PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 11-03-2016, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
That's what I get for using the internet. One site I found says the gull gray was the personal Liason aircraft for the Commanding Officer at Quantico MCAS in the 50's. Another said it was in Korean War Pacific Theater markings. I'm gonna lean towards the first one, since it says "Quantico" on the tail.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Aaron, looks like the colour of the first Corsair is a bit too dark and resembles the black colour of the Black Sheep. This is what I saw on the computer screen for comparison.

Papermate
Old 11-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
The Gull Grey & white Corsair is actually an AU-1 used exclusively by the MARINES..........a group famous for saying "If it ain't broke use it until it is and can't be fixed anymore; then go get something else nobody doesn't want anymore and use it until it breaks and can't be fixed and repeat......... " I truly believe they will be using A-10s eventually.

cut and pasted from: Chance Vought AU-1 Corsair

AU-1 (XF4U-6)
The final version of the Corsair to enter American service was re-designated as an attack aircraft after the prototype stage, which had been given the designation XF4U-6. The AU-1 was developed during the Korean War, and was used for ground attack missions by the Marine Corps. It used an R-2700-83W engine, providing 2,300 hp, slightly down on the power available in the F4U-5. Its top speed also dropped, partly because of an increase in armour. Armament was the same as in the U-5 – four 20mm cannon. The wing root pylons remained, while the number of under-wing rocket pylons was increased to ten. The first AU-1 flew at the end of January 1952, in time for it to take part in the last year and a half of the Korean War. The Corsair had several advantages in Korea. It could use short runways and had a longer range than most contemporary jets. Finally, it was old technology. While the U.S. was wary of using the most advanced jet aircraft over North Korea, in case they were forced down intact revealing technological secrets, use of the Corsair posed no such risks. However, piston engined aircraft were virtually obsolete by the end of the Korean War. The Corsair would see no more action in American colours.

Don is correct in that all Korean Era Corsairs that served in action over there were in the Midnight Blue or Flat Black (as in night fighter) including the AU-1 (although it was only Midnight Blue since it wasn't a night fighter)......... now there was some very interesting and spectacular squadron and personal markings applied during the war, but those were the only colors used in Korea. The Gull Gray & White scheme was introduced on 23 February 1955 and all naval aircraft were converted over piece-meal as it could be performed by each squadron............. and as usual there are some exceptions to this rule.....errr.........order. Mostly experimental schemes or paint trials.

One final tidbit........ the Naval Aviation Museum did have an AU-1 but sold it off to purchase other aircraft............

Here is another link that is specific to the color schemes used on Corsairs:

U.S. Navy Aircraft History: A Brief, F4U Corsair-oriented History of Navy Color Schemes and Markings

My Drawings

Last edited by John Bowden; 11-03-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Eternal Member

Oh.. and again........ a quick down and dirty way of telling if it is a WWII Corsair or a Korean War era Corsair is count the blades........... 3 blades = WWII............. 4 blades = Korean War and later. This is in US service, I'm not sure about foreign bent winged birds.......... you are on your own on them...

My Drawings
Old 11-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Eternal Member

onr more thing........... found this picture and felt it needed to be posted here............I would not want to be on the other end of the stuff this baby could haul!
Attached Thumbnails
Upcoming models-98e250e952a15fae_large1.jpg  

My Drawings
Old 11-03-2016, 09:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
Aaron, looks like the colour of the first Corsair is a bit too dark and resembles the black colour of the Black Sheep. This is what I saw on the computer screen for comparison.

Papermate
The TV Birds were Gloss Sea Blue and I'm not sure how far off from Navy Blue it looks when viewing it on a screen. if printed on flat paper for the Jolly Roger bird and Glossy paper for the Baa Baa bird it may improve the look.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:50 PM

As near as I can tell, the top color on the tricolor markings, and the overall blue use the same shade of blue.

I usually go by this chart:
Upcoming models-usa_camo_2_book.jpg
Old 11-04-2016, 02:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
When I looked at the scale conversion page of your webstore, I noticed that the Ilyushin IL-40
had no scale specification. So, I made a quick build of the fuselage of the plane and can now
conclude that the fuselage of the model IL-40 measures about 14" and the real one's length
is given as 678", and thus the scale should be 1/48.

Papermate
Old 11-04-2016, 07:06 AM

Cool. I was hoping somebody would do that.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Just for fun I was browsing for Corsair pics, and came across these:

Upcoming models-14936902_10210870200620194_902033244_n.jpgUpcoming models-b80fa312c2d1193d14aaa6d0bc10a102.jpg

My quick and dirty Corsair model has become a major project.