PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 11-10-2016, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
The first page of the yellow bird again.

Papermate
Attached Thumbnails
Upcoming models-bell-rp-63-kingcobra-1.jpg  
Old 11-10-2016, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I'm slowly working on making my site a "One Stop WWII Shop", so I thought I'd dust off some older models and freshen them up, as well as doing some repaints (A new camo version of the He-111, and the Pima P-63 are in the beta queue now)

Strange thing about the P-63 is that I couldn't find it anywhere online. I could have sworn I released it, but I searched every combination I could think of on Ecardmodels, and it wasn't there.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I'm slowly working on making my site a "One Stop WWII Shop", so I thought I'd dust off some older models and freshen them up, as well as doing some repaints (A new camo version of the He-111, and the Pima P-63 are in the beta queue now)

Strange thing about the P-63 is that I couldn't find it anywhere online. I could have sworn I released it, but I searched every combination I could think of on Ecardmodels, and it wasn't there.
You did release it in FG about 3 years ago. In yellow and as Pretty Polly, a contempary P-63 flying out of Palm Springs airport.

You want pictures? Or are you going to do a new redesign ?

Swampfox
Old 11-10-2016, 10:08 PM

I've got pictures. I did do a new repaint though.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
Oh.. and again........ a quick down and dirty way of telling if it is a WWII Corsair or a Korean War era Corsair is count the blades........... 3 blades = WWII............. 4 blades = Korean War and later. This is in US service, I'm not sure about foreign bent winged birds.......... you are on your own on them...
It's a bit more complicated than that, but yes 3 blades = F4U-1/F4U-1D/FG-1/FG-1D/F4U-2 = WW2 only in US colors.

The F4U-4 had 4 blades and did see service in the last year of WW2. It was also used during the Korean war. The US Navy still had a few when the gull grey scheme was introduced. The fabric covered surfaces (outer wings, rudder) kept the midnight blue scheme while the rest of the plane was painted in the new colours (the remaining AU-1 of the USMC got the full version of the new scheme).

The F4U-5/F4U-5N/F4U-5NL, A-1 and F4U-7 (French Navy) are definitely post-WW2 and had a revised canopy (more bulbous than the original bubble canopies of the late production F4U-1 and F-4U-4) and all metal wings.

The last dogfights between piston engined fighters happened in 1969. Honduras used F4U-4s and F4U-5s against the FG-1D Corsairs and F-51D Mustangs flown by El Salvador. Major Fernando Soto Henríquez shot down one F-51D and 2 FG-1D in his F4U-5N.

edit: there are some pics of an F4U-4 in that mixed scheme at the bottom of this decal sheet review.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Back in Action! I'm working on a few versions of the F4U Corsair. So far I've got Jolly Rogers, and Black Sheep Squadron done.
Wonderful - the RAF (Fleet Air Arm) in camo would be wonderful, and the all-blue Robert Gray VC scheme would be welcome.

The Corsair is a great addition to the collection.

Regards,
John
Attached Thumbnails
Upcoming models-brit-corsairs-sm.jpg   Upcoming models-corsair_brewster_mkiii_jt96_wartimecolour.jpg   Upcoming models-rhg18.jpg  
Old 11-11-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonjohn View Post
Wonderful - the RAF (Fleet Air Arm) in camo would be wonderful, and the all-blue Robert Gray VC scheme would be welcome.

The Corsair is a great addition to the collection.

Regards,
John
Check out the Corsairs page on my site. Those are the versions I'm doing (except the British one, I couldn't find a picture of the camo version, which is the version I did).
Old 11-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Carlos is correct the "4-Hog" (F4U-4) was introduced with a 4 bladed prop and did start reaching squadrons at the end of 1944 early 1945.......... but the majority of the WWII Corsairs did have the 3 bladed prop.

I should have said that with all rules there are exceptions, but if you see a 3 bladed Corsair in either USN or USMC colors you can bet it is a WWII era bird.

My Drawings
Old 11-11-2016, 10:33 PM

Don't forget the chin scoop. I've noticed it (and included it) on several versions.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
The chin scoop is present on the F4U-4 and F4U-7 (same engine). The F4U-5 has 2 "cheek" scoops. The AU-1 had the cheek fairings but no scoops.

The french navy F4U-7 is basically an AU-1 with the engine from the F4U-4.

edit: The F4U-4B used by VMF-323 during the Korean war had a very nice snake on the engine cowling.
Attached Thumbnails
Upcoming models-us-f4u-4-ws11-vmf323-usssicily-aug51-f4u.korea.85.jpg   Upcoming models-us-f4u-4-ws11-vmf323-usssicily-aug51-f4u.korea.cu.85.jpg   Upcoming models-us-f4u-4-ws11-vmf323-usssicily-aug51-f4u.korea.cu.86.jpg