PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 03-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Could you imagine if the Coast guard sent a Mako or two out to Somalia? Those pirates wouldn't know what hit them.

I've decided for my second armored model (After the half track) will be this funky duck:

Attachment 122014

Otherwise known as a BARV (Say it fast for a quick giggle), or Beach Armored Recovery Vehicle. Used to tow unlucky tanks and landing craft off of Normandy Beach during D-Day.
The limited range of those helicopters means that the pilots would have had to row them out there. Most of those pirates never know what hit them, or if they do, it's only for a few minutes. Then all memories are gone. I missed when this became a fiction thread?

Tanks, Aaron, diversify, sell, make money, build Tanks....If you build them, they will come!!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Tanks have lots of little fiddly bits on them though. And lots of wheels. Have I mentioned I hate rolling wheels recently? The BARV will have 16 total.

BTW, for the Chieftain, does anybody happen to know where I can find some pics of the undercarriage? I'd really like to know how the road wheels attach to the chassis. Every pic I can find either has the side armor on, or is at a bad angle that shows nothing.

This is the ODP upcoming models thread. If it's an ODP model that's gonna be released to the public, it goes here. I never made any guarantees that I'd stick to reality.
SMWulph is pretty good at doing repaints. If he wants to do a different model, I'll be happy to help (UPS or FedEx version of the Dornier DO-31 maybe? :-P ...hmm...)

Some day I might even go off the deep end and start making my own stuff up.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
This page should help with the Chieftan. It includes a link for a pdf of the instructions for Tamiya's 1/25 r/c version; *British Middle Tank Centurion Mk.III (Plastic model) Tamiya 1/25 Military Miniature

If you do design one, this page shows what you could make afterward; Space 1999 Catacombs- The Infernal Machine

Scott K.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I re-read mu post, I should have asked when did this become an other than "Murphyaa"s Projects thread. I think people would welcome something of your own design. Remember one thing about tanks, wheels and tracks, that is what Beta builders are for!!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:09 PM

Progress on the BARV. Since I'm gonna be designing about 85% of a Sherman anyways, I figure I'll also do a Sherman Tank as well.

Upcoming models-tank.jpg
Old 03-17-2012, 08:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Chassis bits: be prepared to be shocked.

I went in search of details of Centurion chassis and running gear.
Mostly, Centurion running gear is sufficiently similar to Chieftain running gear that one need not worry too much, at least in anything under about 1:35 scale.

I found some images, though the condition of them depicted is somewhat of a shock to Armour Fans.

I'm including the entire folder thus far, which contains a few extra pics of vehicles that have recently been discussed. I had to split it into two zipfiles due to upload tolerances on the forum server.

"Bits 2" contains the pics of M3 medium running gear, which is useful to some degree for M4 (early-models) running gear.

I hope the details are of use in the design.

Kind and Respectful Regards my friends, Uyraell.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tank Chassis Bits.zip.zip (862.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: zip Tank Chassis Bits 2.zip.zip (271.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 PM

Cool. That should help a lot. I didn't know you could post zip files here.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:58 PM

You can post zipfiles IF they are under about 986Kb.
I'm uncertain of why the size limit, but hell, it's not a hassle to split pics into a few folders if needed.

I'm glad the info might prove useful Aaron, I'll add more if I find it.
One note about the M3 pics. The butchered thing with the open driver's position had late-model M4 tracks (rubber pads in the grousers) on the left side, but late model M4 sprockets on the right side (plain metal grousers).

Kind and Respectful Regards Aaron my friend, Uyraell.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:25 AM

Status on the Devastator:

Beta build done. Everything looks good. I fixed the minor tweeks visible in the pic already.
Upcoming models-devastator-1.jpg

I even added full wheel wells.
Upcoming models-devastator-2.jpg
I have no idea how the torpedo was hung. In pictures of the real plane, it almost looks like it's recessed into the fuselage somehow. I just glued it to the bottom.

Upcoming models-sample.jpg
The colored version is done, I just need to find a way to print in color due to my printer only printing in black and white.
Plus for some reason my printer ink runs badly whenever I touch it.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:37 AM

Your model is looking fine Aaron.

The torpedo was semi-recessed on a 1-forward 2-rearward retracting claw-mount.
Sort of
| Cc |
| |
| |
| |
| Cc Cc|

if topmost here is towards the tip of the torpedo, and lowermost is just ahead of the main joint before the torpedo tailcone.

It wasn't the most reliable of mountings, but was the best design of mechanism available at the time. The small C claw rotates upward into the larger C claw as it were, and the torpedo falls clear of the aircraft.
As I understand it, this was among the very last of the 3-point style/form of torpedo mounts to then be employed.

I hope the info helps Aaron,

Please pardon my attempts to draw in typeface: the forum formatting software refuses to leave the "sketch" as I wished it to show.
| of course = the torpedo outer casing.

Kind and Respectful Regards Aaron my friend, Uyraell.

Last edited by Uyraell; 03-18-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Typeface sketching attempt.