PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 03-29-2012, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
There is a spar box. The problem is the huge hole you have to cut for the wings. The forwardmost edge of that hole nearly touches the joint, creating 2 very serious weakpoints.

Niki, if you are reading this, can you chip in on how you managed it? You build the coast guard version, but when I looked through the posts here, I couldn't find them anymore.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
All my models with through wings are designed to have the wing hole cut out after the fuselage is glued together and had a chance to dry.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
How about some pancakes?

Attachment 123321

Had one of those "AHA" moments last night, and figured out how to do this one.
I'm going to try to get over to the Frontiers of Flight museum at Love Field this weekend a get some pics of the restored V-173. If time allows me to! if I can i'll post some pics......Rich
Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Progress on the Flapjack.

Upcoming models-img_0016.jpg

Is it possible to design beyond your build skill level?

Yes. This puppy is it.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Quote:
Progress on the Flapjack.

Attachment 123410

Is it possible to design beyond your build skill level?

Yes. This puppy is it.
I do that all the time. That's probably why I have so few finished designs (my Mars Lander in interplanetary cruise configuration comes to mind...)

Despite that, there's plenty of people around here who can build (and do it very well) anything we can throw at them .

Scott K.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Aaron, the shape is way off. It looks like you inflated it with air. Should look more like the attached pics. I did these really fast and have not tweaked them. This is really close, extremely close, to what would be needed and the shape is correct. These pics are made off of the formers. You cannot run the same profile and loft it because , well, that's just not how it's done. If you look at a properly lofted surface, with doubly formed curves, the ideal shapes comes to life, but is inaccurate and would be near impossible to make with paper. The other shape would however, unrolls perfectly. The comparison between loft, and construction with formers shows the inaccuracies which can creep in when loft commands are improperly used, and making or using the lofted shape would require much tweaking to get the final shape correct shape, which could not be made using paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Upcoming models-p1.jpg   Upcoming models-p2.jpg   Upcoming models-p3.jpg   Upcoming models-p4.jpg   Upcoming models-lc1.jpg  

Upcoming models-lc2.jpg   Upcoming models-unrll1.jpg   Upcoming models-comp.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 PM

I copied the 3-view exactly. The reason it looks so puffed relates to my comment about my lack of build skills. Even though this one goes together well, I'm still gonna send it out for a beta / professional build.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Got the EF-129, looks like a fun model.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
I copied the 3-view exactly. The reason it looks so puffed relates to my comment about my lack of build skills. Even though this one goes together well, I'm still gonna send it out for a beta / professional build.
So did I. The "box" inside of the model would have to be doubly formed to hold the pieces on are the correct shape of the airfoil. I can see the box through the skins, so that means that the box is too big and shaped wrong. Also, because the box does not have the shape of the airfoil (a double rolled surface), it is always going to stick through the former and be the wrong shape. The overall shape in your render is too thick it appears.

Also, if you used the formers and skins I have drawn, there would be no separation and the leading edge would not look like that. As shown in the attached pic. I uploaded the file, zipped. I also attached the picture I used. You can use this as the background BitMap, or, even better, in the"PictureFrame" command. If you compare this, and use it as a bases, you will see the curves I used to "Run that rails. This will give you the shapes and you can run a spar through them, (you should have a leading edge, and trailing ed support too. If you decide you wish to use them, do so freely. Adjust accordingly! Everything is spaced out correctly, just do the necessary adjustments, you know what I mean. This is a good foundation for an accurate model, with your excellent graphics ability, your final product should be awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Upcoming models-leading-edge.jpg   Upcoming models-large.jpg   Upcoming models-wfrms.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pancake.zip (491.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Zathros; 03-30-2012 at 05:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 AM

I did the box by projecting lines onto the wings, then connecting the lines (planar curves for the sides, rail for the top and bottom. So it's the exact width of the wing at the front and back, and flat on the top and bottom. (I made it flat to avoid double curving on the top and bottom).

Upcoming models-flapjack.jpg

I broke the fuselage into more pieces to capture it's curves better.

Last edited by murphyaa; 03-30-2012 at 06:19 AM.