PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Mid America Air Museum

Finally got all the photos loaded from my visit to the Mid America Air Museum in Liberal, KS on my vacation. It is located on the city airport which was an WWII B-24 training base originally. The building is a former Cessna assembly plant. A little dark and a lot of planes stuffed in there so its a bit crowded. The good point for me is its heavily weighed to civil aviation with both production and experimental aircraft with even a lot of the military ac's being more know for their civil versions.

Haven't got everything captioned yet, but burned out a bit for now. Any tips on how to speed uploading will be welcomed. Also can anybody id the small car? Couldn't find any info on it there and it had no markings that I could see. Don't know if it was a cobbled together parade car, or a cycle car maybe build in Kansas. And as usual I manage to find a Ford 8N tractor. Here's a link: 2010-9-13 Mid America Air Museum - whulsey's Photos Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Mid America Air Museum-1044568180_y5jte-m.jpg   Mid America Air Museum-1045240061_pa8s6-m.jpg   Mid America Air Museum-1045142454_fab8x-m.jpg   Mid America Air Museum-1044875670_bnm7v-m.jpg   Mid America Air Museum-1044637215_ulvor-m.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2018, 01:11 PM

Was talking with a friend about this museum and couldn't remember if I'd posted it. Did a search and found I had, but looking at how long ago decided to bring it back from the dead for all civil aviation fans.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great images, Wayne, as always!

Many thanks for posting.

Don
Old 03-18-2018, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Wonderful way to wile-away an hour! Thanks. Great photos....nice tractor too! (wonder how that got in there ). Jim
Old 03-18-2018, 08:20 PM

Thanks guys.

The Tractor: Will figure you're not a weird tractor conversion fan. That's a Ford 8N that came with 4 cyl flathead similar to a Ford Model A engine. Note that one has a 6 cylinder in it. That was one variety of engine conversions for more horsepower developed by the Funk Brothers in Kansas (and not those moron Funk Bros. skateboarders on tv and You Tube). The ones that were one of the many business in Kansas trying to develop light civil aviation and learning that the aircraft business is a lot like racing. Want to make a small fortune, start with a big one. Which is what their tractor conversions were, something to finance the airplanes. They did them with Ford flathead sixes and eights and the later Ford overhead valve six. Here's a couple of photos of the V8 conversion, one straight and another hot rodded. History lesson for the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Mid America Air Museum-ford-208n-20w-20funk-20v8-20conversion-20side-20rt-xl.jpg   Mid America Air Museum-ford-208n-20hotrodded-20w-20v8-xl.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2018, 08:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Hey, thanks!
Playing in Google for the sake of curiosity finds one can either drive there from here in 8 hours and 4 minutes; or, fly for a 10 hour-plus trip with stops and connections.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 PM

Or maybe just put your red slippers on and click your heels, since it only a mile or so from Dorothy's house. Don't land on Toto. And don't stay at the Quality Inn, it ain't - trust me.