PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 06-22-2008, 09:15 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
National Museum of the Marine Corps

Hi all,

This past friday, June 20th, 2008, my dad and I went down to Quantico/Triangle VA, to visit the Marine Corps Museum, on our way down to Richmond VA, for a wood turning symposium.

Pictures were taken, of the outside, and the inside displays.

I have uploaded them to my online album, so visit here to view them
http://picasaweb.google.com/rickstef...neCorps6202008

Hope you enjoy the pictures and if you are in the neighborhood, swing on in, you will be impressed

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 06-22-2008, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great photos, Rick. I have got to visit the Marine Corps Museum soon. I spent some time at Quantico, doing research in the Marine Corps University Archives, but the Museum hadn't been completed yet. My retired-Marine office mate has been there and gave a good account that whetted my appetite, but you have provided the first visuals.

Don
Old 06-22-2008, 09:28 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Don,

It was a must visit for me, I remember when it was dedicated back in 2006, I had just gotten to Dulles/Herndon for that year's paper model convention, and turned on the tv, and saw a news report on it, and this past November, when my dad and I went down to Asheville NC, we passed it on our way down, and I made the suggestion that I should go down there.
My dad surprised me that he wanted to go there too, so on Friday we went down, and spent 3 hours in the museum, Tun Tavern is a great little restaurant, and the Mess hall is great for bigger groups.

They are working trying to finance the next phase of the museum, it will probably double the available display space, currently at 10.5 Million dollars collected, and working towards 85 Million

The museum store is very well stocked with books, clothing, dvds, music, and all kinds of other memorabilia, I was able to pick up a book on the Marines of Twentynine Palms(I worked there for a year), and a book on the AD-1 Skyraider(favorite mud mover)
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 06-22-2008, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the additional info, Rick.

By the way, on my way in to the Military History Institute reading room in Ridgway Hall yesterday, I noticed a new shelter set up next to the M18 Hellcat tank destroyer exhibit. The explanatory placard indicates that an AH-1 Cobra is going to be displayed there. Since it was the weekend, there was minimal staffing at MHI, so I couldn't determine when the helicopter will arrive, but I will let you know. It's only about three hours from your place to Carlisle, you would probably like to see the other AHEC exhibits, as well.

Don

PS: A-1s. Yeah. I have a personal reason for being fond of the A-1. VNAF A-1s from Binh Hoa provided us (1/14th ARVN Infantry Battalion) with close air support in 1966-67. They could stay on station for a long time and carried a lot of ordnance. I can close my eyes and still see those gray Skyraiders circling overhead and on call.

Last edited by Don Boose; 06-22-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:30 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

I have lightened about 26 of the darkest pictures, and reuploaded them to the album, one of my favorite pictures is the one of the M-50 Ontos, it has 6 recoilless rifles mounted on it, originally offered to the Army, but rejected by them, The Marines took the Ontos and used it quite effectively in the street battles in Hue City, and elsewhere

Also, for you Gundam fans out there, the Ontos seems to be the basis for the RX-75 Guntank Gundam

Last edited by rickstef; 06-22-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-22-2008, 01:23 PM

I like the Guntank-Ontos connection.

There were some odd weapons systems in the late 1950s and early 60s. The Army didn't take the Ontos, but it did field the M56 Scorpion Self-Propelled Anti-tank system (universally known at the Spat) and then there was the Davey Crockett Weapons System -- the "Infantryman's Hip-pocket Nuke." Both were in the Combat Support Company of the Pentomic Infantry Battle Group. I could tell you stories!

Don
Old 06-22-2008, 02:12 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

I would be remissed if I would not list the url to the museum's website

http://www.usmcmuseum.org

the site will show the layout of the museum and the current displays.