PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > MurphyAA's projects

Old 10-22-2011, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Based on the models available at ecardmodels and their present scales,
here are the percentage conversions to get to 1/30 scale:

1/20 = 150%
1/28 = 107%
1/29 = 103%
1/30 = 100%
1/31 = 97%
1/32 = 94%
1/33 = 91%
1/38 = 79%
1/40 = 75%
1/41 = 73%
1/48 = 63%
1/56 = 54%
1/61 = 49%
1/70 = 43%

Hope this helps
Old 10-22-2011, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
The idea is very good, just think that would work well for customers in the United States and Canada (ok not know the import laws in Europe) to the flash drive users suffer foreign tax and import tax in the case of Brazil for example for me it would be uneconomical to buy the models Oddball this way ...

My two cents contribution ...
Old 10-22-2011, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Saving to .pdf's isn't a problem. Between inkscape and photoshop, which both can save to pdf's, I've got that covered. As for scale, I design to get the biggest model I can fit into 7.56in by 10.5in, which is a universal margin size, and also try to keep them big enough that my cranky fingers can build them.

I have a free program I found on the internet once that'll give numbers to convert between scales, I might include that on the drives as well.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Mini CDs are a good idea. Smaller in capacity yes, but easier to ship especially since models aren't huge. Besides, they're not subject to import/export duties if sent correctly.

I like both ideas, individual models and bulk buying. ZAR/USD exchange rate sucks at the moment, but nothing new there. I'll still keep buying though!

Regards

Niki
Old 10-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
From a retail point of view, you will probably get more models (CD's) sold if you cut the volume in half and charge $19.99. In this Economy, $40 bucks seems high for anything you can't eat, or put into your car. I would offer 4 or 5 variety packs, and stick with that. otherwise you will go nuts trying to accomodate every little request. Mini-discs are a great idea, but some drives have trouble reading them, albeit, mostly older ones.
Google Adsense
Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 AM

I've never liked the mini discs. I had a CD drive eat one once, and it destroyed the drive.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Have you done any market research to see if people would even be willing to buy the cd's? A simple poll here would probably do the trick. I think to get people to buy them you would also need to include some content not available on the web to make the more desirable. Its far too easy to download the one model you want at the price point you are charging for an electronic download than to justify spending $40 for 47 model when they may not want them all. At the price we are charging on my site (lets round to $4 to make it easy) they could buy 10 models from my site. They would need to want more than 10 models off your cd to make it worth their while plus they would need to wait for them to ship then they would still need to print them out at home to build.

Dont want to be negative but I think you need to come up with something to make it more desirable to purchase this way.... granted overall the price is way better this way and it would help those with very limited bandwidth but I think the market might be a bit small to go to the effort for stamping out cd's and shipping them.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Well, with us slowing release of models on your site to 1 a week, while I'm still designing at 2-3 a week, anybody buying a CD would have the potential of getting 2 or 3 extra models that wouldn't be available on the site yet. Also, I'm thinking of a hard copy backup. I don't know if you offer free model replacement if they lose the models in a crash, but if not, having a CD would be a comfort.

I could break the models down to a couple CD's, but the question is what to put on a CD.

One thing I could do is charge $2 per model, and the person could request any models to be burned onto their own personalized CD, with a minimum of 10 models per CD.

And as for content not available on the web, I could include the models from "Emergency!": Squad 51, Engine 51 (still in process), and the box ambulance (planned).

As to the poll, let's do it right now. Based on the above circumstances; ($2 per model, with a minimum of 10 models on the CD to equal $20, plus $5 shipping=$25), who would buy a CD?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Wink

Hi

I still prefer to download each individual model, for example some of the Rutan aircraft do not interest me, so for me it would just be a template stored on CD or HD. I think Aaron that you should do offer two options: keep the download in Ecardmodels of each model, and offer the CDs for sale, with the advantage of those who purchase the CD gets more exclusive content, after a few months, you can free download or sale in the exclusive content Ecardmodels and prepare one for the following semester.
That I'm on the edge of South America, I'm frustrated with the delay in postal services, the best choice for me is still downloading, but if the CD is really interesting why not?

Last edited by gomidefilho; 10-22-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:52 PM

The idea I had is to personalize the CD to every customer. You tell me what models you want on it, and I'll put them on it.
Google Adsense