvas cloth, etc. Like everything in Rhino, there are many ways of doing it.

Not sure why the picture on the left is so jagged. I don't know what type of computer or video card you use, that could have something to do with it.

Your panel lines are so outstanding, they could making anything look incredible! I think you have some of the best, it not the best, panel lines I have ever seen.

I tried to recreate the jagged look of that pic on the left, I couldn't, so it could be a hardware issue. Not sure how you got that pic out of Rhino either, I find printing to file yields a much better result.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I figure it's a hardware issue too. If I set my monitor to anything above 16bit, Rhino has a heart attack.

Also just found out I had render mesh properties set to jagged and faster. There's my problem...

How do you add colors and textures? I can't locate object properties.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Banned

This is all viewed from the "Top" Viewport. I made a sphere, I downloaded from the Internet, a "metal texture". I then clicked on the Sphere and on the right side (see pic "AA1"), the Object Properties Box popped up, Select "Basic" and underneath, "Material". I then clicked on Texture/Map File on the box on the same line to the right, that opens the navigation pane and then you navigate to the texture you downloaded. I selected it, then clicked "Open". Make sure you put a "check" in the box by the word "Texture", that is in blue. Right click on the word "Top" in the upper left hand corner of the Viewport, then click an open space, and the Sphere will have the metal texture on it. (see AA3)

I then downloaded a "checker" .jpeg, I clicked the sphere, click the + sign by Transparency, make sure you put a check in the box by the word "Transparency" Go all the way to the right on the line that says "Map File" to the little box, click it, and navigate to the checker you downloaded and select and click "Open", On Intensity, set it to 50%, the, click on an open space, then the word "Top" Right click "Render". Play with these settings to learn what else Rhino will do.

I selected a wood texture, did the same procedure as above but used "Environment", set it to 40%, and ended up with the final shape, printed to file, from the Perspective Viewport in jpeg. Please, Aaron, as others may not know, you and I communicate much, ask me anything you wish. If anyone thinks I am attacking Aaron, a prolific Model designer, I am not, maybe some do not know how much we communicate on and off forums. I am not accustomed to explaining myself. There are many in this thread whom I do respect, so I thought I should explain this.

I wished we lived closer, I have a 21" analog Monitor that goes to really high resolutions, and some smoking Video cards. Are you working on a Tower PC , or a Laptop PC? I have a really nice AGP X800 ATI Video card, with 512 mgs. of Video Ram. I would give you this stuff if we were close. I am too broke to send it in the mail though. (the video card might be doable) It has outputs for Dual Monitors, which I run on all my machines.

Attached Thumbnails
Upcoming models-aa1.jpg   Upcoming models-aa2.jpg   Upcoming models-aa3.jpg   Upcoming models-aa4.jpg   Upcoming models-sphere-print.jpg  

Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 PM

I'm on an older tower, with a Dell LCD monitor (I think. It's Dell, and about 3 inches thick, as opposed to 18 inches, like a CRT monitor). I'm running the built in video card, and being an e-machine, I'm doubting it has more than 128mb memory.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 PM

Speaking of older piece-o-$#!* computers, mine just decided to crash and lose a half days work on the Devastator.

I saw it was slowing down, so I hit save.

Then it crashed.

Get it restarted, go to open up the file again: "File is corrupted and cannot be recovered".

At least it was just the Photoshop work. The model is still intact. I just lost all the work I did resizing, placing parts on the paper and the instructions.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 AM

I've been thinking into branching out into other lines of models, I've gout a couple vehicles, with others in the works, but I can't think of anything else. Spaceships, seaships and Scifi seems to be covered pretty well, and I don't have enough imagination to make my own stuff up. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Banned

Chieftan and Centurion MBT MKs III thru 5 Tanks. There is no model of it, and it has come up in many forums. I think you would have made the only one in existence. I think someone mentioned it in another thread you have. These tank guys really love their tanks. I think you would have a hot item. There are lots of varieties. I posted in that thread someone should ask you, I guess I should of. Weird I did not think of that? You name was the first one that popped into my head!! Link to thread below.

Centurion MBT MKs III thru 5
Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Hmm. I'll have to look into it. I just found pics of an interesting version of the Sherman tank called the BARV (Say it fast, and watch any kids in hearing range giggle)- Beach Armored Recovery Vehicle. An essential piece of hardware to keep your beach landing area clear. I'm gonna try and give that a go.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I completely support the notion of an Oddball Productions Centurion Mk III through Mk V MBT family, and variants.
Likewise, the Chieftan MBT family is not (as far as I am aware) represented in paper modelling.

I can suggest a unique family of vehicles, all of which have the same 6x6 chassis but differing bodies, and few if any of which have been represented as paper models.
Alvis Stalwart: Amphbious Military Cargo truck. Alvis Saladin: Armoured Car.
Alvis Saracen: Armoured Personnel Carrier. Alvis Salamander: Amphibious Fire Engine.

In naval models, I can suggest five unusual vessels.
An X-Craft miniature submarine such as attacked the Tirpitz.
an XE-Craft, same shape as above, but slightly enlarged for service in the Pacific against the Japanese.
A Delphin miniature submarine, evolution of the Seehund class (more or less).
A Seeteufel miniature submarine, basically a Delphin on Panzer IV tracks.
A DSRV. Deep Submergence Rescue Vessel, USN.

As far as I know, few if any of the machines I have suggested have been modelled at all, let alone modelled in card or paper.

I admit: Stalwart, Saracen, and Saladin have been done as diecasts and in styrene, though even so they are relatively rare.

I'm willing to help with pictures and research if necessary.

Zathros, Thank you my friend for suggesting the Centurion to Aaron, I'd intended to do so but ended up going to bed before I had done so.

Kind and Respectful Regards Aaron my friend, Uyraell.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 36.39 MB
One suggestion for a different branch of models could be armored tanks and APC's. A few ideas for those branches would be a Russian T-55 MBT, Russian BMP-1 thru 3 APC, US M48A2 Patton MBT, US LAV-25 APC or LAV-AD Anti-Air, and the US M113A2 APC. Just my 2 cents.