PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 07-28-2011, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
The main thing I look at when designing a model is what kind of reaction it causes with me. If I look at a plane, and the first thing I think is "Cooooooooooool!" Then there's a good chance I'm gonna design it.

If other people happen to want to buy it, all the better. Like someone once said, "when your hobby becomes work, time to find another hobby." As for time... this is my hobby, it's supposed to waste time. If I really get into a model, I can go from blank screen to finished card model in 2 days.

I ask what planes people want to see designed not to see what's popular, but so I get pictures of cool planes. Every once in a while, I see one that gets the above response. Other times, I get a "Meh, it looks just like every other plane made in that period. Zzzz..." response.

That's why I called it "Oddball Productions", not "Just Like Every Other Designer Productions"

*Falls off soapbox while waving arms wildly*

Last edited by murphyaa; 07-28-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Hmm. That came off as a bit too pompous. Vote me for President in 2012.

Seriously, That's how I choose models to design. It's nice if they turn out to be popular, but that's just the frosting on the cake. (Now I'm hungry for cake)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
B-45 or RB-45 now that's one that you will not find just anywhere!

Murph...... I sure hope it throws a hankering on you!

john

My Drawings
Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 PM

That one struck the "Coool" nerve a while ago. It's just waiting for my skills to improve a little.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.63 GB
Prowler in NON-Stanard Camo

I know the EA-6B Prowler isn't the most exotic or unusual aircraft BUT I've only seen in paper once from GPM not a simple or quick build.
Plus I did find this interesting looking paint schemes.
Personally the Retro 1944-45 and the Red White & Blue are the prettiest.
Attached Thumbnails
Upcoming models-ea-6b.jpg   Upcoming models-grumman-ea-6b-prowler.jpg   Upcoming models-100thnavelairpaint.jpg   Upcoming models-retro_paint_ea-6_coral-sea_centennial_of_naval_aviation.jpg   Upcoming models-ab_48028_p2.jpg  

Upcoming models-ab_48028_p1.jpg   Upcoming models-grumman-ea-6b-prowler-3.jpg  

Stefan Wulph
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.31 MB
Ill do each of those prowlers as soon as they hit ecard....im a retired artist but i still paint every day ..landscapes flowers ...birds..so people still say would you paint a ......for me...standard answer is no ...im retired but if i happen to paint one of those ill sell it to you...im 75 ....am i never going to
to get to play with my airplanes??
Old 07-29-2011, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
The main thing I look at when designing a model is what kind of reaction it causes with me. If I look at a plane, and the first thing I think is "Cooooooooooool!" Then there's a good chance I'm gonna design it.

If other people happen to want to buy it, all the better. Like someone once said, "when your hobby becomes work, time to find another hobby." As for time... this is my hobby, it's supposed to waste time. If I really get into a model, I can go from blank screen to finished card model in 2 days.

I ask what planes people want to see designed not to see what's popular, but so I get pictures of cool planes. Every once in a while, I see one that gets the above response. Other times, I get a "Meh, it looks just like every other plane made in that period. Zzzz..." response.

That's why I called it "Oddball Productions", not "Just Like Every Other Designer Productions"

Quote:
Hmm. That came off as a bit too pompous. Vote me for President in 2012.

Seriously, That's how I choose models to design. It's nice if they turn out to be popular, but that's just the frosting on the cake. (Now I'm hungry for cake)
Some might see that as "pompous"...
I see it as telling it like it is.
Not beating around the bush.
Not sugar coating the reality just to spare some hurt feelings.

Sometimes I get criticized for being blunt...maybe even "mean"
but thats not whats its about...thats generally just a misunderstanding.

Theres no point in doing what others want if it doesn't please you.
And theres every reason to do what satisfies you regardless of outside interest.

This is not a bash at anyone else who has posted here,
I just found it very refreshing to see Murph stand up and tell it like it is.
Its great that others get involved and share the input, but ultimately its a case of doing what makes you happy the most.

Good thread everyone!!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:18 PM

I stopped designing for Fiddlersgreen because there were too many restrictions, requirements and regulations. Every model had to be designed a certain way, every page had to look just right, and it had to be done within a certain time period. And I didn't get to choose the models. If I can't get into a model, I don't get the little bits of inspiration at 2am that helps me figure out how to make a certain piece work.

Speaking of that "Coool" effect, I saw a movie of one of these in action, and had to get it started.
Attached Thumbnails
Upcoming models-heavy.jpg  
Old 07-29-2011, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post

Hi Aaron you are absolutely right. The important is you pleasure, the rest is the rest. I'm very happy with you choices for subject models and more happy with you catalogue, for me is a satisfaction pay every cent for AH-56, Learjet, Bronco, Skymaster, Cayuse.

I believe is a customer for your all creations. I long awaited F3D and AJ-1 paper models. B-45 is a dream...

Regards my friend, and the important is your enjoyment...
Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I've said ti before, and I'll say it again. If you decide to do the B-45/ RB-45, let me know. I can get you as many walk-around pictures (maybe even interior) as you want.
Google Adsense